theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Renewing Car Insurance with an unspent conviction

Renewing Car Insurance with an unspent conviction

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 17 Oct 17 8:23 AM
If you were sentenced to a fine on 8 September 2016, then your conviction became spent on 8 September 2017, so it's not an issue.
But even if it was unspent, or if it was unspent when your insurance renewed, don't worry - if you're not asked, you do NOT have to tell them. It is entirely up to them to ask. You do not have to volunteer this information.

You are right that the conviction is spent now, so there is no need to disclose it in this case. For future reference, as the form had "No" in the box already, that is an assumption that you have no unspent convictions. The information on Unlock's page here says that you need to check assumptions before you take out the policy. If you have an unspent conviction and they don't ask but the policy documents say you don't have any unspent convictions, then you need to tell them because otherwise the insurer can refuse to pay out if you make a claim.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

If you were sentenced to a fine on 8 September 2016, then your conviction became spent on 8 September 2017, so it's not an issue.
But even if it was unspent, or if it was unspent when your insurance renewed, don't worry - if you're not asked, you do NOT have to tell them. It is entirely up to them to ask. You do not have to volunteer this information.
ScottD
ScottD
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)Supreme Being (440 reputation)

For the past 6 or 7 years I've used the same insurance broker for my car insurance.  Usually they will autorenew my policy with the same provider unless I contact them to see if they can beat an alternative price.

On my proposal form there is a box labled "(c) been convicted of or cautioned for any other offence, including offence relating to theft,
fraud or dishonesty?" with "No" entered into it.

Last year at renewal I wasn't asked this question by an insurance adviser as my insurance rolled over as I didn't shop around.

If I'm not directly asked this question by my broker either over the phone or in writing, do I have to inform them that I have an unspent conviction?  Or does it class as being asked as the wording is on the proposal form which they automatically send out, even though they've assumed my answer is still no?

For the record my conviction was for Common Assault, which I recieved a fine of £600, £250 costs and £50 compensation on 8th September 2016.  This will remain unspent for 1 year.
GO