theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Can't provide past addresses for ACRO records

Can't provide past addresses for ACRO records

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenFeb - 16 Feb 22 7:12 PM
AB2014 - 16 Feb 22 11:41 AM
BenFeb - 15 Feb 22 5:02 PM
Dear all,

For a few years of the past 10 years I had no fixed abode and was wandering between countries.

I have two questions really:
1. How can I get an ACRO police certificate given that there was a time in the past 10 years where I did not have any fixed address and could not provide the addresses, let alone proof of it, if I wanted to?
2. If I decide that dealing with the British police will be too traumatic, and will not deal any further with them, realistically what countries could I go to, to start a new life, without my past haunting me?

Thank you in advance.

I've just had a look through the information on their website, and it says "It will help us if you provide your address history for the last 10 years". I take that to mean that it is good if you have that information, but it doesn't make it impossible if you don't. It might take them a little bit longer to be sure they've got the right record, but I'm sure they have other options to make sure of your identity. If you're still unsure, you can always email or phone them to ask for their advice.

I remember reading somewhere it was a hard requirement with no flexibility, because UK plod needed to check with local forces where you stayed whether you committed other offences. Because some countries do not have a centralised police database.

That may well be right, but it's usually the case that if a UK national gets a conviction abroad, it is automatically communicated to the UK police via ACRO, even if it is not then added to their record in that foreign country. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to have a central database first, as it could just as easily be done through a government ministry.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

dedalus
dedalus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)

BenFeb - 16 Feb 22 7:12 PM
Dear all,

For a few years of the past 10 years I had no fixed abode and was wandering between countries.

1. How can I get an ACRO police certificate given that there was a time in the past 10 years where I did not have any fixed address and could not provide the addresses, let alone proof of it, if I wanted to?
2. If I decide that dealing with the British police will be too traumatic, and will not deal any further with them, realistically what countries could I go to, to start a new life, without my past haunting me?

Thank you in advance.

I've just had a look through the information on their website, and it says "It will help us if you provide your address history for the last 10 years". I take that to mean that it is good if you have that information, but it doesn't make it impossible if you don't. It might take them a little bit longer to be sure they've got the right record, but I'm sure they have other options to make sure of your identity. If you're still unsure, you can always email or phone them to ask for their advice.

I remember reading somewhere it was a hard requirement with no flexibility, because UK plod needed to check with local forces where you stayed whether you committed other offences. Because some countries do not have a centralised police database.

I am a little surprised at this. I would have thought until one exhausted appeal avenues then the offence would be recorded. One could be aquitted after an appeal. I guess it would just be a matter of updating the record for a second time if that was the case.

BenFeb
BenFeb
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)

Dear all,

Thank you in advance.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

dedalus - 16 Feb 22 3:07 PM
I have another question, does anyone know how long it takes for a criminal record to be updated following a conviction?
I am ware most public sector bodies are months behind.
I would like to know how my offence has been logged on the system but I don't want to apply for a certificate if the data isn't there yet.

I was convicted two months ago.

It should be updated within 24 hours at most. If you get a caution, then as soon as it is entered into the PNC at the police station, it should be there. Convictions/acquittals are entered by the court staff at some point, perhaps at the end of the day, or maybe throughout the day. I'd expect that information to be uploaded at least daily, and once it's there, it's on your record. I would not expect it to take two months, and the subject access request will take the best part of a month, so I would be amazed if it wasn't there by now. Public sector bodies may be months behind, but not this one!

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

dedalus
dedalus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)Supreme Being (7.7K reputation)

I have another question, does anyone know how long it takes for a criminal record to be updated following a conviction?
I am ware most public sector bodies are months behind.
I would like to know how my offence has been logged on the system but I don't want to apply for a certificate if the data isn't there yet.

I was convicted two months ago.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Dear all,

Thank you in advance.

BenFeb
BenFeb
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)Supreme Being (776 reputation)

Dear all,

Thank you in advance.

Edited
2 Years Ago by BenFeb
GO