theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Studying and Disclosure Support- How to progress in life?

Studying and Disclosure Support- How to progress in life?

Author
Petra19
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
My first conviction for common assault and criminal damage, it was a stupid mistake I regret.

I was given a 6-month prison sentence (Suspended) for 2 years.  I posted last year about being nervous the college judging me for my past cautions. Recently the college found out and asked me to declare, I did two weeks ago and now await their reply. At first, my mental health rapidly declined because for the past 3 years I have focused on studying numerous courses with the college passing and then decided to apply for the same course online.

How can those convicted do good in society if many doors close in front of them?

I am in the process of finishing my disclosure statement although when any forms ask for me to declare I get nervous and would like some advice about how increase my confidence? 
Two other application forms asked about my conviction and I pulled away before filling out in fear of discrimination. I am keen to get back on the ladder contributing to society.

I am not sure about employers asking us to disclose our criminal convictions are covered under the data protection act? Do they gossip to random strangers about my conviction? I understand they can talk within their company. 

Sometimes I feel defeated and other times happy, unfortunately, more times not.

Edited
4 Years Ago by Petra19
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Petra19 - 13 Jul 20 2:05 PM
My first conviction for common assault and criminal damage, it was a stupid mistake I regret.

I was given a 6-month prison sentence (Suspended) for 2 years.  I posted last year about being nervous the college judging me for my past cautions. Recently the college found out and asked me to declare, I did two weeks ago and now await their reply. At first, my mental health rapidly declined because for the past 3 years I have focused on studying numerous courses with the college passing and then decided to apply for the same course online.

How can those convicted do good in society if many doors close in front of them?

I am in the process of finishing my disclosure statement although when any forms ask for me to declare I get nervous and would like some advice about how increase my confidence? 
Two other application forms asked about my conviction and I pulled away before filling out in fear of discrimination. I am keen to get back on the ladder contributing to society.

I am not sure about employers asking us to disclose our criminal convictions are covered under the data protection act? Do they gossip to random strangers about my conviction? I understand they can talk within their company. 

In times like these it is best not to think to far ahead, stay in the here and now and focus on the present. I applied for an online uni course a few weeks ago and I also had to show documents to show what my offence was how long my conviction is for and I showed details of my SHPO conditions. I was also a little rattled by having to disclose my conviction but I said to my self NO. I am not going to let this hold me back from trying to move on and rebuild my life. Fortunately I was accepted, purely with the courses I have applied for being online there was ultimately no reason for them deny me which is what I kept saying to my self. If they had I would have most likely complained and asked for feedback in to why I was denied. If you are denied then you could go down this route, ask questions and log everything that is said.

Data protection for those with convictions is basically thrown out the window and no longer applies. There are measures which are in law to protect the data of those with convictions, but there are equally just as many loopholes to get around it.

Good luck with your application and try not to let fear, worry and doubt take over.

Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

xDanx - 13 Jul 20 4:31 PM

In times like these it is best not to think to far ahead, stay in the here and now and focus on the present. I applied for an online uni course a few weeks ago and I also had to show documents to show what my offence was how long my conviction is for and I showed details of my SHPO conditions. I was also a little rattled by having to disclose my conviction but I said to my self NO. I am not going to let this hold me back from trying to move on and rebuild my life. Fortunately I was accepted, purely with the courses I have applied for being online there was ultimately no reason for them deny me which is what I kept saying to my self. If they had I would have most likely complained and asked for feedback in to why I was denied. If you are denied then you could go down this route, ask questions and log everything that is said.

Data protection for those with convictions is basically thrown out the window and no longer applies. There are measures which are in law to protect the data of those with convictions, but there are equally just as many loopholes to get around it.

Good luck with your application and try not to let fear, worry and doubt take over.

Are you still under PO monitoring ?  If so you have to do what they recommend, if not you have a choice ... ... 

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Hola - 13 Jul 20 9:12 PM
xDanx - 13 Jul 20 4:31 PM

Are you still under PO monitoring ?  If so you have to do what they recommend, if not you have a choice ... ... 

If you mean Probation Officer, then no. I am no longer with probation. I have kept my PPU informed as he had to give the uni some information also.

