theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Eurostar / Eurotunnel

Eurostar / Eurotunnel

Author
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
To share some recent experiences (as someone who has to notify).

Eurostar - quick look at my passport both ends only. No questions, no 'discrete' checks. Same in both Paris and Brussels.

Eurotunnel with car - quick look on way out, nothing more. Lot longer process on way back - passport obviously flagged on UKBA system and the guy didn't really know what to do, so a long time asking all the usual questions - where had we been, how long away etc. and he wrote all the answers down by hand on paper. Not a big issue as my fellow travellers aware of the situation
james gtr manchester
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Yankee - 8 Mar 17 5:34 PM

Eurostar - quick look at my passport both ends only. No questions, no 'discrete' checks. Same in both Paris and Brussels.

Eurotunnel with car - quick look on way out, nothing more. Lot longer process on way back - passport obviously flagged on UKBA system and the guy didn't really know what to do, so a long time asking all the usual questions - where had we been, how long away etc. and he wrote all the answers down by hand on paper. Not a big issue as my fellow travellers aware of the situation

Do you know if you can live abroad on notification (sex offenders)???
4yorks
4yorks
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)Supreme Being (441 reputation)

james gtr manchester - 8 Mar 17 10:29 PM

In Europe you can ( for the next 2 years at least ). if you are seriously thinking about living abroad I'd go now 
Normallife
Normallife
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)Supreme Being (5.2K reputation)

4yorks - 9 Mar 17 4:07 PM
james gtr manchester - 8 Mar 17 10:29 PM

In Europe you can ( for the next 2 years at least ). if you are seriously thinking about living abroad I'd go now 

Being able to move there is the easy part (for now). But the question is what kind of employment can you take up? Do they do background checks for most jobs in Europe?
BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

I used to live abroad, while I was on the register.

The local police I deal with in the UK had no problem with me moving. The only logistical thing to do was to do a foreign travel notification whenever I returned to the UK. If I didn't know the next time I would be visiting, they simply leave the return date blank with a comment.

I moved to a capital city and got a standard office job where English was the main language, but it obviously helps a lot to learn the local language.

With regard to checks, most EU countries do not have the austere level of checks that the UK has. In the country I was in (a western European country), employers are forbidden point blank from asking about criminal records unless you are applying for a job working with children, vulnerable people, security, etc. There was no "basic disclosure" or anything like that. Most EU countries are much more respectful of privacy.
GO