theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

mexico & dominican republic advice needed please

mexico & dominican republic advice needed please

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
RMUK - 11 Jun 19 12:04 PM
BenS, thanks for the information. Starting to feel a bit more relaxed now.

Although things could have changed since 2015, I think there would be definitely stories on here or other places about UK citizens being refused in Mexico or DR. There are plenty of posts from Americans who have been rejected, but then again they have that intrusive Megan's Law thing, and also when you read these posts there is no context to the person's conviction so you never know whether they were convicted of something really serious or not.

I think common sense should prevail. Fingers crossed!

I hate to rain on your parade, but common sense is not always used in these cases. Angry It will come down to what the police decide, so let's hope they do a proper risk assessment, which is all any of us can really ask.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

RMUK
RMUK
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)Supreme Being (3.3K reputation)

Well here I am at the pool in Dominican sipping my cocktail. I was a nervous wreck all the way there on the plane and at the customs (quite intimidating now, they have lots of glass booths and they were scanning everyone's passport and taking everyone's fingerprints) but when the lady scanned my passport she didn't even bat an eyelid and stamped it no problem so I suspect there was absolutely no notice sent out by UK NCB.

Now I can relax and enjoy my holiday! 

Just to note though that I asked my PPU officer about the notification he submitted for this trip and he actually confirmed to me in writing by email that he submitted me as a LOW risk with "no specific intelligence) so obviously if you are a medium or high risk then the dominican republic could still be dodgy. 

Hope this helps anyone planning to go there! 
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

RMUK - 26 Aug 19 10:12 PM
Well here I am at the pool in Dominican sipping my cocktail. I was a nervous wreck all the way there on the plane and at the customs (quite intimidating now, they have lots of glass booths and they were scanning everyone's passport and taking everyone's fingerprints) but when the lady scanned my passport she didn't even bat an eyelid and stamped it no problem so I suspect there was absolutely no notice sent out by UK NCB.

Now I can relax and enjoy my holiday! 

Just to note though that I asked my PPU officer about the notification he submitted for this trip and he actually confirmed to me in writing by email that he submitted me as a LOW risk with "no specific intelligence) so obviously if you are a medium or high risk then the dominican republic could still be dodgy. 

Hope this helps anyone planning to go there! 

Thanks for the really helpful update, and have a fantastic holiday!
GO