theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Disclosure - Rehabilitation of Offenders

Disclosure - Rehabilitation of Offenders

Author
deebee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)Supreme Being (218 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all, i'm hoping for somoe advice.
I am currently in the process of application for a number of jobs, however i have concerns over my disclosre period.
According to the revised Rehabillitation of Offenders Act, my sentence (a fine) should be spent 12 months post the date of sentencing.

I applied for a basic disclosure certificate (to check and ensure it has been removed from that level of check) and it is still sitting on record.

I have sent this information to my solicitor and to my surprise his response was "even after 35 years i am confused by the disclosure rules".

My question - how can i facilitate or instigate the removal of my conviction or "make it spent" on a basic disclosure check.

Really hope someone has an answer for this
Thanks

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

deebee - 6 Feb 20 8:37 AM
Hi all, i'm hoping for somoe advice.
I am currently in the process of application for a number of jobs, however i have concerns over my disclosre period.
According to the revised Rehabillitation of Offenders Act, my sentence (a fine) should be spent 12 months post the date of sentencing.

I applied for a basic disclosure certificate (to check and ensure it has been removed from that level of check) and it is still sitting on record.

I have sent this information to my solicitor and to my surprise his response was "even after 35 years i am confused by the disclosure rules".

My question - how can i facilitate or instigate the removal of my conviction or "make it spent" on a basic disclosure check.

Really hope someone has an answer for this
Thanks

One of the biggest problems can be with "relevant orders". If you were also given compensation, or something like a restraining order or a ban on keeping animals, or being a company director, then the conviction won't become spent while that order is in force. As compensation is imposed by means of a compensation order, if you get that, you need to give the DBS proof of payment or they will assume you haven't paid it yet. If you're still not sure, you can contact the Unlock Helpline.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Rufus
Rufus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

I think its ridiculous that the DBS have no way of knowing if you have paid a compensation order or not and you have to provide additional proof - you would soon be arrested if you did not pay it, so how can they not know.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Rufus
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

It is a stupid system, it is even more ridiculous that until a person is caught out by a compensation order still showing on a DBS they were not aware there conviction was not spent.

so looking deeper in to it they could have been inadvertently giving wrong info to insurance companies etc etc 

the courts do not even make people aware they need to inform DBS that they have made the payment the system is backwards
GO