theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Pets

Pets

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I just wanted to share how having a pet (or several) can help with depression and rehabilitation, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where you can have them.

After my conviction I felt like a pariah to society, despite never wishing any harm on any other soul, human or animal. I had thoughts of suicide. I got a cat, and then another, and they are my whole world, I love them so much it hurts. They make everything worth it. It is a myth that cats are unemotional and can't form bonds with humans.

Whether you're a cat person, dog person, or whatever pet you prefer, I can advise for anyone who feels lonely or that they have nothing to live for. You get something to live for, who depends on you to live and who loves you back without judging you. Equally importantly, you provide them with a loving forever home and a happy life. Also, the practical responsibilities, like feeding, cleaning, veterinary care, etc. help with your rehabilitation in becoming a responsible and reliable person, which can translate into other aspects of life like being a trustworthy employee etc. and gives your life more structure.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
BenS - 21 Sep 16 7:53 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to share how having a pet (or several) can help with depression and rehabilitation, if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where you can have them.

After my conviction I felt like a pariah to society, despite never wishing any harm on any other soul, human or animal. I had thoughts of suicide. I got a cat, and then another, and they are my whole world, I love them so much it hurts. They make everything worth it. It is a myth that cats are unemotional and can't form bonds with humans.

Whether you're a cat person, dog person, or whatever pet you prefer, I can advise for anyone who feels lonely or that they have nothing to live for. You get something to live for, who depends on you to live and who loves you back without judging you. Equally importantly, you provide them with a loving forever home and a happy life. Also, the practical responsibilities, like feeding, cleaning, veterinary care, etc. help with your rehabilitation in becoming a responsible and reliable person, which can translate into other aspects of life like being a trustworthy employee etc. and gives your life more structure.

Hi BenS

I totally agree with all you say in your post. I'm more of a dog person myself and know that my dog has, over the years, provided great emotional support just by being his affectionate, loyal self.

6 Ways Pets Relieve Depression

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO