theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

China visa

China visa

Author
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
the china visa application has a q 'have you ever been convicted of a crime in china or any other country'. what to do????
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Christopher Stacey said...
China are not required to follow the ROA, and therefore you will need to answer the question by disclosing all convictions.

It may be that China has some kind of rehabilitation law which sifts old convictions, however I cannot seem to find much about this. I would suggest you contact the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre on T: 0207 842 0960 or at www.visaforchina.org.uk
as per comments elsewhere in the forum re the USA, how would they know any information if I didn't tell them?
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

I told the truth on my application and much to my relief it was granted. If I'd lied i'd have been worried about it all holiday[if they'd let me in!].
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

biologist said...
That's great news!

If you don't mind saying, what was your conviction for?

Biologist
I am a [reformed] sex offender

forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

lastgo70 said...

Hi, I have just had my visa application for china rejected (for an offence from 18 years ago), so I am curious to know, did you apply via post or did you attend in person?

in person tho I used the normal service so had to leave it with them and collect a few days later. Maybe it helped I'd been there before a few times pre-offending
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

napes44 said...
Hello all. I am planning to visit China in December and want to apply for my visa shortly. The q about a conviction troubles me. Do I answer it honestly and disclose my conviction albeit 6.5yrs ago or do I fail to disclose it? the conviction was for downloading 14 indecent images, an offence for which I continue to feel very guilty and remorseful. Any advice?

I had a similar and more recent offence and disclosed it and got a visa. I went in person to the visa office and they checked the form whilst I was there including my disclosure, I don't know if that made a difference me being there. Depending on if you're going with a tour co. they may get a group visa which may require less individual info to be disclosed. My only regret is not applying for a year-long visa so I could go again without having to resubmit an application, so if you think you may go more than once it's worth considering doing that.

forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

napes44 said...
I am going on own. Refusal of a visa would be a big problem hence my concern about disclosing.
I went on my own. It ain't easy all this. The person who checked my form just glanced at my form and ticked all my answers and said I could collect it 4 days later which I did. let's know what you decide and the outcome!
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

napes44 said...
Thank you for your experience and advice. How did you word your disclosure? The messages about non-disclosure are confusing and I am wondering about staying quiet especially as so many advise non-disclosure. I will also consider applying for a year long visa so thank you for that advice.
I kept it short and simple. Part of my thinking was as I was attendeding in person at the visa centre I was willing to explain it further if need be, I put something like "2005 conviction for possession of indecent images of children". I was in 2 minds about disclosing like you but I ended up deciding I didnt fancy being stopped in Shanghai airport and risk being sent back, which may have attracted publicity in UK, and on the other hand if my visa got refused it wasnt the end of the world if I couldnt go to China again
forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being

alibluehazel said...

forever changes said...

lastgo70 said...

Hi, I have just had my visa application for china rejected (for an offence from 18 years ago), so I am curious to know, did you apply via post or did you attend in person?

in person tho I used the normal service so had to leave it with them and collect a few days later. Maybe it helped I'd been there before a few times pre-offending

Hello there,

You said you went in person - where did you go? I want to go to China. 

I take it you mean where did I go to get a visa -  I went to the visa centre in Manchester, there's another in London. Just follow the procedure https://www.visaforchina.org.uk/visaen/visaView.html?method=readSimple&channelId=17#Menu=ChildMenu4 you have to start and make an appointment online and either complete the form online or print the form off and fill it in by hand - you can do the latter in the centre itself and there's a specimen completed form on the wall to help.

biologist
biologist
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)Supreme Being (1.3K reputation)

That's great news!

If you don't mind saying, what was your conviction for?

Biologist
GO