theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Honesty was the best policy

Honesty was the best policy

Author
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
nice to hear
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Hi Pixie

That's fantastic news. I agree with you and DeterminedToSucceed, there are some great people out there who are able to see the person and not just the conviction. I guess its human nature for us to only remember the bad guys!!!!!

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

I have the complete opposite opinion.

Never, ever disclose any criminal history to anyone, heed this advice and you'll be fine.
Mirrorman
Mirrorman
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)Supreme Being (23K reputation)

Happy for you.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)Supreme Being (41K reputation)

100% agree with above, but I also think it also depends strongly on what offense was.

UK has a terrible habit of covering its backside approach or just in case, so no one helps anyone anymore its this normal attitude which means no one does anything good.

Naturally rare moments do occur they I suspect are less likely.

No disclosure means you get treated equally and fairly from possible thought crimes and imo thought crimes are an criminal offense.
Pixie
Pixie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)Supreme Being (782 reputation)

I came here earlier in the week so worried as my DBS check came back and looked awful, I took the bull by the horns and spoke with my area manager about it and was totally honest about my conviction and she was great, she said she would need to chat to HR but was sure I would be ok. Anyway she called today as she had to cancel our meeting and said she mentioned it to HR who said they would only be looking at safeguarding issues and as it wasn't anything to do with that they were not bothered, my area manager said I didn't need to tell her but was delighted I could trust her and was so honest with and how much respect she had for me.
I was bloody amazed! There are truly some really nice folks out there that see past your conviction, I knew the charity I was working for was amazing but they rock now.
I'm just so chuffed and a weight as been lifted now.
turn turn turn turn
DeterminedToSucceed
DeterminedToSucceed
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)Supreme Being (5.7K reputation)

Hi Pixie,
Glad everything went well for you! I have to say, since conviction I have met some really genuinely great people - but not always those I should have been able to rely on. I think it was Charles Bukowski who wrote, "If you want to know who your friends are, get yourself a jail sentence"!
oliviathomas
oliviathomas
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

“No man has a good enough memory to make a successful liar.” -Abraham Lincoln
GO