theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Google De listing

Google De listing

Author
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
jcdmcr - 11 Jul 20 10:46 AM
khafka - 11 Jul 20 10:42 AM
jcdmcr - 11 Jul 20 9:58 AM
khafka - 10 Jul 20 4:16 PM
jcdmcr - 10 Jul 20 4:03 PM
khafka - 10 Jul 20 2:53 PM
Hey folks.

Submitted a complaint about the UK Database to ICO detailing their GDPR rule breaking among other things and I finally have a response. It is basically a nothing response as anticipated. The wording is slightly concerning though... Looks like they might be sending my contact details to them to try and resolve this issue..?

Email response: https://i.imgur.com/NT1CSQo.png

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

Thank you for submitting a complaint about the way The UK Database has processed your personal information.

The ICO’s role
Part of our role is to consider complaints from individuals who believe there has been an infringement of the data protection law.
Your complaint
We have considered the issues that you have raised with us and have written to The UK Database to explain that we expect their organisation to work with you to resolve any outstanding matters.
Next steps
One of the ICO’s strategic goals is to increase the public’s trust and confidence in how personal data is used and made available.
In this case, we expect the organisation to explain to you how they have complied with their obligations under the law as comprehensively as possible, including correcting any issues that they have identified or clarifying any areas of misunderstanding.
However, we are aware that the coronavirus pandemic is putting unprecedented pressure on many organisations. Some organisations have told us that they have had to reduce or suspend elements of their information rights practice due to the need to prioritise resources.
During these unprecedented times we must balance upholding important individual rights and protections granted to people by law, alongside recognising the challenges that many organisations, such as those providing a frontline service, face. As a proportionate regulator we will act in a manner which takes account of these circumstances, including how we approach our work
Although we expect the organisation to review your data protection concern as quickly as possible, we would note that it is possible that this may take them longer than usual because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer
Information Commissioner’s Office

I've sent a reply expressing my concern for the wording and stating how I don't want the UK Database to get any of my contact information or know that the complaint has come from me (for obvious reasons).

Also what rule do you think they've broken - this is a summary:

• Lawfulness, fairness and transparency
  • Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Integrity and confidentiality (security)
  • Accountability
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/principles/
  • No available GDPR information on the website to show how they process information
  • No cookie/tracking notification (applicable with the above)
  • No recognised data controller who is responsible for ensuring their compliance with GDPR
  • The factually incorrect information they posted about myself - Despite the correct information being listed on the website they linked to
  • No response to my subject access request despite waiting 3 months and following up with an email after each month (supposed to be about a month)
  • Creating an open publicly accessible criminal database which is illegal in the UK
There was a bit more but that should be more than enough.

They'd argue that the information they're processing is in the public domain anyway. As for the cookies thing etc yeah you might have a point...W/R to the factually incorrect information, have they taken that information from a factually incorrect story in the first place?

Their site is hosted on wordpress, you could try approaching them with a complaint. 

They posted the link and then made a bunch of stuff and assumptions up based on that.

Well it all back fired. I'm back trending on the vigilante Facebook as a result. Needless to say they weren't interested in address my complaint.

So where do we go from here?

Hey folks.

Submitted a complaint about the UK Database to ICO detailing their GDPR rule breaking among other things and I finally have a response. It is basically a nothing response as anticipated. The wording is slightly concerning though... Looks like they might be sending my contact details to them to try and resolve this issue..?

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

Thank you for submitting a complaint about the way The UK Database has processed your personal information.

The ICO’s role
Part of our role is to consider complaints from individuals who believe there has been an infringement of the data protection law.
Your complaint
We have considered the issues that you have raised with us and have written to The UK Database to explain that we expect their organisation to work with you to resolve any outstanding matters.
Next steps
One of the ICO’s strategic goals is to increase the public’s trust and confidence in how personal data is used and made available.
In this case, we expect the organisation to explain to you how they have complied with their obligations under the law as comprehensively as possible, including correcting any issues that they have identified or clarifying any areas of misunderstanding.
However, we are aware that the coronavirus pandemic is putting unprecedented pressure on many organisations. Some organisations have told us that they have had to reduce or suspend elements of their information rights practice due to the need to prioritise resources.
During these unprecedented times we must balance upholding important individual rights and protections granted to people by law, alongside recognising the challenges that many organisations, such as those providing a frontline service, face. As a proportionate regulator we will act in a manner which takes account of these circumstances, including how we approach our work
Although we expect the organisation to review your data protection concern as quickly as possible, we would note that it is possible that this may take them longer than usual because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

I've sent a reply expressing my concern for the wording and stating how I don't want the UK Database to get any of my contact information or know that the complaint has come from me (for obvious reasons).

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/principles/
  • No available GDPR information on the website to show how they process information
  • No recognised data controller who is responsible for ensuring their compliance with GDPR
  • The factually incorrect information they posted about myself - Despite the correct information being listed on the website they linked to
  • No response to my subject access request despite waiting 3 months and following up with an email after each month (supposed to be about a month)
  • Creating an open publicly accessible criminal database which is illegal in the UK

They'd argue that the information they're processing is in the public domain anyway. As for the cookies thing etc yeah you might have a point...W/R to the factually incorrect information, have they taken that information from a factually incorrect story in the first place?

Their site is hosted on wordpress, you could try approaching them with a complaint. 

They posted the link and then made a bunch of stuff and assumptions up based on that.

Well it all back fired. I'm back trending on the vigilante Facebook as a result. Needless to say they weren't interested in address my complaint.

You could try reporting it as a crime through your offender manager?

I'm in two minds. The wording is technically gaining towards targeted harassment and asking folk to "make me famous".

On one hand I feel I should report them (both, UK Database and my local vigilante group) but I don't feel anything will really happen and will likely end up in an even bigger mess.

On the other hand I'm tempted to just keep my head down and get on with life again. I've been out of he media since February and this has now brought all my anxiety and stress back. I thought I was doing the right thing by going through the right channels and complaining to ICO for them to basically cause this absolute shitshow.

J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

khafka - 11 Jul 20 10:53 AM
Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

I'm in two minds. The wording is technically gaining towards targeted harassment and asking folk to "make me famous".

On one hand I feel I should report them (both, UK Database and my local vigilante group) but I don't feel anything will really happen and will likely end up in an even bigger mess.

On the other hand I'm tempted to just keep my head down and get on with life again. I've been out of he media since February and this has now brought all my anxiety and stress back. I thought I was doing the right thing by going through the right channels and complaining to ICO for them to basically cause this absolute shitshow.

I think your last paragraph makes more sense - move area, also look at changing your appearance once you get there
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

jcdmcr - 11 Jul 20 10:55 AM
Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

I think your last paragraph makes more sense - move area, also look at changing your appearance once you get there

Moving is not an option. I can barely afford to live where I do now. The picture they have is about 4 years old and I look vastly different now. The Facebook page has seemingly moved on for now, they've been posting about a bunch of other nonsense since the post they made last night.

Made a complaint to ICO though about their handling of it and now I kind of have proof backing up my initial concerns.

Thinking about making a call to my PPU though, just to gauge his take.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

khafka - 11 Jul 20 10:58 AM
Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Moving is not an option. I can barely afford to live where I do now. The picture they have is about 4 years old and I look vastly different now. The Facebook page has seemingly moved on for now, they've been posting about a bunch of other nonsense since the post they made last night.

Made a complaint to ICO though about their handling of it and now I kind of have proof backing up my initial concerns.

Well done for trying for what you think is right, it’s brave and you’re well within your rights to do so. Helpfully, for the rest of us, we know it’s not going to work if we try the same thing. I know that’s probably not much comfort but we appreciate it.

The thing is with these groups/publications of any sort is that they’re regurgitating what is largely factual (I say largely with caveats of granular detail). Out of the blue, I appeared in the press for a second time (the paper that Liverpool hates), I was a small paragraph in a story 15 MONTHS after my court appearance, I hadn’t done anything it just regurgitated what happened to me the previous year. There was nothing I could do because it was factual. Another thing we just have to put up with regardless of the devastating impact it has on our mental health. Cue, again, the Caroline Flack debate…

The fact is our history leaves a scar. My issue, in terms of rehabilitation and disclosure, is that we can’t OWN any of it. For example, if someone who has been in trouble with drugs there can be an air of sympathy to those who speak out and say: “I had a problem with drugs and I’ve overcome it,” that is owning it and creates the reason to support them. We can’t do that, if we say: “I did X and now I’ve stopped,” we’d get told “Well you shouldn’t have done that in the first place!… the victims… creating market… etc etc etc.” Even though, the exact same things apply to ANY crime. And, perhaps, it doesn’t come as a shock that I’m seeing more “breached his SHPO” newspaper stories appearing. Rather than screaming ‘where’s the rehabilitation?’ or 'perhaps these don't work? what else can we do?' society just says ‘good, lock him up and throw away the key’.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Mr W
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

Mr W - 11 Jul 20 3:02 PM
Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Well done for trying for what you think is right, it’s brave and you’re well within your rights to do so. Helpfully, for the rest of us, we know it’s not going to work if we try the same thing. I know that’s probably not much comfort but we appreciate it.

