theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Has anyone successfully obtained a business bank account with a fraud conviction?

Has anyone successfully obtained a business bank account with a fraud...

Author
sahrenity
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)Supreme Being (661 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
CIFAS fraud database won't allow you to use 99% banks. Sad but true. So you better start using paypal, revolut and other online services for transferring money. I've been using such services to transfer profits from forex trading. Iildar Sharipov my snooker teammate told me the same thing. He is an instaforex broker owner, so he knows a lot about money transferring and bank rules. 

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

So does this database, or banks in general, not come under ROA? With the OP's sentence and the length of time passed, the conviction should now be spent.
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

Hi guys,

Thanks for replying to my "old" post.

I've been using my Paypal account mostly for business which has worked thus far.

Not ideal (with the extra fees involved) but needs must. It's also stopped me from setting up a LTD company so I pay more tax etc

My conviction should actually become spent in 366 days. Yes, 1 year and 1 day, not that I'm counting.

I am hoping after this things should be a little more relaxed. I will contact CIFAS after this date to make sure there i nothing on my record.

I know there most severe marker lasts 6 years. 6 years was also the time for my conviction to become spent.

To be honest I've had to jump through hoops to make things work, and it still does cause me a great deal of anxiety.

Not had any problems with my personal accounts etc but I dread communicating with my bank if I need to!!!
Derek Arnold
Derek Arnold
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)

marcovanba - 10 Jan 19 11:46 AM

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker here Smile

I received a 2 yr suspended sentence in February 2015 for fraud. It related to offences in 2010 and took a long time to get to court. I actually received pretty favourable comments from the judge and was given no community service nor costs to pay due to the way I had been treated by the prosecution.

On the downside, I have a pretty unique name and my case was given media coverage.

As a result, I was struck off from my profession even though it was not related to my offence. (Different job) Still, fair enough and I accepted it.

I worked as a labourer for my father for a year or so, but we don't really see eye to eye, so that came to end.

With little options I spent my time learning about selling online and have set up 2 online stores since.

Now the issue is that the 2nd store has been pretty successful, in fact better than I could have imagined.

I have 2 personal bank accounts that I use to pay for supplies / taxes etc but this is not ideal. I try to use Paypal as much as I can to stop my personal accounts being flagged for business use to. (Paypal also charge me more too)

I really want to grow the business and a business account would help. I applied to my own bank for a business account around 18 months ago and was rejected with no reason given.

I'm now scared to apply again or with another bank as I don't want my name being flagged up, and ending up getting my personal accounts blocked too.

I know banks share information and I could well have been given a CIFAS marker. ( i think this lasts 6 years so maybe it will be OK after then, but 2 years is a long time to wait)

I think I have proven that I will not offend again (offence now 9 years ago) but I know banks are so risk adverse and my name just does not help. Also, I am now paying a significant amount of income tax and VAT.

I had considered speaking to my local MP but I just don't want to destroy what I have built up by drawing attention.

So, I'm sorry for the long winded post but does anyone have any advice at all? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I received an eight year sentence for 'conspiracy to defraud'. When I was released in 2016 at the half-way mark, I went to HSBC, my previous bank of many years (since their Midland days in fact). They were not interested in having me as a customer despite umpteen years of loyal banking. I trotted off to Barclays, filled out the forms, presented my ID and my 'departure cheque' from prison and opened a bank account on the spot. They didn't ask, I didn't tell and I've been banking with them since. I only wanted a basic bank account, don't 'do' credit cards or overdrafts and stuff - if I don't have the money, I go without. They're worth a try.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)Supreme Being (161K reputation)

BenS - 25 Feb 20 9:27 AM
So does this database, or banks in general, not come under ROA? With the OP's sentence and the length of time passed, the conviction should now be spent.

The ROA would apply, but as Cifas doesn't hold anything beyond the fact of conviction, it's a bit more complicated than it should be. They generally hold information for as long as the statute-barring period for debts: 6 years. However, if the conviction becomes spent before then, you could ask them to remove it as they no longer have the legal right to process that information.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

G.swarm
G.swarm
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)

Hello, can you succesfully manage to register as a sole trader even with a CIFAS 6 marker?
G.swarm
G.swarm
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)Supreme Being (711 reputation)

G.swarm - 22 May 20 3:05 PM
Hello, can you succesfully manage to register as a sole trader even with a CIFAS 6 marker?

Update my people, i have since registered as a sole trader and even got a business account in monzo. Now all thats left is to keep working and keep getting money. Smile after my cifas 6 marker has ended i will be switching to a limited company, but until then a sole tradership will do especially compared to when i thought i could not legally start a business at all. Minzo is the way people, minzo is the way.
G.swarm
G.swarm
Supreme Being

marcovanba - 25 Feb 20 4:25 PM
Hi guys,

I've been using my Paypal account mostly for business which has worked thus far.

Not ideal (with the extra fees involved) but needs must. It's also stopped me from setting up a LTD company so I pay more tax etc

My conviction should actually become spent in 366 days. Yes, 1 year and 1 day, not that I'm counting.

I am hoping after this things should be a little more relaxed. I will contact CIFAS after this date to make sure there i nothing on my record.

I know there most severe marker lasts 6 years. 6 years was also the time for my conviction to become spent.

To be honest I've had to jump through hoops to make things work, and it still does cause me a great deal of anxiety.

Not had any problems with my personal accounts etc but I dread communicating with my bank if I need to!!!

Hi to clarify, do you mean the CIFAS. Prevents you from registering as a LTD company, or do you mean the fact that you can’t get a business account. I want to start a ltd company and i have a business account but i also have a cifas 6 marker, so i want to know if i can still register as a ltd company
Edited
4 Years Ago by G.swarm
marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

G.swarm - 16 Jun 20 10:50 PM
marcovanba - 25 Feb 20 4:25 PM
Hi guys,

Hi to clarify, do you mean the CIFAS. Prevents you from registering as a LTD company, or do you mean the fact that you can’t get a business account. I want to start a ltd company and i have a business account but i also have a cifas 6 marker, so i want to know if i can still register as a ltd company

Hi G.swarm,

I was able to set up a LTD company with no issues. My accountant set it up.

I was rejected for a business bank though.

That was a couple of years ago now though, so will try again when my conviction is spent. (Feb 2021)
G.swarm
G.swarm
Supreme Being

Hi, does anyone know how “trading 212” acts when it comes to cifas marks, and what is the best online stock broker for someone wth a CIFAS 6 mark. I’m going to try to apply for trasing 212 account later this week, and will uodate you if it works. In the meantime, please if anyone knows more info that would be great, thanks
GO