theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Rehabilitation of Offenders (Scotland)

Rehabilitation of Offenders (Scotland)

Author
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
khafka - 29 Jan 20 6:07 PM
Harmless - 29 Jan 20 5:17 PM
AB2014 - 3 Sep 19 9:35 AM
Harmless - 30 Aug 19 9:31 PM
AB2014 - 27 Aug 19 9:04 AM
Harmless - 24 Aug 19 10:02 PM
Yankee - 23 Aug 19 12:34 PM
marcovanba - 23 Aug 19 11:57 AM
Harmless - 22 Aug 19 9:59 PM
AB2014 - 18 Sep 18 10:00 AM
Harmless - 17 Sep 18 11:22 PM
Square - 23 Feb 18 3:34 PM
There was an interesting report on th BBC website today regarding proposed changes to ROA in Scotland today. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-43153462) .
To sumarise:
- More use tof tags over prison
- Tags will be upgraded to GPS technology
- Changes to disclosure periods:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/1180E/production/_100149617_capture.jpg

Whilst I really do think this is a positive step forward (and all the more remarkable considering current hysteria regarding people with convictions) I still feel the biggest issue is with regards to Standard disclosure checks. I understand that there are certain jobs where certain convictions must be made clear regardless of age or disposal, however, these surely only be disclosed where an employer can justify their disclosure and not as a matter of course?

I wonder when people will realise that giving people a worth-while meaningful life reduces the likelihood of reoffending massively? 

What happens now to my 18 month custodial sentence passed in Scotland...if I'm in England?

Once you're in England, English law applies. An 18 month custodial sentence would become spent 4 years after the Sentence End Date.

I thought it was 5 years? So my  18 month Scottish custodial sentence (parole and all)  ended in November 2017. My record expires in November 2021?

Ive actually always wondered about this. I was sentenced in an English court (lived there at the time) but now reside in Scotland. So do I fall under the Scottish or English guidelines?

If the job is based in Scotland, the check will be processed under Scottish law by Disclosure Scotland.  If the job is based in England, it will be processed under English law by the DBS.

Can I apply for an English check from a Scottish address? Just for my curiosity purposes?

Edit: Also have any of the above changes taken place yet? If so, it ends my criminal record within months.

I don't see why you couldn't apply for an English check from a Scottish address. After all, you'd be paying £25 for it, so they wouldn't be doing it for nothing. Changes have been made in Scotland recently. I can't find any news reports, but you can see the law here.

I heard the law was passed in June of this year, but I don't know if it includes the proposed expiry dates.

You can see the relevant details of the law here. For sentences given by the armed forces, the details are here.

Does anyone have a secondary source verifying this? I know this is supposedly from the horse's mouth but it seems to have made no waves. Is there for example a news article reiterating that this has gone through?

I'd like to know this too.

If I'm reading this correctly. If you get a community payback order for example. You'd only have to disclose up to 1 year maximum and then you don't have to. As opposed to the original 5 years. That correct?

Well, there's an article here, if that helps. I'm surprised anyone would want a secondary source verifying the government's own legislation website, though. Even I'm not that suspicious. Wink

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Edited
4 Years Ago by AB2014
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Harmless - 29 Jan 20 5:17 PM
There was an interesting report on th BBC website today regarding proposed changes to ROA in Scotland today. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-43153462) .
To sumarise:
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/1180E/production/_100149617_capture.jpg

Whilst I really do think this is a positive step forward (and all the more remarkable considering current hysteria regarding people with convictions) I still feel the biggest issue is with regards to Standard disclosure checks. I understand that there are certain jobs where certain convictions must be made clear regardless of age or disposal, however, these surely only be disclosed where an employer can justify their disclosure and not as a matter of course?

I wonder when people will realise that giving people a worth-while meaningful life reduces the likelihood of reoffending massively? 

What happens now to my 18 month custodial sentence passed in Scotland...if I'm in England?

Once you're in England, English law applies. An 18 month custodial sentence would become spent 4 years after the Sentence End Date.

I thought it was 5 years? So my  18 month Scottish custodial sentence (parole and all)  ended in November 2017. My record expires in November 2021?

Ive actually always wondered about this. I was sentenced in an English court (lived there at the time) but now reside in Scotland. So do I fall under the Scottish or English guidelines?

If the job is based in Scotland, the check will be processed under Scottish law by Disclosure Scotland.  If the job is based in England, it will be processed under English law by the DBS.

Can I apply for an English check from a Scottish address? Just for my curiosity purposes?

Edit: Also have any of the above changes taken place yet? If so, it ends my criminal record within months.

I don't see why you couldn't apply for an English check from a Scottish address. After all, you'd be paying £25 for it, so they wouldn't be doing it for nothing. Changes have been made in Scotland recently. I can't find any news reports, but you can see the law here.

I heard the law was passed in June of this year, but I don't know if it includes the proposed expiry dates.

You can see the relevant details of the law here. For sentences given by the armed forces, the details are here.

Does anyone have a secondary source verifying this? I know this is supposedly from the horse's mouth but it seems to have made no waves. Is there for example a news article reiterating that this has gone through?

I'd like to know this too.

If I'm reading this correctly. If you get a community payback order for example. You'd only have to disclose up to 1 year maximum and then you don't have to. As opposed to the original 5 years. That correct?

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

To sumarise:

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

To sumarise:

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

To sumarise:

Edited
5 Years Ago by Harmless
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

Edited
5 Years Ago by Harmless
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

To sumarise:

Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

To sumarise:

For a custodial sentence between 6-30 months, it will become spent 4 years after the end of the full sentence, so in your case Nov 2021 based on your information. This assumes you were over 18 at conviction, you have no other convictions which are unspent and there are no extended licensing / orders attached to your sentence.
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

To sumarise:

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Harmless - 18 Sep 18 12:36 PM
Yankee - 18 Sep 18 12:15 PM
Harmless - 18 Sep 18 12:05 PM
To sumarise:

Nice. so how do I get my bit of paper from England saying my Scottish conviction is spent for English purposes?

It should no longer appear on a basic DBS disclosure certificate.  If you want to check, you can order one yourself (the instructions are on the following link).  Unlock also have the same information on their Hub.
Request DBS Certificate

What's the point in having a basic check when anyone could just reach for an enhanced?

Cost? Ink?

Anyone can't just get an enhanced. See Unlock's information here. I'm sure there are employers who do ineligible checks, but if the ICO caught them, they would have a case to answer. Oh, and basic checks are cheaper as well.

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

Yankee - 18 Sep 18 12:15 PM
To sumarise:

Nice. so how do I get my bit of paper from England saying my Scottish conviction is spent for English purposes?

It should no longer appear on a basic DBS disclosure certificate.  If you want to check, you can order one yourself (the instructions are on the following link).  Unlock also have the same information on their Hub.
Request DBS Certificate

What's the point in having a basic check when anyone could just reach for an enhanced?

Cost? Ink?
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

Request DBS Certificate
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

To sumarise:

Thorswrath
Thorswrath
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)Supreme Being (14K reputation)

To sumarise:

I guess with this kind of thing, in terms of 'rehabilitation' on paper is different to actual real life, heck i know people without criminal records that need rehabilitation!
It also depends on the nature of offence, ie: fraud is not a good precurser to becoming an accountant or working for a bank and rightly some offences carry bans on particular types of employment for life such as with regards to matters of protection of vulnerable adults, the elderly and children. 

The problem i feel in general is peoples willingness to give others the opportunity to prove themselves as reformed characters since there are many many jobs and career choices that don't relate to an offenders past behaviour, yet often the discrimination is based solely on the fact person A is a 'criminal' therefore can't be trusted. You get people with non contact based sex offences being turned away from jobs stacking shelves in the back of a warehouse well away from the general public etc and people convicted of dealing drugs refused opportunities to do something as basic as working behind a till at a supermarket,as if there is some kind of irrational fear that they might start selling drugs to people when they do their shopping. I think people become hyper sensitive and over cautious where it's not always proportionate and can end up doing more harm than good in the long run where the offender is concerned. Anyway that's my rant over.

If i had business, i'd employ an ex offender providing I was convinced they had turned their life around and showed genuine remorse and understanding about how their crime has impacted those around them.

Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

To sumarise:

GO