The thing is with these groups/publications of any sort is that they’re regurgitating what is largely factual (I say largely with caveats of granular detail). Out of the blue I appeared in the press for a second time (that paper that Liverpool hates), I was a small paragraph in a story 15 MONTHS after my court appearance, I hadn’t done anything it just regurgitated what happened to me the previous year. There was nothing I could do because it was factual. Another thing we just have to put up with regardless of the devastating impact it has on our mental health. Cue, again, the Caroline Flack debate…

The fact is our history leaves a scar. My issue, in terms of rehabilitation and disclosure, is that we can’t OWN any of it. For example, if someone who has been in trouble with drugs there can be an air of sympathy to those who speak out and say: “I had a problem with drugs and I’ve overcome it,” that is owning it and creates the reason to support them. We can’t do that, if we say: “I did X and now I’ve stopped,” we’d get told “Well you shouldn’t have done that in the first place!… the victims… crating market… etc etc etc.” Even though, the exact same things apply to ANY crime. And, perhaps, it doesn’t come as a shock that I’m seeing more “breached his SHPO” newspaper stories appearing. Rather than screaming ‘where’s the rehabilitation’ or 'perhaps these don't work? what else can we do?' society just says ‘good, lock him up’.

To be honest, it was a bit of a stupid venture and I could see the outcome from a mile away if I'm being honest so not really sure why I did it, maybe to make me feel better? I'm still going to pursue a complaint with ICO themselves in how they handled it though. EDL member and also a convicted criminal like us, Chris Wittwer, is hardly known for his poise and tact. It's interesting how people of his ilk feel they can pick and choose what crimes are "acceptable" and people can be rehabilitated from despite only knowing the bare minimum of the case.

lotsofquer
lotsofquer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)

khafka - 11 Jul 20 9:17 PM
Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

The thing is with these groups/publications of any sort is that they’re regurgitating what is largely factual (I say largely with caveats of granular detail). Out of the blue I appeared in the press for a second time (that paper that Liverpool hates), I was a small paragraph in a story 15 MONTHS after my court appearance, I hadn’t done anything it just regurgitated what happened to me the previous year. There was nothing I could do because it was factual. Another thing we just have to put up with regardless of the devastating impact it has on our mental health. Cue, again, the Caroline Flack debate…

The fact is our history leaves a scar. My issue, in terms of rehabilitation and disclosure, is that we can’t OWN any of it. For example, if someone who has been in trouble with drugs there can be an air of sympathy to those who speak out and say: “I had a problem with drugs and I’ve overcome it,” that is owning it and creates the reason to support them. We can’t do that, if we say: “I did X and now I’ve stopped,” we’d get told “Well you shouldn’t have done that in the first place!… the victims… crating market… etc etc etc.” Even though, the exact same things apply to ANY crime. And, perhaps, it doesn’t come as a shock that I’m seeing more “breached his SHPO” newspaper stories appearing. Rather than screaming ‘where’s the rehabilitation’ or 'perhaps these don't work? what else can we do?' society just says ‘good, lock him up’.

To be honest, it was a bit of a stupid venture and I could see the outcome from a mile away if I'm being honest so not really sure why I did it, maybe to make me feel better? I'm still going to pursue a complaint with ICO themselves in how they handled it though. EDL member and also a convicted criminal like us, Chris Wittwer, is hardly known for his poise and tact. It's interesting how people of his ilk feel they can pick and choose what crimes are "acceptable" and people can be rehabilitated from despite only knowing the bare minimum of the case.

Just some information for your complaint in case you haven't seen it already.
https://ico.org.uk/global/privacy-notice/making-a-complaint/ which says
If you don’t want information that identifies you to be shared with the organisation you want to complain about, we’ll try to respect that. However, it is not always possible to handle a complaint on an anonymous basis so we’ll contact you to discuss this.

Clearly a breach of their own privacy notice!

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

lotsofquer - 11 Jul 20 10:23 PM
khafka - 11 Jul 20 9:17 PM
Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Hey folks.

Dear Mr [REDACTED]

The ICO’s role
Your complaint
Next steps

Yours sincerely
Jordan Wright
Case Officer

• Purpose limitation
  • Data minimisation
  • Accuracy
  • Storage limitation
  • Accountability

Just some information for your complaint in case you haven't seen it already.
https://ico.org.uk/global/privacy-notice/making-a-complaint/ which says
If you don’t want information that identifies you to be shared with the organisation you want to complain about, we’ll try to respect that. However, it is not always possible to handle a complaint on an anonymous basis so we’ll contact you to discuss this.

Clearly a breach of their own privacy notice!

