theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

SHPO - devices that can connect to the internet

SHPO - devices that can connect to the internet

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Do these systems get used on everyone or just dependant on offence?

My offence was not related to images and I’ve never had any software mentioned to me.

I’m managed by the neighbourhood team so not even sure how much training they receive.

My laptop seems to get less attention than my mobile.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Mark15788 - 29 Aug 20 10:52 AM
Do these systems get used on everyone or just dependant on offence? My offence was not related to images and I’ve never had any software mentioned to me.I’m managed by the neighbourhood team so not even sure how much training they receive. My laptop seems to get less attention than my mobile.

I guess if they are not IT trained, they won't have access to the software. As for being offence related, I suppose it partly depends on that, partly on what your SHPO says you are not allowed to do and partly on the police's own level of concern about your risk.

Their biggest worry will be indications of the SHPO being breached, but they could also be fishing for clues as to any other offences that might have been committed.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Thanks for that.

I’m all new to this side of stuff, even though I’m almost over the halfway point of a 5 year SHPO.

I don’t even know much about my risk level, but I believe here the neighbourhood teams here are only managing low risk so I must be assessed as that.

I’ve never breached and they are always saying I’m doing great.

So was just very curious how different peoples experiences were.
J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Mark15788 - 29 Aug 20 5:37 PM
Thanks for that. I’m all new to this side of stuff, even though I’m almost over the halfway point of a 5 year SHPO. I don’t even know much about my risk level, but I believe here the neighbourhood teams here are only managing low risk so I must be assessed as that. I’ve never breached and they are always saying I’m doing great. So was just very curious how different peoples experiences were.

I'm the same just under a year to go. 
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Nearly at the half way point you mean?
Neal
Neal
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)Supreme Being (432 reputation)

Was - 20 Aug 20 3:13 PM
Mark15788 - 20 Aug 20 2:40 PM
I’m not new to it no, my community order is now complete, I’m nearly 3 years In so fast approaching 2 years left on SOR and SHPO. Was just interested in the TV situation. Why would you need to take every new device to the police station? I’ve always just went the same day as delivery with the information I need and got a written confirmation from them. Hardly going to take a new TV in there to be fair.

It is the capriciousness of the whole process that is worrying.

I bought a new laptop, installed Windows (and nothing else) and within hours of it arriving, well within the 3 days notification period, informed my PPO and asked when they wanted me to bring it in to have the monitoring software installed. She told me I was in breach of my order and they could confiscate it. This is not true, they would need a court order to "confiscate" it, but, in my understanding they could arrest me, wait for their behaviour to be chucked out in court with no legal comeback and seize it for "examination" which could take several years. 

My next laptop I took in the box straight from Argos to the police station and asked them to set it up themselves, which to be fair they did. 

As others have said, they only seem interested in computers, when anyone with an inkling of the Internet of Things knows to be foolish if there is someone who really wants to continue committing offences. But protect yourself. Who knows if your PPO suddenly wants to pad their stats because they are getting near their appraisal?

Hi it is interesting how varied the actions of the PPO are across the country, I have been in three police areas, the first where I was sentenced and received my SOPO were very poor giving me an indefinite SOPO and restrictions not allowed for a internet only offence. However in the other two areas the PPO have been very pleasant inspecting my phone on one visit. Why is there such a difference across the country, do you really think they are trying to look good at appraisal time.?

Neil
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

do you really think they are trying to look good at appraisal time.?

If you are asking my opinion, rather than on the basis of cold hard facts. Yes. Yes I do. I have previously been involved in interfacing with the police (although not in the area of PPUs) and forces are so target driven that it is inevitable. Preventing an offence is notoriously hard to quantify and document and it looks exactly like doing nothing, but an arrest looks like they are doing something (whether or not it is justified) and which they can publicise, Each month I'd get presented with lovely charts of their activities, most of which had little effect on reducing crime. 

In the area of SHPO's the wording is usually so open to interpretation that a non-intent to offend easily becomes a gotcha, so you are at the mercy of individual officers rather than official policy, and the hugely divergent behaviours documented here show this to be the case. I don't think some of them can help themselves. The only slack I'll give them is that they only have to make one mistake and it's all over the papers.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)Supreme Being (54K reputation)

Was - 1 Sep 20 11:19 AM

do you really think they are trying to look good at appraisal time.?

If you are asking my opinion, rather than on the basis of cold hard facts. Yes. Yes I do. I have previously been involved in interfacing with the police (although not in the area of PPUs) and forces are so target driven that it is inevitable. Preventing an offence is notoriously hard to quantify and document and it looks exactly like doing nothing, but an arrest looks like they are doing something (whether or not it is justified) and which they can publicise, Each month I'd get presented with lovely charts of their activities, most of which had little effect on reducing crime. 

In the area of SHPO's the wording is usually so open to interpretation that a non-intent to offend easily becomes a gotcha, so you are at the mercy of individual officers rather than official policy, and the hugely divergent behaviours documented here show this to be the case. I don't think some of them can help themselves. The only slack I'll give them is that they only have to make one mistake and it's all over the papers.

Although policing in general is all about catching and arresting people, I don't think that the PPUs are measured in the same manner. Their job is to prevent reoffending, by people who have already been caught. If a PPU officer were arresting more people, that would indicate a failure on their part, to prevent reoffending, which would arguably look bad for them. Whether they realise it or not, the PPU are employed to work with ex-offenders, to help those people manage their own risks.

Things that PPU are measured on, include the number of outstanding visits. Because of huge numbers on the register and big cuts to police numbers, most forces have built up a backlog of overdue visits. Reducing that backlog is now a priority for PPU teams and that is what will look good for them, at appraisal time.

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)Supreme Being (96K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mark15788 - 29 Aug 20 10:52 AM
Do these systems get used on everyone or just dependant on offence? My offence was not related to images and I’ve never had any software mentioned to me.I’m managed by the neighbourhood team so not even sure how much training they receive. My laptop seems to get less attention than my mobile.

Hi

As others say it is amazing the attitude / intruputation of the PPU to defined processes.

The last of my visits - end of last year- the accompanying officer who looks at my mobile and laptop (even though I have not any IT/internet etc offences) shows concern because of my "admin" habits built over 30 odd years as an IT consultant. 
I always clear my history on all devices including old messages and calls on my mobile for both security and operating purposes. However he is not happy and always drops a few words to see my reaction; which I ignore unless asked a direct question.
They have asked to do a software based check on my laptop and not to delete my history which after gaining a statement that they agree I do not have a legal requirement to do so, it is a one off and as a nicety statement "they promise they are not trying to catch me out". I agreed but also asked why do it then but gained no reply.

I say this not to humiliate the PPU who I believe have a horrendous role,  but really just to point out that their actions can give an air of positivity. In that they must have no other concerns so going to the extremes of searching OR their search of my laptop will show my behaviour to be better than the social normality and go on to support my case to have my SOPO/SOR discharged. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO