theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Change name for employment prospects

Change name for employment prospects

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I’m having more luck with job hunting and with roles where they haven’t asked for a declaration and offering me an interview and the role does not require a DBS.

I’m thinking more a name change by deed poll would help because it would stop been looked up on google.

The drawbacks are though:

A) on forms nowhere they ask for previous names I would have to tell them anyway? Then they could look up previous name.
B) right to work - my birth certificate obviously can’t be changed, although I could get a passport in new name?
C) jobs that require to see certificates like my GCSEs and A-Levels, all in previous name, so again what stops them looking up old name anyway?

Thoughts?
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

PS..it’s a sexual offence I have btw. I am right in saying I can do this but would need to report the change?
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

I’ve put a lot of thought into tackling this same issue myself. The best thing I’ve come up with is this:

John Matthew Smith
1. Change surname, nobody really thinks twice about surname changes.
John Matthew Jones.

Or, if that’s not enough.
2. I’m going for flipping forenames AND changing the surname.
Matthew John Jones.
Then you can say you “used to go by your middle name”. You can still be known by John to some people. Any certificates ‘made a mistake' with the order of the name.

This isn’t a 100% water-tight method, but as I say, it’s the best I can think of. I'm all ears for any other ideas as I'm struggling too.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Mr W
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

There are many jobs out there that only ask for your current name and dont tend to ask to see qualification certificates for example call centre work so that would be okay but would cause me issues for jobs that might ask for previous names or to see proof of qualifications. 

I am right in thinking that as I am on the register I can change my name but would just need to report this?
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

True, I was just laying out the idea I've spent most of thinking about as I need to avoid being Googled.
Yes, within three days of changing it you must notify. Although it's such a drawn-out process it'd be best to double-check and ask when those three days start.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Following on from this I’ve spoken to a few people about doing this. Anyone had experiences of what I mentioned about certificates been in previous name?
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi
I 're-organised ' my names and the major difficulty is getting those 'who knew you' to remember to call you by the 'new' name when in the company of 'others or new friends'
I have never pre and post offence been asked for old certificates, mind you the NHS system caused issues. Whilst on licence and now PPU I was asked why I picked the new names.
Its an interesting journey but I placed a 'valid and understandable' reason behind the name change and people accept it.

To me it is worth it but would suggest you think about my previous sentence.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Edited
3 Years Ago by JASB
GO