Yeah, I sent that to them in my complaint. They're closed over the weekend so won't be able to speak to them until Monday. We'll see what they come out with.

I've given up with the UK Database thing for now. Maybe once I come off the register which going by the dates I have is in about 2 years. More reason to fight it then.

lotsofquer
lotsofquer
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)Supreme Being (9.6K reputation)

At a guess I’d say that the owner of that site will still not care at that point in time unfortunately. I think it’s a matter of either the ICO shutting them down or someone bringing a legal case that the site can’t afford to bankroll (although not sure what legal basis this would have - it would seem perhaps under the GDPR criminal register but maybe not given the way they try to present as news articles).

The first option doesn’t seem likely either given that many have complained in general terms and the site remains. It would also seem that the ICO as shown in your case have the contact details for those behind the site so they know about them (unless they’re simply submitting via the contact form). You would think that the ICO would be a bit careful with such a sensitive subject and given they’re the enforcers of data protection regulations and must know what this site is likely to react with given their past interactions with them.

There is a third and fourth possibility - the owner shuts the site down or someone hacks it. Unfortunately both extremely unlikely to in my opinion happen of course.

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being

lotsofquer - 11 Jul 20 11:12 PM
At a guess I’d say that the owner of that site will still not care at that point in time unfortunately. I think it’s a matter of either the ICO shutting them down or someone bringing a legal case that the site can’t afford to bankroll (although not sure what legal basis this would have - it would seem perhaps under the GDPR criminal register but maybe not given the way they try to present as news articles). The first option doesn’t seem likely either given that many have complained in general terms and the site remains. It would also seem that the ICO as shown in your case have the contact details for those behind the site so they know about them (unless they’re simply submitting via the contact form). You would think that the ICO would be a bit careful with such a sensitive subject and given they’re the enforcers of data protection regulations and must know what this site is likely to react with given their past interactions with them.There is a third and fourth possibility - the owner shuts the site down or someone hacks it. Unfortunately both extremely unlikely to in my opinion happen of course.

Well if they are found in breach of GDPR any company can be fined up to 4% or €20 million, whichever is highest. He'd also be forced to take the site down regardless and if he were to set another one would likely be in breach and would get a one way ticket for a wee holiday courtesy of HMP.

He wouldn't have a leg to stand on, legally speaking. Any solicitor moderately interested that doesn't care about how they would be portrayed in the media and with a modicum of sense could rip his arse apart in a court.

His website has been shut down before and with the much, much stricter GDPR rules in place now compared to previously I'd say it is just a matter of time. How long? Who knows. I reckon his own hubris will ultimately be his downfall though.

As for the hacking side. I wouldn't be so sure. It's a Wordpress site, hardly Fort Knox. I dare say you could get into it the admin using Rainbow, Cain and Abel, or John the Ripper... If someone was that way inclined...

lotsofquer
lotsofquer
Supreme Being

khafka - 11 Jul 20 11:31 PM
lotsofquer - 11 Jul 20 11:12 PM
At a guess I’d say that the owner of that site will still not care at that point in time unfortunately. I think it’s a matter of either the ICO shutting them down or someone bringing a legal case that the site can’t afford to bankroll (although not sure what legal basis this would have - it would seem perhaps under the GDPR criminal register but maybe not given the way they try to present as news articles). The first option doesn’t seem likely either given that many have complained in general terms and the site remains. It would also seem that the ICO as shown in your case have the contact details for those behind the site so they know about them (unless they’re simply submitting via the contact form). You would think that the ICO would be a bit careful with such a sensitive subject and given they’re the enforcers of data protection regulations and must know what this site is likely to react with given their past interactions with them.There is a third and fourth possibility - the owner shuts the site down or someone hacks it. Unfortunately both extremely unlikely to in my opinion happen of course.

Well if they are found in breach of GDPR any company can be fined up to 4% or €20 million, whichever is highest. He'd also be forced to take the site down regardless and if he were to set another one would likely be in breach and would get a one way ticket for a wee holiday courtesy of HMP.

He wouldn't have a leg to stand on, legally speaking. Any solicitor moderately interested that doesn't care about how they would be portrayed in the media and with a modicum of sense could rip his arse apart in a court.

His website has been shut down before and with the much, much stricter GDPR rules in place now compared to previously I'd say it is just a matter of time. How long? Who knows. I reckon his own hubris will ultimately be his downfall though.

As for the hacking side. I wouldn't be so sure. It's a Wordpress site, hardly Fort Knox. I dare say you could get into it the admin using Rainbow, Cain and Abel, or John the Ripper... If someone was that way inclined...

How did you get on with the ICO? Have they acknowledged that they stuffed up?

GO