theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

SHOPLIFTING/COMMUNITY RESOLUTION ORDERS/DBS UNITS AND DISCLOSURE

SHOPLIFTING/COMMUNITY RESOLUTION ORDERS/DBS UNITS AND DISCLOSURE

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Joy2730

Thanks for this information which is really useful.

We have recently been updating the section on our Information Hub around 'Police Intelligence' and figures we received following a Freedom of Information request seem to support the view that since the Statutory Disclosure Guidance, and the Quality Assurance Framework were introduced, then there are less instances of 'additional information' being disclosed.

Kind regards

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Thanks so dbs run a relevancy test to see if the job role is allowed a dbs check ?

While it sounds positive lets not forgot dbs allow checks to run by Morrison's supermarket for people stacking baked beans and 100+ per month for RSPCA despite not even hiring 100.

Perhaps it was just a bad day in the dbs office or a monday ? Perhaps no difference and they really are law abiding and the good guys!
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

Nicely put ! that would imply common sense and following a real law by DBS which sadly does not exist.

Just like anything in life money exchanged and the check is approved with no thought on actually checking the employer is legally or correct to ask or run a dbs check.
Agree its an invasion into privacy and violates the right to work and provide law if that law remotely existed!

But its good information non the less at least dbs are able to check if X allows X to work, its a list I have been keen on finding out since it would allow unlock or people to know where they stand and what companies they can even apply to rather then wasting time worrying and applying for X job role when all a long it was never possible guess common sense will keep on ticking for now.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

I doubt DBS will bother training or educating employers not when they are making so much money from it.

Employers love it since it allows them to get a full past profile and any dirt on anyone which just like in any situation can be used against that person if and when required.

It requires a full re-branding and overhaul so just like crb to dbs we need a new brand name followed by strict guide lines or law being followed by both parties and relevancy and eligibility should be 100% required ie working in supermarket = no checks, since pushing trolleys and putting tins on shelves is not harming anyone this would stop dbs/government from abusing and profiting from such a system.
RemorseA
RemorseA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

joy2730 said...
about a year ago, for many different reasons, I walked out of Boots with slimming pills and a department store with a makeup tester and was stopped in the streets seconds later by the managers of both stores. Together they called the police and I received 2 Community Resolution Orders (CROs) which is really bad news for me as I need an Enhanced DBS certificate for my job.

I now have to fill out a renewal DBS. I have contacted my local DBS Unit Manager as I am worried it may be disclosed as 'additional information disclosed at the discretion of the chief police constable'. However I have been reassured that this type of offence is not relevant to my role as Support Worker/Carer and will fail the relevancy test and will also fail the proportionality test, (which I think may be the same as the 'ought to' test), and therefore nothing will appear on my DBS certificate. The Manager said the DBS system is not meant to be punitive in nature and that even with serious offences the Unit can work with the individual to put a 'positive spin' on an offence to make employment less difficult.

I thought you might want to know of this, and to encourage others to contact their local police forces and DBS units for assistance.

Hi Joy2730-What was written in the additional information section of th new DBS please? None recorded or not relevant?
RemorseA
RemorseA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

Anyone with community resolution orders needing enhanced checks?
RemorseA
RemorseA
Supreme Being

Deb S said...
Hi Joy2730

We have recently been updating the section on our Information Hub around 'Police Intelligence' and figures we received following a Freedom of Information request seem to support the view that since the Statutory Disclosure Guidance, and the Quality Assurance Framework were introduced, then there are less instances of 'additional information' being disclosed.

Kind regards

Unlock Helpline

Any more success stories on the forum regarding nonconviction information?
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Unlock Helpline said...
Hi Joy2730

Kind regards

Unlock Helpline

Personally I think this should apply to any DBS check not just the additional information there should be more relevancy to the checks and the jobs.
joy2730
joy2730
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

I agree with AJW83. When I was speaking to the DBS unit manager she also told me that employer's do too many DBS/CRB checks because they panic a lot (this is my second check, along with the rest of the work force in 14 mths) and that employer's do not understand the system and panic and think everything will be covered if they do another check.

She said they are trying to educate employer's more but feel they are failing.

Eg following this new DBS my employer has told me I HAVE TO JOIN THE UPDATE SERVICE. However the DBS unit manager has said it is not mandatory to join the update system, so what is going on?
joy2730
joy2730
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

about a year ago, for many different reasons, I walked out of Boots with slimming pills and a department store with a makeup tester and was stopped in the streets seconds later by the managers of both stores. Together they called the police and I received 2 Community Resolution Orders (CROs) which is really bad news for me as I need an Enhanced DBS certificate for my job.

I now have to fill out a renewal DBS. I have contacted my local DBS Unit Manager as I am worried it may be disclosed as 'additional information disclosed at the discretion of the chief police constable'. However I have been reassured that this type of offence is not relevant to my role as Support Worker/Carer and will fail the relevancy test and will also fail the proportionality test, (which I think may be the same as the 'ought to' test), and therefore nothing will appear on my DBS certificate. The Manager said the DBS system is not meant to be punitive in nature and that even with serious offences the Unit can work with the individual to put a 'positive spin' on an offence to make employment less difficult.

I thought you might want to know of this, and to encourage others to contact their local police forces and DBS units for assistance.
GO