theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Get out of lockdown free pass (To see probation officer)

Get out of lockdown free pass (To see probation officer)

Author
Dean91
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
https://www.bgsw.probationservices.co.uk/2020/03/20/coronavirus-service-user-information/ 

If people use this area also - some helpful info. 
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Some other interesting ideas from probation, in response to the lockdown. They have been told to review every offender on their caseload. A massive task, as there are around 250k on probation at any one time. All of the 4k, due for early release soon, will be tagged, to ensure they stay at home, once out of jail. Swapping one prison cell for another?

It has also been suggested that OMs include complying with social distancing rules as a part of EVERY person's sentence plan. Just what offenders need, another reason for them to be breached/recalled. Wonder if that applies to illegal sunbathing?

But, in approved premises, staff will not now carry out room searches, do welfare checks or conduct drug tests. Plenty of scope for things to go wrong there. Anyone would think they wanted people to reoffend? Plus, their offices remain open to see offenders who are homeless, high risk, or who don't have a mobile and yet they still don't have any PPE. I know the govt doesn't particularly care if a few offenders die, but even so, when you have some people using their cough as a weapon, it hardly seems like a good idea.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

I don't know if this will have any answers or not but it could be interesting.

The impact of #COVID19 on the probation system will be put under the microscope by the Justice Committee.
We will hear from @Napo_News @HMIProbation  @uservoiceorg @Nacro before Lucy Fraser MP - Minister of State at the Ministry of Justice.
The session will be broadcast live Tuesday 14 April - 2.30pm parliamentlive.tv/Commons

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)

TheWeird1 - 7 Apr 20 7:57 PM
I spoke to my OM last week; and from what I can gather is they are moving towards more telephone contact, and some offenders will get Probation arrive at home but this was more a "Hello how are you? and are you safe?" type check and not going to be instrusive.

Ironic that as "offenders" (most of us being a typical person that got caught out due to a one-off mistake years ago and are coping with the current situation as we are no different than people without a record) are getting these calls/appointments like having a free carer meanwhile some vulnerable people do not have any sort of support like this in these times
I attended my F2F appointment yesterday which was made even more pointless due to the fact it was a different officer yet again asking me the same questions as the previous two I have had for 5 minutes. I was within 50cm of the person I was meeting
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

alexh07 - 9 Apr 20 10:20 PM
I spoke to my OM last week; and from what I can gather is they are moving towards more telephone contact, and some offenders will get Probation arrive at home but this was more a "Hello how are you? and are you safe?" type check and not going to be instrusive.

Ironic that as "offenders" (most of us being a typical person that got caught out due to a one-off mistake years ago and are coping with the current situation as we are no different than people without a record) are getting these calls/appointments like having a free carer meanwhile some vulnerable people do not have any sort of support like this in these times
I attended my F2F appointment yesterday which was made even more pointless due to the fact it was a different officer yet again asking me the same questions as the previous two I have had for 5 minutes. I was within 50cm of the person I was meeting

Absolutely appalling, you shouldn't have been put through that.

=====
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi
Further emotional damage is being done becuase when in that scenario you have no recourse for complaint as it would be seen as just not wanting to go to a meeting.
In regard to the questions being asked, I am afraid we have to take that out of the issue as to be honest, unless your normal PO left questions the replacement has to go into "default" mode unfortunately. This is more a common lack of organisational pre-planning; mitiagation given if your PO went sick that day though.

Always remember the authorities apply pressure on us to be well organised, plan every detail of our lives to perfection; but they say they cannot be expected to do the same.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being

JASB - 10 Apr 20 2:39 PM

Hi
Further emotional damage is being done becuase when in that scenario you have no recourse for complaint as it would be seen as just not wanting to go to a meeting.
In regard to the questions being asked, I am afraid we have to take that out of the issue as to be honest, unless your normal PO left questions the replacement has to go into "default" mode unfortunately. This is more a common lack of organisational pre-planning; mitiagation given if your PO went sick that day though.

Always remember the authorities apply pressure on us to be well organised, plan every detail of our lives to perfection; but they say they cannot be expected to do the same.

in that scenario you have no recourse for complaint as it would be seen as just not wanting to go to a meeting.

Not sure I agree on that point, assuming 100% attendance previously, making a stand about not going to a meeting during a global pandemic with government advice being hammered every day to stay home and not meet others should be seen as such and certainly not resistance to comply. But like you say, I do agree with the theory 'one rule for one...' it's no less than mental abuse.

=====
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mr W - 10 Apr 20 3:30 PM
JASB - 10 Apr 20 2:39 PM

Hi

in that scenario you have no recourse for complaint as it would be seen as just not wanting to go to a meeting.

Not sure I agree on that point, assuming 100% attendance previously, making a stand about not going to a meeting during a global pandemic with government advice being hammered every day to stay home and not meet others should be seen as such and certainly not resistance to comply. But like you say, I do agree with the theory 'one rule for one...' it's no less than mental abuse.

Hi
Understand your point and possible using that sort of evidence in supporting a complaint. Maybe I am being too cynical for a positive person however, it is an organision that presents and is expected to have a strong stand against offenders (EX) hence my suggestion that the media would report the facts in a manner not favourable to the complaintant.

As always when I am cynical I hope my perspective is proven wrong.   
Keep safe

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Some stuff that came out of the Justice Committee's investigation into how probation are coping with the virus.

Approved premises will only get PPE after someone in there shows symptoms. Clearly, by then, it's already too late as the whole place could be infected.

Suicide rates among those released from prison have gone up, probably due to the lockdown and lack of available mental health support. GP surgeries and A&E are hardly seeing anybody face to face these days. More than half of CRC users have stopped receiving any support since the outbreak. One in three service users have stopped receiving any form of mental health service—that is telephone contact or the groups that they were involved in. Roughly one in five have stopped receiving substance misuse services.

Imagine coming from a dysfunctional family background and then being released back into that environment, with the added problem, that none of you can leave the house.

People who cannot be tagged, since they have been released to a home, where somebody else has the virus, will be recalled. Effectively the offender gets punished, for something over which they have no control.

The freeing of the extra 4,000 prisoners, who are within 2 months of release, is taking so long, most of them would have come out anyway. Only 4 had been released as of 14th April. Then the scheme was suspended on April 17th, after 6 people were freed by mistake. But as fast they come out, more are going in, like all the ones being sent to prison now, for coughing at police. Unlike France we haven't put a suspension in place, to stop any more people going into prison, while the pandemic continues.
Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)

The random phonecalls which can be any time of the week/day are getting very annoying as half of the time I am missing them or sleeping due to working nightshifts and then they are being stern that I need to answer them if I miss any

Today I was very kindly sent a letter through the post with the big PROBATION stamp on it for all of my new neighbours in the block to see and recognise me as a criminal

I now have a home visit appointment next week which is apparently going to be yet another new officer (the 4th one I have had since moving area 2 months ago). I am expecting the same patronising questions about why I moved area as if it's an extreme anomaly for someone to move and has to be justified with several reasons. I suppose I will also have to expect a chance of being infected by them, either that or standing at the front door chatting to me for all the neighbours to hear

Seriously, all I did was retaliate to someone by annoying and offending them on Facebook (online "harassment)"in late 2016 and I still have to put up with constantly being reminded that I am a criminal, in my case this isn't helping me to move on with my life at all. The social worker, judge, prosecution, police and my lawyer all knew that it was a one sided case designed to provide results and meet targets but kept sweeping my complaints about the injustice under the carpet to make sure the public know that they are a good use of taxpayer resources and keep themselves in a pretend job
Edited
4 Years Ago by alexh07
GO