theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Criminal record checks - Job Offered

Criminal record checks - Job Offered

Author
JamminMan
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)Supreme Being (450 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I've been offered a job working for a large retailer within IT and I'm concerned they will want to do a DBS or criminal record check.

I was convicted and spent 6 months in prison over 10 years ago for a serious crime which is now "spent". My concern is that I will be checked and although I do not have to disclose I could loose this opportunity.

Since this role is not handling sensitive data, not working with children or vulnerable adults and not in the public sector is the only type of check this retailer request a basic disclosure and if that is the case Will my "spent" conviction not show up?

Thanks for you help.
Edited
7 Years Ago by JamminMan
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

JamminMan - 27 Apr 17 1:37 PM
Hi,

I've been offered a job working for a large retailer within IT and I'm concerned they will want to do a DBS or criminal record check.

I was convicted and spent 6 months in prison over 10 years ago for a serious crime which is now "spent". My concern is that I will be checked and although I do not have to disclose I could loose this opportunity.

Since this role is not handling sensitive data, not working with children or vulnerable adults and not in the public sector is the only type of check this retailer request a basic disclosure and if that is the case Will my "spent" conviction not show up?

Thanks for you help.

Hi,

As you say, your conviction is spent, so it won't appear on a basic criminal record check, which is what should be done for this job. If they try to do a higher level of check, you can challenge it with the DBS. Unlock has information about that on the website here. Good luck with the job!

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi JamminMan 

I agree with AB2014, this should only be a basic check but let us know what happens. 

Good luck.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO