theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Are records held by local police force

Are records held by local police force

Author
doogydawg
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sorry if this is long winded.
I could not find another forums to ask my question so I thought I would ask on here, so excuse me if this does not apply here..as well as in this section.
I had a criminal record that was spent in 1991 (a fine and community service) Theft from a workplace.
Nothing since then as I had never been in any kind of trouble before.
Once was enough for me.
Ten years ago I was arrested for a single alleged offence of grooming.
This came out in the wash as being untrue as it was found to have come from someone who I worked with and had a falling out with.
I was arrested, had computers taken, and social services called to interview my wife and at the time my four year old daughters.
As I say it all came out in the wash and everything was fine with all the services.
Due to all this I developed PTSD and Bipolar.
Anyway..my question is...
Two years ago while on twitter I got into an argument with someone over something and they doxed me.
Doxing is where they can find out 'any' information about you and your family if you know how to do it including telephone numbers, address, bank details, social security number, criminal records etc etc.
We had our bank account raided the following day but we were lucky in that the bank stopped it.
While we were arguing he posted up a photo of me and made the comment of "you should have your hard drive checked"
Being arrested for 'alleged grooming but being completely innocent" would my local police force keep this record on their computer as obviously by saying "you should have your hard drive checked" he must have been referring to my arrest.
Just to add, he was using a VPN so it would have been very hard to track his IP.
Thanks for any replies.

Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

doogydawg - 19 Jan 19 11:13 AM
I could not find another forums to ask my question so I thought I would ask on here, so excuse me if this does not apply here..as well as in this section.
I had a criminal record that was spent in 1991 (a fine and community service) Theft from a workplace.
Once was enough for me.
This came out in the wash as being untrue as it was found to have come from someone who I worked with and had a falling out with.
I was arrested, had computers taken, and social services called to interview my wife and at the time my four year old daughters.
As I say it all came out in the wash and everything was fine with all the services.
Two years ago while on twitter I got into an argument with someone over something and they doxed me.
Doxing is where they can find out 'any' information about you and your family if you know how to do it including telephone numbers, address, bank details, social security number, criminal records etc etc.
We had our bank account raided the following day but we were lucky in that the bank stopped it.
While we were arguing he posted up a photo of me and made the comment of "you should have your hard drive checked"
Being arrested for 'alleged grooming but being completely innocent" would my local police force keep this record on their computer as obviously by saying "you should have your hard drive checked" he must have been referring to my arrest.
Just to add, he was using a VPN so it would have been very hard to track his IP.
Thanks for any replies.

As far as i know all your dealings with the police are held on the PNC (Police National Computer) which all forces have access to. Whether you are found guilty or not and whether a conviction is spent or not. It's not the kind of thing the public would have access to. It would only be used by Police, ie: if they do a stop and search or you get that inevitable question 'have you ever had any dealings with the police before' there would be no point in lying  even if you think your past conviction and past accusation is irrelevant it will pop up on their computer when you give them your name and address.

I can't imagine the person who doxed you got that information from  controlled source (like the PNC) was your accusation published in ANY news article at the time? another thing to consider is that all court records and proceedings are publicly available, if you search hard enough, so even if you were never collared by the press, the information most likely is accessible from your local court (if it went to court) another possibility is that if this person had access to your friends list on facebook or other social networks they could just as easy 'befriend' one of your contacts who may have known you for a very long time and got the information that way, although i would imagine that being extremely time consuming and none but the most determined hacker would be bothered to do that and plus they would have to have some sort of indicator to make it even seem like worthwhile pursuit.

doogydawg
doogydawg
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)Supreme Being (558 reputation)

Thorswrath - 19 Jan 19 8:24 PM
Once was enough for me.
Thanks for any replies.

As far as i know all your dealings with the police are held on the PNC (Police National Computer) which all forces have access to. Whether you are found guilty or not and whether a conviction is spent or not. It's not the kind of thing the public would have access to. It would only be used by Police, ie: if they do a stop and search or you get that inevitable question 'have you ever had any dealings with the police before' there would be no point in lying  even if you think your past conviction and past accusation is irrelevant it will pop up on their computer when you give them your name and address.

I can't imagine the person who doxed you got that information from  controlled source (like the PNC) was your accusation published in ANY news article at the time? another thing to consider is that all court records and proceedings are publicly available, if you search hard enough, so even if you were never collared by the press, the information most likely is accessible from your local court (if it went to court) another possibility is that if this person had access to your friends list on facebook or other social networks they could just as easy 'befriend' one of your contacts who may have known you for a very long time and got the information that way, although i would imagine that being extremely time consuming and none but the most determined hacker would be bothered to do that and plus they would have to have some sort of indicator to make it even seem like worthwhile pursuit.

Hi thanks for the reply.
Not even my next door neighbours knew/know about it and there's only four of us in our cup de sac.
Thanks for your reply.
He must have just been trying it on to see if it got a reaction.
Puts my mind at rest.
Thanks again

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

The police keep every interaction with you on record, but much of this is inaccessible to the general public. They keep information even if you were never charged, or were acquitted, or otherwise totally exonerated at any stage. The police are not very good at admitting they were wrong, so they won't delete anything because they always assume/believe you are guilty and just can't prove it. Presumption of innocence in this country is a myth.

For this same reason, if you ever have to do an enhanced DBS check, there is a section where the Chief Constable can add any information "that they deem relevant". In real terms, this means ALL information that they have ever had on you, including rumour, gossip, false accusations, etc. Even stuff that you were never even aware of.
Edited
5 Years Ago by BenS
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

doogydawg - 21 Jan 19 11:40 AM
Thorswrath - 19 Jan 19 8:24 PM
Once was enough for me.
Thanks for any replies.

Hi thanks for the reply.
Not even my next door neighbours knew/know about it and there's only four of us in our cup de sac.
Thanks for your reply.
He must have just been trying it on to see if it got a reaction.
Puts my mind at rest.
Thanks again

If you really want to put your mind at rest, you can send a subject access request to your local police force and they will provide all information they hold on you on either the PNC or their local databases
GO