theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Eurostar / French border control

Eurostar / French border control

Author
Eurostar
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)Supreme Being (196 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am on the SOR, no other restrictions, havent travelled abroad in quite sometime and having read on here i am a little worried about using the passport control @ St pancras
I know something will be flagged up and i am travelling with someone but i can easily get in another queue so anything wont be seen, i believe they have automatic gates but i assume they wont work for me?
My real concern is getting turned away !and not being able to go as feels a bit different to having flown and still effectively in this country
has anyone had issues like this, i can cope with the discreet questions ,its just being able to get through
any recent experiences please?
JGUK68
JGUK68
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)Supreme Being (2.5K reputation)

Eurostar - 29 Jun 20 8:24 AM
I am on the SOR, no other restrictions, havent travelled abroad in quite sometime and having read on here i am a little worried about using the passport control @ St pancras
I know something will be flagged up and i am travelling with someone but i can easily get in another queue so anything wont be seen, i believe they have automatic gates but i assume they wont work for me?
My real concern is getting turned away !and not being able to go as feels a bit different to having flown and still effectively in this country
has anyone had issues like this, i can cope with the discreet questions ,its just being able to get through
any recent experiences please?

Hi Eurostar. I have been travelling to Europe quite a lot in the last few years and I have used the Eurostar at least 3 times in the last year or so. I must say that it has been the only passport control that gave me NO hassle at all on all three occasions (unlike airports). So, unless things have changed lately (my last trip was about 6 months ago, you should have no problems. (p.s. I have never used the automatic gates only the manned ones).

Enjoy your trip and let us know about your experience!
tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

I am no longer on the SOR so don't have any issues but used Eurostar extensively when I was.

I never had any questions at St Pancras on the way out. The French border control didn't seem very interested.

On the way back I did have an issue at Brussels where I was lead away with my wife into a holding room where I was asked some questions and the border guard took our passports to be photocopied. It was deeply unpleasant and would obviously be very hard to explain away but he did not reveal any details about why we were stopped. This occurred not long after the new SIS system came into play with exit checks so it could have just been them getting used to the new system.

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

In my personal opinion, I don't think it looks bad if you are stopped at the automatic gates, because they stop a lot of people due to either malfunctions or the person not using them properly. When I landed at Heathrow a few months ago, the e-gates were rejecting literally 50% of people and forcing them to see a human. So it doesn't mean anything to your surrounding passengers if you are stopped and taken to one side, as loads of people have to do the same.

On the other hand, if you are in a queue to see a human passport officer and are stopped for 5 minutes being asked lots of questions, that looks dodgy. Whereas with the e-gates it can easily be explained away through technological problems, or no one suspects anything because so many people get stopped.
J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

I worked on a home office IT Contract. I remember UKBA being given details for passport holders name, address, passport number, date of birth. 

I've heard of the green notice system, but how this will work post BREXIT is beyond me. i know some of the information flows through concord and maple house in Wythenshawe.

Anyways my passport fails to work at automatic gates and i'm asked basic questions like "are your partner and kids with with you?", "are you travelling alone?" Basically catch out questions (I have no partner and no kids, and I was travelling alone)  where they assume the person they're asking is stupid enough to believe that information isn't shared with other agencies......

Information is shared, the core systems are POISE (home office desktop system) and INDIGO (Immigration System / UKBA). Other databases and websites sit on top and information can be shared up to OFFICIAL / RESTRICTED systems on GSI and CONFIDENTIAL on XGSI
tedstriker
tedstriker
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

iowian - 5 Dec 22 6:56 PM
tedstriker - 29 Jun 20 10:22 AM
I am no longer on the SOR so don't have any issues but used Eurostar extensively when I was.

I never had any questions at St Pancras on the way out. The French border control didn't seem very interested.

On the way back I did have an issue at Brussels where I was lead away with my wife into a holding room where I was asked some questions and the border guard took our passports to be photocopied. It was deeply unpleasant and would obviously be very hard to explain away but he did not reveal any details about why we were stopped. This occurred not long after the new SIS system came into play with exit checks so it could have just been them getting used to the new system.

Hi tedstriker
I've just added a post and subsequently came across you submission. Can you update on any other post SO travel complications? Hopefully none to add!!

None at all Smile
LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)Supreme Being (1.1K reputation)

tedstriker - 29 Jun 20 10:22 AM

It must be such a relief to travel without notification. I'm building up my severely dented confidence. Have you ventured beyond Europe?
GO