theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

PVG Disclosure Scotland

PVG Disclosure Scotland

Author
Sicknote
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi All,

In 2006 I was sent to prison for 2 years for cannabis cultivation.

Recently I have started doing voluntary work for a charity which I am really enjoying and things are going well. Last week my support worker asked me to apply for a paid part time job for another charity that is subject to a PVG Disclosure Scotland check. The work would involve working with vulnerable adults in a hospital.

I don’t understand the barring process around the PVG check. Am I automatically barred from ever working with vulnerable adults in Scotland because of my criminal record?

Regards

SN
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Sicknote - 25 Nov 19 5:09 PM
Hi All,

In 2006 I was sent to prison for 2 years for cannabis cultivation.

Recently I have started doing voluntary work for a charity which I am really enjoying and things are going well. Last week my support worker asked me to apply for a paid part time job for another charity that is subject to a PVG Disclosure Scotland check. The work would involve working with vulnerable adults in a hospital.

I don’t understand the barring process around the PVG check. Am I automatically barred from ever working with vulnerable adults in Scotland because of my criminal record?

Regards

SN

First of all, you're not barred. Only certain offences result in being barred, and they're all safeguarding offences. However, that doesn't stop employers discriminating against people with convictions to disclose. To counter this, in Scotland you have the right to appeal to the Sheriff's Court to have the conviction removed from your PVG. You can find details here. Your conviction should be spent by now, and it doesn't appear to be on the list of offences that must be disclosed, so that's encouraging.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Sicknote
Sicknote
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)Supreme Being (548 reputation)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My conviction is not on the list that must be disclosed but appears in the disclose according to rules list. In your link it says you have to wait 15 years if you are on the must be disclosed list but doesn’t mention how long you need to wait to have it removed from the disclose according to rules list.

Can I apply to have it removed now as my conviction is spent?

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Sicknote - 26 Nov 19 2:21 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply.My conviction is not on the list that must be disclosed but appears in the disclose according to rules list. In your link it says you have to wait 15 years if you are on the must be disclosed list but doesn’t mention how long you need to wait to have it removed from the disclose according to rules list. Can I apply to have it removed now as my conviction is spent?

You could always contact the court and ask the staff there. It's in their interests to make things as straightforward for you as they can.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO