theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Online work - Background Check?

Online work - Background Check?

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi folks.
So I always get worried concerning Background Checks.
I have a S.O for images. Nothing about me on Google search.
I managed to get some Voice over work freelancing.
It's inconsistent but good work.
I watched a guy on YouTube from a similar skillset as myself get paid well from submitting voice overs to some big companies on Twitter and Instagram.

He submitted all the work from his own home - Record the voice and post online and they did the rest 

I like the idea, but should I be concerned/subject to a Background check for this kind of thing? Maybe just do small companies?
Or not worth the risk?

Thanks

khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Hey James,

I can't see it being a major issue, to be honest. I'd be surprised if someone hired you to do a bit of freelance work and ran a background check on you.

For what it's worth, I've done a small bit of music-based freelance work via Fiverr, I'm also convicted of an images offence and my name is in Google results for my offence. You could also look at PeoplePerHour although I've never used them personally so your mileage may vary.

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the larger companies would - Nike, McDonalds etc. Cheers for the info
GO