theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling on ESTA with conviction

Travelling on ESTA with conviction

Author
Wxm92
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)Supreme Being (268 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello, I know this has sort of been covered in previous posts but I wanted abit of clarification. I plan to travel to Las Vegas next year but am worried about my conviction flagging up. I got given a 2 year sentence in 2013 for possession with intent to supply class A. I have been squeaky clean since and have not had any other offences. I have a trip planned to Vegas to celebrate finishing my degree. I have already had an esta approved but was worried if my fingerprints will flag up on the cbp officers computer. I know they don’t have direct access to police national computer but they do have access to Interpol, would my offence be on Interpol it is that just for serious offenders? Also I wanted to know if there is anyone on here who has travelled on an esta with convictions who has been all right or if anyone has had problems.

Thank you in advance
scotboy
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)

Wxm92 - 30 Oct 19 11:39 AM
Hello, I know this has sort of been covered in previous posts but I wanted abit of clarification. I plan to travel to Las Vegas next year but am worried about my conviction flagging up. I got given a 2 year sentence in 2013 for possession with intent to supply class A. I have been squeaky clean since and have not had any other offences. I have a trip planned to Vegas to celebrate finishing my degree. I have already had an esta approved but was worried if my fingerprints will flag up on the cbp officers computer. I know they don’t have direct access to police national computer but they do have access to Interpol, would my offence be on Interpol it is that just for serious offenders? Also I wanted to know if there is anyone on here who has travelled on an esta with convictions who has been all right or if anyone has had problems.

Thank you in advance

UK passports  only have facial biometrics no fingerprints unlike the EU which has both.Did you travel to US before your conviction if so they will have your fingerprints.
Why not fly via Dublin if anything happens it's a short hop back to Uk better than sitting on a plane for an anxious seven hours or so.you might be able to glean some information from the forums at www.travellerspoint.com or www.urban75.net.....hope it goes well for you. 

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

scotboy - 1 Nov 19 10:48 PM

Thank you in advance

UK passports  only have facial biometrics no fingerprints unlike the EU which has both.Did you travel to US before your conviction if so they will have your fingerprints.
Why not fly via Dublin if anything happens it's a short hop back to Uk better than sitting on a plane for an anxious seven hours or so.you might be able to glean some information from the forums at www.travellerspoint.com or www.urban75.net.....hope it goes well for you. 

I agree with scotboy's advice. Also, Interpol lists are for people the police want to catch, not people they've already caught. There are one or two exceptions, it seems, but that is the proper use of Interpol alerts.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

forever changes
forever changes
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

AB2014 - 6 Nov 19 10:36 AM

Thank you in advance

I agree with scotboy's advice. Also, Interpol lists are for people the police want to catch, not people they've already caught. There are one or two exceptions, it seems, but that is the proper use of Interpol alerts.

What are fingerprints to do with anything?

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

forever changes - 19 Nov 19 11:45 AM

Thank you in advance

When you arrive in the US, they take your fingerprints. They keep them on file to prevent anyone else using your ID, and presumably to check that you don't overstay. They don't delete them when you leave.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
AB2014 - 19 Nov 19 11:58 AM

Thank you in advance

When you arrive in the US, they take your fingerprints. They keep them on file to prevent anyone else using your ID, and presumably to check that you don't overstay. They don't delete them when you leave.

Hi
My son has just returned from the USA and no fingerprints were taken

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

JASB - 20 Nov 19 2:02 PM
AB2014 - 19 Nov 19 11:58 AM

Thank you in advance

Hi
My son has just returned from the USA and no fingerprints were taken

Good to hear. The DHS say they're doing it at major ports of entry, but if they're not then that's up to them.

GO