theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Studying and Disclosure Support- How to progress in life?

Studying and Disclosure Support- How to progress in life?

Author
Petra19
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My first conviction for common assault and criminal damage, it was a stupid mistake I regret.

I was given a 6-month prison sentence (Suspended) for 2 years.  I posted last year about being nervous the college judging me for my past cautions. Recently the college found out and asked me to declare, I did two weeks ago and now await their reply. At first, my mental health rapidly declined because for the past 3 years I have focused on studying numerous courses with the college passing and then decided to apply for the same course online.

How can those convicted do good in society if many doors close in front of them?

I am in the process of finishing my disclosure statement although when any forms ask for me to declare I get nervous and would like some advice about how increase my confidence? 
Two other application forms asked about my conviction and I pulled away before filling out in fear of discrimination. I am keen to get back on the ladder contributing to society.

I am not sure about employers asking us to disclose our criminal convictions are covered under the data protection act? Do they gossip to random strangers about my conviction? I understand they can talk within their company. 

Sometimes I feel defeated and other times happy, unfortunately, more times not.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Petra19
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Petra19 - 13 Jul 20 2:05 PM
My first conviction for common assault and criminal damage, it was a stupid mistake I regret.

I was given a 6-month prison sentence (Suspended) for 2 years.  I posted last year about being nervous the college judging me for my past cautions. Recently the college found out and asked me to declare, I did two weeks ago and now await their reply. At first, my mental health rapidly declined because for the past 3 years I have focused on studying numerous courses with the college passing and then decided to apply for the same course online.

How can those convicted do good in society if many doors close in front of them?

I am in the process of finishing my disclosure statement although when any forms ask for me to declare I get nervous and would like some advice about how increase my confidence? 
Two other application forms asked about my conviction and I pulled away before filling out in fear of discrimination. I am keen to get back on the ladder contributing to society.

I am not sure about employers asking us to disclose our criminal convictions are covered under the data protection act? Do they gossip to random strangers about my conviction? I understand they can talk within their company. 

Sometimes I feel defeated and other times happy, unfortunately, more times not.

In times like these it is best not to think to far ahead, stay in the here and now and focus on the present. I applied for an online uni course a few weeks ago and I also had to show documents to show what my offence was how long my conviction is for and I showed details of my SHPO conditions. I was also a little rattled by having to disclose my conviction but I said to my self NO. I am not going to let this hold me back from trying to move on and rebuild my life. Fortunately I was accepted, purely with the courses I have applied for being online there was ultimately no reason for them deny me which is what I kept saying to my self. If they had I would have most likely complained and asked for feedback in to why I was denied. If you are denied then you could go down this route, ask questions and log everything that is said.

Data protection for those with convictions is basically thrown out the window and no longer applies. There are measures which are in law to protect the data of those with convictions, but there are equally just as many loopholes to get around it.

Good luck with your application and try not to let fear, worry and doubt take over.

GO