theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Name Change

Name Change

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Stitched

I have attached a link to the Information Hub page on 'Changing Your Name' - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/changing-name/.

If you follow the official route when changing your name, then you will be able to apply for a new passport which will make no reference to your previous name or criminal convictions.

If you have travelled to the US in the past using a Visa issued via the US Embassy, then it may flag up that you have travelled previously under another name. However, it is not illegal to change your name and you would be given the chance to explain your reasons at the interview.

If you require any further information, please give the Unlock Helpline a call.

Best wishes

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
stiched
stiched
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)Supreme Being (3.8K reputation)

I am thinking about changing my name after my licence is finished. Not to commit any form of fraud or criminality. Just for a fresh start.

Can anyone tell me -

have they had any delays or problems coming back into the country - i.e passport control stopping to ask about previous convictions and why name changed.

and if I have travelled to the USA under my previous name. Will it flag up when they take the standard fingerprints that I have travelled there under a different name and cause any delays or any questions?

If the name change causes too much difficulties then I may not do it.

thanks in advance
oliviathomas
oliviathomas
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

If your name has changed
You’ll need to provide evidence if your name has changed since your identity document was issued.

The details you give must show a clear link between the name on your identity document and your current name.
GO