theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

2020 Thailand travel

2020 Thailand travel

Author
Popeye
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I am on the sex offenders register for another 6 yrs following a conviction for historical offence.My wife is Thai and married for 11 yrs.
My question is can I go to Thailand for a holiday.I have spoken to my local ppu who have said I am low risk and have no travel bans and to contact the Thai embassy.
I did this and was told nothing to worry about as long as not on wanted list.
However reading on the internet many people have had a problem.
Has anyone been through this and entered/ sent back from Thailand recently
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Popeye - 5 Mar 20 9:06 AM
Hi,
I am on the sex offenders register for another 6 yrs following a conviction for historical offence.My wife is Thai and married for 11 yrs.
My question is can I go to Thailand for a holiday.I have spoken to my local ppu who have said I am low risk and have no travel bans and to contact the Thai embassy.

Hi
I have extend thai family - via my father marriage to a Thai lady, he is now deceased but I wish to return to visit them as I have done numerous times prior to my offence. I actually visited for 3 months whilst on bail with no concerns by the Police.
I am surprised your PPU said what they did as though I am low risk, assessed as unsuitable for SOT courses etc I was told they would not approve the travel due to the reputation of Thailand.
I will be interested in your findings as my research is showing it as a negative.
Good luck

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

JASB - 5 Mar 20 3:38 PM
Popeye - 5 Mar 20 9:06 AM
Hi,

Hi
I have extend thai family - via my father marriage to a Thai lady, he is now deceased but I wish to return to visit them as I have done numerous times prior to my offence. I actually visited for 3 months whilst on bail with no concerns by the Police.
I am surprised your PPU said what they did as though I am low risk, assessed as unsuitable for SOT courses etc I was told they would not approve the travel due to the reputation of Thailand.
I will be interested in your findings as my research is showing it as a negative.
Good luck

As you say, the problem is with the destination, not the person. That's probably not unusual for most people.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

BenS
BenS
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)Supreme Being (79K reputation)

I visited Thailand while on the SOR and having duly notified my PPO. They obviously didn't put a notice out on me as I got in no problem. Trips of under 30 days to Thailand are visa-free for UK citizens, and when I was there several years ago there was no question about convictions on the immigration form that you filled in on the plane (though who knows, this could have changed). I was attending a wedding in a rural area in the north of Thailand, far from Bangkok or any of the places in the south with seedy reputations, so maybe that was a factor, or maybe not, I have no idea.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

BenS - 6 Mar 20 2:43 PM
I visited Thailand while on the SOR and having duly notified my PPO. They obviously didn't put a notice out on me as I got in no problem. Trips of under 30 days to Thailand are visa-free for UK citizens, and when I was there several years ago there was no question about convictions on the immigration form that you filled in on the plane (though who knows, this could have changed). I was attending a wedding in a rural area in the north of Thailand, far from Bangkok or any of the places in the south with seedy reputations, so maybe that was a factor, or maybe not, I have no idea.

Hi Bens
As I have mentioned I travelled whilst on bail with no issues and no questions. Reading some material on Thailand does suggest most of SE Asia is stopping any offenders entering.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

JASB - 6 Mar 20 3:24 PM

Hi Bens
As I have mentioned I travelled whilst on bail with no issues and no questions. Reading some material on Thailand does suggest most of SE Asia is stopping any offenders entering.

I notified the local plod about foreign travel this week and was given a sheet of paper stating that they (the police) were aware that some countries have "recently" stopped RSO from entering. Recently was not defined. They said that these countries were not located in any particular part of the world and they mentioned 3 by name: Morocco, Tunisia and Thailand. They also advised contacting the embassy before going. Sounds like something Unlock could be doing?  Contacting all the embassies and publishing a list on the website saying which have a policy of not allowing RSO.

Popeye
Popeye
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)Supreme Being (775 reputation)

Thanks for the info.Will contact my the ppu on Monday and contact the Thai embassy again,see what they say
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being

punter99 - 7 Mar 20 10:08 AM

Hi Bens

I notified the local plod about foreign travel this week and was given a sheet of paper stating that they (the police) were aware that some countries have "recently" stopped RSO from entering. Recently was not defined. They said that these countries were not located in any particular part of the world and they mentioned 3 by name: Morocco, Tunisia and Thailand. They also advised contacting the embassy before going. Sounds like something Unlock could be doing?  Contacting all the embassies and publishing a list on the website saying which have a policy of not allowing RSO.

Hi
I agree and NACRO do offer some advice: https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettlement-advice-service/support-for-individuals/travelling-abroad-and-immigration-to-the-uk/travelling-abroad-while-on-the-sex-offenders-register/

Some other posts have started to list countries but not even the Government will spend the effort doing so (a) why help SO's and (b) they do not want to be used as evidence for a SO notification that they can just incase the info is out of date.
Be good though.

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Hi Bens

Well, I'm not sure Unlock would have the resources to do that on top of the other stuff they do. In any case, if they asked the question, I'm sure many countries would write back and thank them for an excellent suggestion that they will see implemented as soon as possible....

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

AB2014 - 10 Mar 20 9:27 AM

Hi Bens

Well, I'm not sure Unlock would have the resources to do that on top of the other stuff they do. In any case, if they asked the question, I'm sure many countries would write back and thank them for an excellent suggestion that they will see implemented as soon as possible....

When you look at how often this subject comes up on the forums, I would have thought it merited some priority. The biggest problem would be staying on top of any list to make sure it was up to date.

I'm sure many of these countries are fully aware of the existence of RSO already and will have considered a total ban. The political capital to be gained from that would have to balanced against the potential loss of revenue. An RSO's money is as good as anybody elses.

GO