theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Have been refused an Esta to the US because I said yes to a question, should I be honest on Canadian...

Have been refused an Esta to the US because I said yes to a question,...

Author
coco98
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)Supreme Being (2.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi there, 

I have a caution from 2013 for D&D and assaulting a police officer. It was a simple spent caution. I believe it is now filtered under the ROA here but I tried to apply for an Esta for the States online once and can't remember what the question was but they immediately refused my application and I never took it any further. If I now want to travel to Canada should/could I a) just answer no on their online form and hope that they don't share info with the states? My worry is that although I didn't take it further there is now a permanent mark against my name on their system or should I be honest and again risk a ban? 

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

coco98 - 22 Sep 20 11:34 AM
Hi there, 

I have a caution from 2013 for D&D and assaulting a police officer. It was a simple spent caution. I believe it is now filtered under the ROA here but I tried to apply for an Esta for the States online once and can't remember what the question was but they immediately refused my application and I never took it any further. If I now want to travel to Canada should/could I a) just answer no on their online form and hope that they don't share info with the states? My worry is that although I didn't take it further there is now a permanent mark against my name on their system or should I be honest and again risk a ban? 

The USA changed the ESTA questions from Moral Turpitude to more specific ones including a question about convictions for assault. Basically, if you have to answer "yes" to any of them, you will need to apply for a visa.

Canada is currently not allowing foreign nationals in, but normally you need an eTA. I'm not sure how they frame the questions, but they do seem to have some leeway for rehabilitation which the US doesn't. I don't believe that they share that level of data, so as long as you answer any Canadian questions honestly, a failed ESTA should carry no weight. 
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

If you never plan to go to Canada to live, work or study in the future then just tick no when you look to complete the eta for Canada, the Canada authority’s do not have access to the UK PNC so will no be able to see this information.

if in the future you plan to live, work or study over there, then do not lie on the eta as this will be picked up in the future when you apply for either a work/ study visa etc when you have to supply a police certificate during the application process
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Simon1983 - 22 Sep 20 6:30 PM
If you never plan to go to Canada to live, work or study in the future then just tick no when you look to complete the eta for Canada, the Canada authority’s do not have access to the UK PNC so will no be able to see this information.

if in the future you plan to live, work or study over there, then do not lie on the eta as this will be picked up in the future when you apply for either a work/ study visa etc when you have to supply a police certificate during the application process

You are correct about raw access to the PNC and if you haven't applied before it probably won't be picked up. However, the one thing I'd caution with is that within hours of my conviction, I was sent an email by the US telling me that my open ESTA had been revoked, This seems outside any normal protocol, so there is clearly some behind the scenes communications going on.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Canada generally follows the Rehabilitation of Offenders act for UK citizens, so if that was your only offence you could apply for 'Individual Rehabilitation' as 5 years has elapsed since the offence.  It will be automatically Deemed Rehabilitated after 10 years
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

Yankee - 30 Sep 20 6:02 PM
Canada generally follows the Rehabilitation of Offenders act for UK citizens, so if that was your only offence you could apply for 'Individual Rehabilitation' as 5 years has elapsed since the offence.  It will be automatically Deemed Rehabilitated after 10 years

You should also bear in mind that D&D and assaulting a police officer are separate offences, so they should be treated as two cautions rather than one. Even so, this was not considered serious enough for you to be charged, and most countries ask about arrests, then talk about convictions. I'd be surprised if they refused you entry, as you should be able to show that you are rehabilitated as you have nothing else on your record.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

GO