Petra19
Petra19
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Thank you, Dan. I do mindfulness sometimes living in the present and other times become overwhelmed with trying to make it in life. I am feeling increasing comfortable posting on here not being judged like outside if they all knew. I wish I could let my friends know. You being accepted at the open university is fantastic news and I am happy for you because we all deserve to blossom in life. They are good working with those with convictions. I love the company's who practice equal opportunity. When the moment of gloom over bears me I will march ahead reminding myself that the worst outcome is they decline. I read on this forum about employers being friendly towards those with convictions and was sceptical especially reading on here about unfortunately it isn't always the case. I will have to work on overcoming and believe in time things will work out. I will be affirming your last sentence daily and believe it will help me on my journey and want to thank you for a great perspective. SmileI received the new course through a different company today and will be working on shortly. Either way, I can study as a backup plan not worrying about college disregarding me. Thank you so much is appreciated. I am happy having finished writing up a disclosure statement. I made two versions, one for an enhanced check I doubt because I am interested in doing IT and 2 going in-depth about circumstances leading to the conviction on the day. I read it back and think everything could have been avoided if I wasn't offended easily. I practice daily with faith, it helps my focus be positive.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Petra19
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Petra19 - 15 Jul 20 4:43 PM
Thank you, Dan. I do mindfulness sometimes living in the present and other times become overwhelmed with trying to make it in life. I am feeling increasing comfortable posting on here not being judged like outside if they all knew. I wish I could let my friends know. You being accepted at the open university is fantastic news and I am happy for you because we all deserve to blossom in life. They are good working with those with convictions. I love the company's who practice equal opportunity. When the moment of gloom over bears me I will march ahead reminding myself that the worst outcome is they decline. I read on this forum about employers being friendly towards those with convictions and was sceptical especially reading on here about unfortunately it isn't always the case. I will have to work on overcoming and believe in time things will work out. I will be affirming your last sentence daily and believe it will help me on my journey and want to thank you for a great perspective. SmileI received the new course through a different company today and will be working on shortly. Either way, I can study as a backup plan not worrying about college disregarding me. Thank you so much is appreciated. I am happy having finished writing up a disclosure statement. I made two versions, one for an enhanced check I doubt because I am interested in doing IT and 2 going in-depth about circumstances leading to the conviction on the day. I read it back and think everything could have been avoided if I wasn't offended easily. I practice daily with faith, it helps my focus be positive.

Petra,
I applaud your determination to move on and improve the quality of not only your life  but also that of those who support you.
In other posts I have written about a simple diagram; a circle with spokes within it called the wheel of life.
In brief if you think about a wheel, for it to work it has to be fully inflated.
If you get a puncture then one or more areas will flatten due to the pressure on it.
In other words if a part of your emotional or psychological part of your life is not good then no matter if your working life is wonderful it will be affected
When you view it, try to draw it out and place the "outer rim" for each section in a manner that shows your emotional feeling for that label. In other word if you are 100% for the faith then draw the end at the outermost point.

The aim is to hopefully have all the sections at the furthest point so creating an image of an inflated wheel, hence the name.

You mention your faith, which forgive me for assuming you mean a religious faith. The way "faith" is used in this scenario does not have to be that represent just religion it is just a label used to define something you believe in to give you hope for example.

There is also a book by Prof. Paul Gilbert - The Compassionate Mind. I found this an excellent read that is present in a humorous manner that explains a lot about how we as modern humans are affected by our distant past human emotions.

If I can help further please ask. Good luck and all the success.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Attachments
wheelLife-2.pdf (239 views, 17.00 KB)
Petra19
Petra19
Supreme Being

JASB - 16 Jul 20 11:44 AM

Petra,
I applaud your determination to move on and improve the quality of not only your life  but also that of those who support you.
In other posts I have written about a simple diagram; a circle with spokes within it called the wheel of life.
In brief if you think about a wheel, for it to work it has to be fully inflated.
If you get a puncture then one or more areas will flatten due to the pressure on it.
In other words if a part of your emotional or psychological part of your life is not good then no matter if your working life is wonderful it will be affected
When you view it, try to draw it out and place the "outer rim" for each section in a manner that shows your emotional feeling for that label. In other word if you are 100% for the faith then draw the end at the outermost point.

The aim is to hopefully have all the sections at the furthest point so creating an image of an inflated wheel, hence the name.

You mention your faith, which forgive me for assuming you mean a religious faith. The way "faith" is used in this scenario does not have to be that represent just religion it is just a label used to define something you believe in to give you hope for example.

There is also a book by Prof. Paul Gilbert - The Compassionate Mind. I found this an excellent read that is present in a humorous manner that explains a lot about how we as modern humans are affected by our distant past human emotions.

Thank you JASB for being helpful I am open to give things a go. 

I wasn't sure of the reaction is why I said faith. I love God/Jesus. Smile

I will do my best sharing when I can helping others because I love helping others. I love greeting passers-by on the footpath.

Before the course I was low and it's amazing how positive changes dearly impact us. Smile

I went for a walk today and thought to myself life is beautiful while appreciating the sun.

Positive self-talk helps lift my mood.

An update today the college accepted, I am focused with the other course thankfully because I thought the worse. 

Sharing on here helps tremendously

Eddy
Eddy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Hi Petra,

Congratulations on getting accepted! Sounds like the time you put into writing your disclosure statement paid off and that the college judged you based on your present, ongoing conduct as a law abiding student at their faculty.
As you received a 6 month custodial sentence (suspended) your conviction will in due course become spent - drastically reducing the number of instances in which you will have to declare your conviction in the future and as a result more doors should open to you.

I am feeling increasing comfortable posting on here not being judged like outside if they all knew. I wish I could let my friends know.

None of us are here to judge, we are all in the same boat (so to speak) trying to move on with our lives in a law-abiding manner offering each other support along the way. In that regard your friends have already judged you on how you act in the here and now. They don't need to know your whole life story, in the same way that you probably don't know theirs. Your conviction was an isolated incident, a first offence, a one-off so to speak - that doesn't make you a systematically violent person, an unmanageable risk to society or a danger to your friends so please don't be so hard on yourself.

Eddy

Edited
4 Years Ago by Eddy
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Petra19 - 21 Jul 20 10:14 PM
JASB - 16 Jul 20 11:44 AM

Petra,

Thank you JASB for being helpful I am open to give things a go. 

I wasn't sure of the reaction is why I said faith. I love God/Jesus. Smile

I will do my best sharing when I can helping others because I love helping others. I love greeting passers-by on the footpath.

Before the course I was low and it's amazing how positive changes dearly impact us. Smile

I went for a walk today and thought to myself life is beautiful while appreciating the sun.

Positive self-talk helps lift my mood.

An update today the college accepted, I am focused with the other course thankfully because I thought the worse. 

Sharing on here helps tremendously

Hi Petra,

I am lucky that where I live I have coastal paths, beautiful countryside etc to walk - generally I do about 2 hours a day. I go out about 6-6:30 each day and it is a wonderful way to set my attitude for the day up. I used to be a successful long distance runner but a knee accident lead to a replacement knee op so that is another thing gone into the past. The thinking time during these periods is invaluable, be that thinking about my circumstances, my present and future solutions to life's limitations but mainly rejuvenating my psychological state to how lucky it is to be alive and free. 
Remember
though we have " restrictions" we just have to adjust our personal concept of what freedom is and live within that concept.
Know that no one has real freedom as everyone has restrictions be they man, woman or of a higher plane of existence.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Petra19
Petra19
Supreme Being

Eddy - 25 Jul 20 11:54 AM
Hi Petra,

Congratulations on getting accepted! Sounds like the time you put into writing your disclosure statement paid off and that the college judged you based on your present, ongoing conduct as a law abiding student at their faculty.
As you received a 6 month custodial sentence (suspended) your conviction will in due course become spent - drastically reducing the number of instances in which you will have to declare your conviction in the future and as a result more doors should open to you.

I am feeling increasing comfortable posting on here not being judged like outside if they all knew. I wish I could let my friends know.

None of us are here to judge, we are all in the same boat (so to speak) trying to move on with our lives in a law-abiding manner offering each other support along the way. In that regard your friends have already judged you on how you act in the here and now. They don't need to know your whole life story, in the same way that you probably don't know theirs. Your conviction was an isolated incident, a first offence, a one-off so to speak - that doesn't make you a systematically violent person, an unmanageable risk to society or a danger to your friends so please don't be so hard on yourself.

Eddy

Hi Eddy,

The college didn't ask for my disclosure statement and if they did I would have produced. I will do my best moving on in life instead of being hard on myself. 
Thanks for your advice. 

GO