theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Completing the ETA with a caution?

Completing the ETA with a caution?

Author
candec
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
candec - 11 Apr 17 5:16 PM
AB2014 - 11 Apr 17 1:22 PM
candec - 9 Apr 17 12:47 PM
danny50 - 10 Mar 17 3:02 PM
Deb S - 16 Dec 16 9:01 AM
You've got nothing to worry about with your caution. 

So how would that work with the actual question asked on ETA?

"Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?"

'Select ‘Yes’ if you have ever committed, been charged with or convicted of a crime in any country. Please provide as many details as possible. Failure to include additional and sufficient details may result in slower processing.'

Unlike the question on ESTA, where you can tick 'no' for some crimes, the Canadian question doesn't seem to have a get-out, even if you are rehabilitated.

I was thinking of travelling to Canada this year and according to what I've read the start date for a conviction is from the end of the sentence not from the conviction date . I served a 3 year probation which completed in April 2008. This becomes spent according to how it reads after 10 years in 2018. As stated earlier in the thread Canada's ETA includes all convictions unlike the USA's ESTA. I contacted an immigration lawyer in Ontario (anonymously) and was told to apply from a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa). The legal fees + TRV would add up to something like $1,200!  Does Canada share criminal records with UK as it does with the USA? I'm thinking of applying for the ETA and seeing if it is accepted.

Hi candec,

If you got 3 years probation that finished in 2008, then that became spent years ago. Three years prison would be spent seven years from the end of the sentence, which should still be past by now. There's info on the Unlock website here that should be helpful. The Uk doesn't share criminal records with Canada. Hope that helps.
Yes thanks it does allay most worries. The sentence was deemed spent here in 2009. What worried me was Canada is saying they automatically allow entry into Canada for anyone with a conviction when 10 years has elapsed since the completion of the sentence not from the start of the sentence. 10 years won't have elapsed until 2018. As that would only be about 7 months away when I might be  going there I think I will apply for an ETA and see what happens. 

Just to let you know I had a very enjoyable holiday in Canada.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)Supreme Being (132K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
candec - 23 Oct 17 1:42 PM
candec - 11 Apr 17 5:16 PM
AB2014 - 11 Apr 17 1:22 PM
candec - 9 Apr 17 12:47 PM
danny50 - 10 Mar 17 3:02 PM
Deb S - 16 Dec 16 9:01 AM
You've got nothing to worry about with your caution. 

So how would that work with the actual question asked on ETA?

"Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?"

'Select ‘Yes’ if you have ever committed, been charged with or convicted of a crime in any country. Please provide as many details as possible. Failure to include additional and sufficient details may result in slower processing.'

Unlike the question on ESTA, where you can tick 'no' for some crimes, the Canadian question doesn't seem to have a get-out, even if you are rehabilitated.

I was thinking of travelling to Canada this year and according to what I've read the start date for a conviction is from the end of the sentence not from the conviction date . I served a 3 year probation which completed in April 2008. This becomes spent according to how it reads after 10 years in 2018. As stated earlier in the thread Canada's ETA includes all convictions unlike the USA's ESTA. I contacted an immigration lawyer in Ontario (anonymously) and was told to apply from a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa). The legal fees + TRV would add up to something like $1,200!  Does Canada share criminal records with UK as it does with the USA? I'm thinking of applying for the ETA and seeing if it is accepted.

Hi candec,

If you got 3 years probation that finished in 2008, then that became spent years ago. Three years prison would be spent seven years from the end of the sentence, which should still be past by now. There's info on the Unlock website here that should be helpful. The Uk doesn't share criminal records with Canada. Hope that helps.
Yes thanks it does allay most worries. The sentence was deemed spent here in 2009. What worried me was Canada is saying they automatically allow entry into Canada for anyone with a conviction when 10 years has elapsed since the completion of the sentence not from the start of the sentence. 10 years won't have elapsed until 2018. As that would only be about 7 months away when I might be  going there I think I will apply for an ETA and see what happens. 

Just to let you know I had a very enjoyable holiday in Canada.

Glad to hear it,

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
GO