theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

what help do they offer ?

what help do they offer ?

Author
Rufus
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)Supreme Being (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
what help do the probation office offer to get you back into work - do they do offer training courses etc as mine hasnt rely offered anything rather than an informal chat every few weeks. 
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Morning Rufus, that is a good question 10yrs ago when i came out my probation services did have a work coach and tried to point you in the right direction, then again this was at a time when there was loads of national and local government money for training courses.

From what i hear, read and see now it looks like due to cut backs this has been parked off to the great world (excuse the sarcasm) of Universal credit and the job centre. And it seems that (in the area that I live) if you are already well trained and educated the likely hood of being sent on any training courses or employment retraining is slim

I am not sure what it is like for other areas.

all the best  
Dean91
Dean91
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)Supreme Being (6.4K reputation)

Mornng Rufus

Could ask your probation officer?  as they should be able to provide the information. 

I know my office offers some training but with what is going on, everything is suspended. 

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Rufus - 12 May 20 6:27 PM
what help do the probation office offer to get you back into work - do they do offer training courses etc as mine hasnt rely offered anything rather than an informal chat every few weeks. 

Hi Rufus,

I am sorry to say my experience highlighted many issues with this element of the Probation Office responsibilities towards the "rehabilitation" of ex-offenders.

I do not wish to point all the blame on the individual officers as they have many factors hindering any approach they may wish to take. Time, workload or their interest, are important factors and dependant on the relationship between the "supervisor" and the "offender".

In the Probation Office I attended, the walls were covered in posters showing schemes but unfortunately they were mostly for a different gender, age group, type of offence etc, but mostly out of date.
My Probation Officer's support was founded on "how do you declare your offence?" or "The reason you did not get the job is because your approach is wrong!"

He would try to offer advice (not vacancies) by using his past experience as a recruiter; unfortunately he refused to agree that the skills sets for the roles he said he had the experience of, were not relevant for my skill set or the type of roles I worked in. My experience of recruiting for "higher skilled" positions caused a conflict between us, as to him, it left him in a position of not being the "alpha".

Especially in the current scenario, history indicates that training might be one of the first items cut from a budget. Please do not let this dismay you though.
Make your own training schemes!

Do this by listing your present skills and experiences. Then think of the role titles you would like to do and list the skills / experience needed to do these roles. 
Remember that skills and experience are what they called transferable!  This means you should look and no matter how slim the linkage between them is it is the foundation for improving on. Think how many roles need good maths. I often recruited someone not because they had the "correct skills", but they had a skill that could be enhanced and used. this also showed the employee I supported them so gained their loyalty. 
You could Google "mind map example" for examples of linking items together in a diagrammatic way to see things easier..

I am sure you have already started looking at what the Job center offers, vacancies etc, so first I would suggest apply and accept interviews for any role that will look at you. I say this because if you get an interview you will start to get confident in the manner you declare and the information you give. If you get the job then it is something that you can write on your CV and will give other prospective employers confidence in you when they consider you.

Remember in our situation, it is more likely we have to start somewhere/anywhere and work harder to progress that others.

Good luck and remember it is not selfish to concentrate of ensuring you are safe first because, because only then you are able to make others safe!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)

Would be interesting to know this. I always wondered if I mentioned that I drink alcohol or gamble that they would send me on a course?

All of my probation appointments have just been pointless chats asking what I've been up to
Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)Supreme Being (37K reputation)

alexh07 - 15 May 20 9:15 AM
Would be interesting to know this. I always wondered if I mentioned that I drink alcohol or gamble that they would send me on a course?

All of my probation appointments have just been pointless chats asking what I've been up to

Have you had contact with APM? - https://apm-uk.co.uk/   or  https://apm-uk.co.uk/personal/finding-work  the people there help offenders back into work, offer free employment training courses etc. My experience with them has been positive and completely non-judgemental as they help people from all sorts of criminal backgrounds. Appointments with them got me out of the house (they pay your travel) and a chance to chat about things open and honestly.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
GO