theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Studying and Disclosure Support- How to progress in life?

Studying and Disclosure Support- How to progress in life?

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Petra19 - 31 Jul 20 6:02 PM
Eddy - 25 Jul 20 11:54 AM
Hi Petra,

Congratulations on getting accepted! Sounds like the time you put into writing your disclosure statement paid off and that the college judged you based on your present, ongoing conduct as a law abiding student at their faculty.
As you received a 6 month custodial sentence (suspended) your conviction will in due course become spent - drastically reducing the number of instances in which you will have to declare your conviction in the future and as a result more doors should open to you.

Petra19 - 15 Jul 20 4:43 PM
I am feeling increasing comfortable posting on here not being judged like outside if they all knew. I wish I could let my friends know.

None of us are here to judge, we are all in the same boat (so to speak) trying to move on with our lives in a law-abiding manner offering each other support along the way. In that regard your friends have already judged you on how you act in the here and now. They don't need to know your whole life story, in the same way that you probably don't know theirs. Your conviction was an isolated incident, a first offence, a one-off so to speak - that doesn't make you a systematically violent person, an unmanageable risk to society or a danger to your friends so please don't be so hard on yourself.

Eddy

Hi Eddy,

The college didn't ask for my disclosure statement and if they did I would have produced. I will do my best moving on in life instead of being hard on myself. 
Thanks for your advice. 

I will do my best moving on in life instead of being hard on myself.

That is a positive no one can take away from you but others can learn from.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Alan Watts
Alan Watts
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)Supreme Being (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Petra19 - 13 Jul 20 2:05 PM
My first conviction for common assault and criminal damage, it was a stupid mistake I regret.

I was given a 6-month prison sentence (Suspended) for 2 years.  I posted last year about being nervous the college judging me for my past cautions. Recently the college found out and asked me to declare, I did two weeks ago and now await their reply. At first, my mental health rapidly declined because for the past 3 years I have focused on studying numerous courses with the college passing and then decided to apply for the same course online.

How can those convicted do good in society if many doors close in front of them?

I am in the process of finishing my disclosure statement although when any forms ask for me to declare I get nervous and would like some advice about how increase my confidence? 
Two other application forms asked about my conviction and I pulled away before filling out in fear of discrimination. I am keen to get back on the ladder contributing to society.

I am not sure about employers asking us to disclose our criminal convictions are covered under the data protection act? Do they gossip to random strangers about my conviction? I understand they can talk within their company. 

Sometimes I feel defeated and other times happy, unfortunately, more times not.

My situation is similar to yours except my "offence" (trolling someone on Facebook who wouldn't leave me alone) occured shortly after I had finished 6 years of uni and college studying engineering to masters degree level.

I had two engineering jobs instantly after finishing uni so I was working for 16 months but I eventually lost my final job in January 2018 and I have been on the dole since then. I have applied to over 100 jobs in that time (just to keep getting free money) but to be honest the offence has changed the way I see life. I no longer feel guilty for getting the dole. Why should I bother to contribute to a country which didn't hesitate to screw me over at the first chance? One that punishes those that try and rewards those that don't? I tried my hardest to fight the unfair prosecution of my offence for years but didn't get anywhere so it was time to accept that and make a promise to myself that I would not contribute back to the country and that I would focus on making myself happy. Obviously there is a lot more to it than this, there is the ridiculously competitive entry level jobs for graduates and the prospect of paying the massive student loan back if I did work for example. I was diagnosed with autism during my court case and this means that I couldn't really cope with having a criminal record while working for a few reasons (the people at my last work used to always joke about CRB checks and people with convictions and my heart went crazy).

Since then I have been exploring self-employed methods to make money online rather than doing what the crowd does and I am hoping to try and become self-sufficient doing this. I would say that having a record won't prevent you from doing your career if you really want it but there's always self-employed options or something else if it doesn't work out. 

Unfortunately this is what the country has given me, they have spent six-figures on my education and then six-figures on my unfair prosecution. I reacted with the path of least resistance and the best value which is not to continue working as an engineer.
Petra19
Petra19
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Hi everyone here, 

It has been a challenging time, especially with circumstances. 
I decided to educate my way through the rehabilitation period removing disappointment. 
When I posted I was in despair and now feel better inside of myself, facing hurdles when they occur.
I think during such times the discrimination against those with convictions is increasing.

