theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Cutting to the chase

Cutting to the chase

Author
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)Supreme Being (80K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Zack - 27 Jan 20 11:06 AM

Unless it's changed recently, you don't need an ESTA for land crossings. So possible to cross from Mexico or Canada without one.

It remains true that you don't need an ESTA for land crossing to the US.

However, having an ESTA regardless makes it quicker. If you turn up in your car to the border without an ESTA, you have to park up, go inside an immigration building, wait an unspecified amount of time, and fill out a paper form with the same questions that feature on the ESTA. Whereas if you already have an ESTA, it's a quick check while you remain in your car, and off you go. So it's worth getting an ESTA anyway even for land crossings. This was my brother's experience of turning up to the border from Canada without an ESTA. Perfectly legal but then you have to do all the same paperwork. Turn up with an ESTA and the paperwork is done already.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)Supreme Being (160K reputation)

JASB - 27 Jan 20 3:08 PM
Zack - 27 Jan 20 11:13 AM
Harmless - 26 Jan 20 5:49 PM
Harmless - 26 Jan 20 5:39 PM
Harmless - 26 Jan 20 5:14 PM
Yankee - 2 Jan 20 4:27 PM
Harmless - 25 Dec 19 12:40 PM
I would quite like to know the pros and cons, and likelihood of success, of a  sex offender travelling to the United States as a second port of call arranged upon the first port.

Bearing in mind I'm currently abroad in Europe anyway.

There's been lots of comment (including from myself) in other threads that relate to this topic.

Bottom line is that the US will know you are coming as you will have either completed an ESTA application or if you have a valid one or visa from before your conviction, submitted Advanced Passenger Information to your airline. Both would have been screened by the US against their watch lists.

The open question, therefore, is this : do the UK share information with the US about sex offenders that does not go through formal Interpol channels?  For example, does the UK share any of it's own watch lists?

If the answer is No, everything should be OK as the US would have no way of knowing about your conviction (you would simply be risking the wrath of your PPU for not notifying the travel in advance).

Even though there are no formal legal agreements between the UK and US to share such information outside Interpol channels, it became very clear when our NCA went public with how they warn their counterparts elsewhere and vice versa that informal channels do exist. I am also aware of something known as 'embassy to embassy' communication in this regards.

Regardless, you would assume that any informal notifications would relate to high risk people only as there is plenty of evidence on this forum (including myself) of people travelling outside the EU, notifying correctly and no Interpol notices being generated. My PPU made it quite clear that their objective is not to stop anyone from travelling unless they see a significant risk.

The other open question for me is:

When you declare you're going abroad (anywhere) do the UK police inform your first port of call only, or is it the entire world they inform (in as much as they have the relevant systems in place)?

Let me be clear. I do not expect to be able to enter the US from the UK, i.e. as a first port of call. But I do, for reasons of Shengen, expect to be able to go from here in the Netherlands to Germany etc. As I have done.

The question on the ESTA pertain only to "causing harm to others" with one's crime, and as mine was a crime of possession I would argue that I never did and the law here was preemptive. So the ESTA questions themselves don't damn me.

It would be good to get these questions answered once and for all, given that, as you've said, the peripheral details have been discussed a lot already.

There are a lot of related questions. E.g.

(I'll invent a jargon here to save time)

USSPC = "Undeclared spontaneous second port of call" (so I'm in country 1 legit, and on a whim I decide to enter country 2).

- Am I allowed to enter an overseas territory (e.g. Gibraltar) as a USSPC? E.g. Spain to Gibraltar?

- If I enter Ireland as a USSPC, would I be identified and asked to register on the Irish SOR?

One could test the concept quickly by doing a Netherlands -> Ireland jaunt with Ireland undeclared, although the intent to do so while in the UK would  constitute a crime.

Unless it's changed recently, you don't need an ESTA for land crossings. So possible to cross from Mexico or Canada without one.

Btw, i'd also expect at least Canada and USA to share info. I'd query if it was worth the risk, just by posting means if they check your internet history, they can tell you were considering bypassing notification.

Hi Zack,
Though I am aware they could go to a Service provider and ask for your search history, that would need a legal reason i.e. offence suspected, and would take a long time. Again if you do not have an internet connection at home how do they check with the ISP?
Before you say about a laptop's history then as long as you do not have any conditions on keeping it for inspection, and with all the data hackers about nowadays, it is quite reasonable for you you clear your history etc from the computer. Some software actually go to military security standard on removing data residues.

Also so many individuals are ending up with some form of sex offence conviction some thing really serious would need to happen for them to undertake all the legal process.
My opinion anyway.

What you say makes sense, but by now do you really expect sense to be applied here? In any case, restrictions often specify not deleting information, and not using or installing deletion software. 

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Zack - 27 Jan 20 11:13 AM
I would quite like to know the pros and cons, and likelihood of success, of a  sex offender travelling to the United States as a second port of call arranged upon the first port.

There's been lots of comment (including from myself) in other threads that relate to this topic.

Bottom line is that the US will know you are coming as you will have either completed an ESTA application or if you have a valid one or visa from before your conviction, submitted Advanced Passenger Information to your airline. Both would have been screened by the US against their watch lists.

The open question, therefore, is this : do the UK share information with the US about sex offenders that does not go through formal Interpol channels?  For example, does the UK share any of it's own watch lists?

If the answer is No, everything should be OK as the US would have no way of knowing about your conviction (you would simply be risking the wrath of your PPU for not notifying the travel in advance).

Even though there are no formal legal agreements between the UK and US to share such information outside Interpol channels, it became very clear when our NCA went public with how they warn their counterparts elsewhere and vice versa that informal channels do exist. I am also aware of something known as 'embassy to embassy' communication in this regards.

Regardless, you would assume that any informal notifications would relate to high risk people only as there is plenty of evidence on this forum (including myself) of people travelling outside the EU, notifying correctly and no Interpol notices being generated. My PPU made it quite clear that their objective is not to stop anyone from travelling unless they see a significant risk.

When you declare you're going abroad (anywhere) do the UK police inform your first port of call only, or is it the entire world they inform (in as much as they have the relevant systems in place)?

Let me be clear. I do not expect to be able to enter the US from the UK, i.e. as a first port of call. But I do, for reasons of Shengen, expect to be able to go from here in the Netherlands to Germany etc. As I have done.

The question on the ESTA pertain only to "causing harm to others" with one's crime, and as mine was a crime of possession I would argue that I never did and the law here was preemptive. So the ESTA questions themselves don't damn me.

It would be good to get these questions answered once and for all, given that, as you've said, the peripheral details have been discussed a lot already.

USSPC = "Undeclared spontaneous second port of call" (so I'm in country 1 legit, and on a whim I decide to enter country 2).

- Am I allowed to enter an overseas territory (e.g. Gibraltar) as a USSPC? E.g. Spain to Gibraltar?

- If I enter Ireland as a USSPC, would I be identified and asked to register on the Irish SOR?

One could test the concept quickly by doing a Netherlands -> Ireland jaunt with Ireland undeclared, although the intent to do so while in the UK would  constitute a crime.

Btw, i'd also expect at least Canada and USA to share info. I'd query if it was worth the risk, just by posting means if they check your internet history, they can tell you were considering bypassing notification.

Hi Zack,
Though I am aware they could go to a Service provider and ask for your search history, that would need a legal reason i.e. offence suspected, and would take a long time. Again if you do not have an internet connection at home how do they check with the ISP?
Before you say about a laptop's history then as long as you do not have any conditions on keeping it for inspection, and with all the data hackers about nowadays, it is quite reasonable for you you clear your history etc from the computer. Some software actually go to military security standard on removing data residues.

Also so many individuals are ending up with some form of sex offence conviction some thing really serious would need to happen for them to undertake all the legal process.
My opinion anyway.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Zack
Zack
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)

Zack
Zack
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)Supreme Being (8.5K reputation)

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)

Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)Supreme Being (21K reputation)

USSPC = "Undeclared spontaneous second port of call" (so I'm in country 1 legit, and on a whim I decide to enter country 2, with all VISAs , ESTAs and what have you applied for in country 2).

Edited
4 Years Ago by Harmless
Harmless
Harmless
Supreme Being

Edited
4 Years Ago by Harmless
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi
To be honest as far as the states is concerned I do not think it matters where you come from.
All I can say is I am planning 2 trips, 1 to Brazil and 2nd to belize.
I have decided to go via Portugal for No 1 and Mexico for No 2.
This means I do not touch USA.
I have heard rumours of  a low risk sex offender providing a night by night stopover trip in the US and it being accepted BUT cannot remember his actual offence. Sorry but look forward to reading other replies.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO