theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling to Japan

Travelling to Japan

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Not sure how many of you have Japan on your list of potential holiday destinations but if you do,we've produced some new information setting out details of when your criminal record might be a problem. Read more here.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Deb S - 21 Sep 16 10:02 AM
Not sure how many of you have Japan on your list of potential holiday destinations but if you do,we've produced some new information setting out details of when your criminal record might be a problem. Read more here.

I have booked a flight to Osaka in August for 5 weeks as I have been invited to stay with my best friend. I have a SOR and although I could choose to not declare it, I do not fancy being found out. I am no danger to anyone (I never have been), and hope that on reading my landing card disclosure, that the Japanese immigration allow me in.
Is there any more information updates on this matter ?

I read that Japan does not have access to UK (my country) data bank, but do they have access to Interpol listing?

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Harry53 - 25 Apr 18 7:21 PM

I have booked a flight to Osaka in August for 5 weeks as I have been invited to stay with my best friend. I have a SOR and although I could choose to not declare it, I do not fancy being found out. I am no danger to anyone (I never have been), and hope that on reading my landing card disclosure, that the Japanese immigration allow me in.

I read that Japan does not have access to UK (my country) data bank, but do they have access to Interpol listing?

If you have been disclosing foreign travel to PPU, then if they have concerns they can issue an Interpol green notice, which the Japanese authorities will see. If they don't issue a notice, then if you don't disclose, they won't know anything about you other than what you tell them and what is in your passport.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Harry
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

AB2014 - 1 May 18 2:00 PM

If you have been disclosing foreign travel to PPU, then if they have concerns they can issue an Interpol green notice, which the Japanese authorities will see. If they don't issue a notice, then if you don't disclose, they won't know anything about you other than what you tell them and what is in your passport.

I cancelled my flight last year for this, but as I read that Japan does not have access to the UK Police database, it is only a risk entering if the landing card is completed owning up to the conviction, which would immediately ban any entry. Like to know if anyone has entered without problems
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Harry53 - 28 Jun 19 1:07 PM

I cancelled my flight last year for this, but as I read that Japan does not have access to the UK Police database, it is only a risk entering if the landing card is completed owning up to the conviction, which would immediately ban any entry. Like to know if anyone has entered without problems

Unlock have updated their information and advice on travel to Japan. It seems that if you were given more than a year in prison (including suspended sentences) or have been convicted of a drugs offence, you will be refused entry. No mention of any other restrictions, although they do ask about convictions on the landing card.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 2 Jul 19 8:45 AM

Unlock have updated their information and advice on travel to Japan. It seems that if you were given more than a year in prison (including suspended sentences) or have been convicted of a drugs offence, you will be refused entry. No mention of any other restrictions, although they do ask about convictions on the landing card.

Hi late reply.
Do you agree with my reading of the article that if your stay is less than 90 days you can get entry? 

Do I need a visa to travel to Japan?

If you are a British citizen or British national, you will be able to enter Japan as a visitor for up to 90 days without a visa. You will need to provide evidence that you have a return or onward ticket.With a criminal record, you can still travel without a visa for up to 90 days[/quote]

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Edited
4 Years Ago by JASB
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

JASB - 29 Jan 20 3:44 PM

Hi late reply.
Do you agree with my reading of the article that if your stay is less than 90 days you can get entry? 

If you are a British citizen or British national, you will be able to enter Japan as a visitor for up to 90 days without a visa. You will need to provide evidence that you have a return or onward ticket.With a criminal record, you can still travel without a visa for up to 90 days

[/quote]

Well, the government's advice says you may need to provide evidence of a return or onward ticket. It also mentions doubts about eligibility to enter Japan if you have a criminal record or have even been arrested. As always, there is no routine sharing of criminal record information between the UK and Japan.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 30 Jan 20 9:20 AM
JASB - 29 Jan 20 3:44 PM

Hi late reply.

If you are a British citizen or British national, you will be able to enter Japan as a visitor for up to 90 days without a visa. You will need to provide evidence that you have a return or onward ticket.With a criminal record, you can still travel without a visa for up to 90 days

Well, the government's advice says you may need to provide evidence of a return or onward ticket. It also mentions doubts about eligibility to enter Japan if you have a criminal record or have even been arrested. As always, there is no routine sharing of criminal record information between the UK and Japan.
[/quote]

Hi
I have literally just called the Japanese embassy in London to check if I would be allowed entry.
Though trip under 90 days so do not need a visa I would have to complete the boarding /entry card which asks about convictions and prison sentence over a year.
Taking we are all willing to comply so; in my case, say yes, I would be refused entry.
On thoughts of my saying NO, I'm assuming I would not get approval by the PPU as they would know /check the above rule.
That's another country off my list. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO