theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Changing mortgage & disclosure

Changing mortgage & disclosure

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)Supreme Being (52K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Moss - this is an issue we have come across before and is something we cover in the guidance on the website, because if you disclose to a third-party, such as a broker or conveyancer, it is possible that they will disclose even if you wouldn't ordinarily have to. It is certainly something to watch out of in the future.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Moss
Moss
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)

Hi,

In answer to a query on my posting.  My conviction will never be spent.  I am learning to get through life with this fact.  I hope my experience of re-mortgaging will be of some benefit to other members.

Moss

Moss
Moss
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)Supreme Being (856 reputation)

Hi,

Just wanted to update members of what happened to me when I needed to change my mortgage.  Initially I looked at Unlock website and looked at which mortgage lenders asked about criminal convictions and which didn't.  I did a bit of research and Abbey-Santander which previously didn't ask about conviction now had on website that they won't lend if you have a conviction.  Then I contacted Lloyds who didn't raise the issue so I didn't disclose since I wasn't asked.  Then when I contacted a conveyancing solicitor and disclosed my conviction she said that now that I had told her she would have to write to the mortgage lender and disclose my conviction because it was as far as she was concerned a "material fact".  If I hadn't disclosed the information then she would not feel obliged to tell the lender.  I didn't sign any agreement papers with that solicitor and I changed conveyancing solicitor.  This time I decided not disclose unless I was asked.  The new solicitor didn't ask, so I didn't need to disclose. My mortgage went through.  Incidently the first solicitor didn't ask me to disclose, I just did because I stupidly thought I had to disclose all to my solicitor.  It was very stressful since I was under pressure to re-mortgage for various personal reasons and despite the fact that I've got a job and rebuilding my life, it's disappointing that some lenders and some solicitors won't give you a chance but if you look hard enough you'll find someone who will.

Moss

Tough
Tough
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)Supreme Being (1.7K reputation)

Is your conviction spent as you usually dont have to disclose spent offences.
GO