What are others thoughts about the matter?

Petra19
Petra19
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

alexh07 - 19 Aug 20 4:14 AM
Petra19 - 13 Jul 20 2:05 PM
My first conviction for common assault and criminal damage, it was a stupid mistake I regret.

I was given a 6-month prison sentence (Suspended) for 2 years.  I posted last year about being nervous the college judging me for my past cautions. Recently the college found out and asked me to declare, I did two weeks ago and now await their reply. At first, my mental health rapidly declined because for the past 3 years I have focused on studying numerous courses with the college passing and then decided to apply for the same course online.

How can those convicted do good in society if many doors close in front of them?

I am in the process of finishing my disclosure statement although when any forms ask for me to declare I get nervous and would like some advice about how increase my confidence? 
Two other application forms asked about my conviction and I pulled away before filling out in fear of discrimination. I am keen to get back on the ladder contributing to society.

I am not sure about employers asking us to disclose our criminal convictions are covered under the data protection act? Do they gossip to random strangers about my conviction? I understand they can talk within their company. 

Sometimes I feel defeated and other times happy, unfortunately, more times not.

My situation is similar to yours except my "offence" (trolling someone on Facebook who wouldn't leave me alone) occured shortly after I had finished 6 years of uni and college studying engineering to masters degree level.

I had two engineering jobs instantly after finishing uni so I was working for 16 months but I eventually lost my final job in January 2018 and I have been on the dole since then. I have applied to over 100 jobs in that time (just to keep getting free money) but to be honest the offence has changed the way I see life. I no longer feel guilty for getting the dole. Why should I bother to contribute to a country which didn't hesitate to screw me over at the first chance? One that punishes those that try and rewards those that don't? I tried my hardest to fight the unfair prosecution of my offence for years but didn't get anywhere so it was time to accept that and make a promise to myself that I would not contribute back to the country and that I would focus on making myself happy. Obviously there is a lot more to it than this, there is the ridiculously competitive entry level jobs for graduates and the prospect of paying the massive student loan back if I did work for example. I was diagnosed with autism during my court case and this means that I couldn't really cope with having a criminal record while working for a few reasons (the people at my last work used to always joke about CRB checks and people with convictions and my heart went crazy).

Since then I have been exploring self-employed methods to make money online rather than doing what the crowd does and I am hoping to try and become self-sufficient doing this. I would say that having a record won't prevent you from doing your career if you really want it but there's always self-employed options or something else if it doesn't work out. 

Unfortunately this is what the country has given me, they have spent six-figures on my education and then six-figures on my unfair prosecution. I reacted with the path of least resistance and the best value which is not to continue working as an engineer.

I take it a day at a time things will get better for you following your dream. I didn't like how I was treated in the legal system either. Thank you for the tips.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Petra19 - 8 Oct 20 5:21 PM
Hi everyone here, 

It has been a challenging time, especially with circumstances. 
I decided to educate my way through the rehabilitation period removing disappointment. 
When I posted I was in despair and now feel better inside of myself, facing hurdles when they occur.
I think during such times the discrimination against those with convictions is increasing.

What are others thoughts about the matter?

Hi Petra,

It is welcoming in this current times to read positive news.
As you will of read my thoughts on self belief improving an individuals quality of life in my posts; however you have to remember the positive human being feels some doubt at times. This is a normal human feeling and the method you develop to re-motivate or rejuvenate your wellbeing will do more than put a smile back. It will provide confidence when facing any and all challengers live will bring you. Yes knowing challengers are forthcoming is not something to be afraid of. It is similar to any sports person who has a desire to become the best they can, they know others will doubt them, they know others will try to use psychology to change your focus, they know they will try to divert your supporters from you.
These "tactics of discouragement and humiliation"  will not work as you are an individual who can and has recognised their "human faults", and will not be distracted from controlling or infact removing them from their character.  

Remember, there is no truth as it is only an individual's perspective of a subject

Your perspective is gained from the evidence of your own eyes which is something others cannot see

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO