theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

How people with S.O. after their names are excluded

How people with S.O. after their names are excluded

Author
Airlane
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I've been out of work for many years and have been allocated a Restart Programme advisor. Today, she showed me the website of a local employment organisation started for and by ex-offenders (as with Unlock), sent them my details and they immediately told her they won't help those with the initials S.O. after their names. If even such an organisation refuses to include every former offender, which is of course entirely lawful, then what are we supposed to do?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Airlane - 17 Mar 22 1:59 PM
I've been out of work for many years and have been allocated a Restart Programme advisor. Today, she showed me the website of a local employment organisation started for and by ex-offenders (as with Unlock), sent them my details and they immediately told her they won't help those with the initials S.O. after their names. If even such an organisation refuses to include every former offender, which is of course entirely lawful, then what are we supposed to do?

There was an organisation a few years ago that was set up for this sort of thing, but I heard that they told a probation officer that they weren't in a position to help SO's. I asked my probation officer and she said she asked her colleagues and although they had heard of the organisation, they didn't know anything about that. I think it comes down to the old chestnut about "ex-offenders deserve a second chance, and we're happy to help them, but not those ones over there." When that sort of prejudice and discrimination is entirely legal, there's not much anyone can do about it, as I don't imagine there would be enough public sympathy to change anything.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Airlane - 17 Mar 22 1:59 PM

Hi
I have been unemployed for over 10 years now so understand you as many others will also. AB2014 is knowledgeable in his choice of words.

I can only add remain a believer in yourself and  you will always maintain your self respect and hope.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO