theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

SHPO - devices that can connect to the internet

SHPO - devices that can connect to the internet

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Morning everyone,

One of my SHPO conditions is to report to the police any new devices with the capability of connecting to the internet within 3 days of purchase.

That’s fine and always adhered to it.

I’m not tech savvy so here’s my question.

I have a very old style big bulky TV, I want a new one.

I know if I get a smart TV that would need to be reported, right?

What about a non smart TV? The spec says it has a Ethernet connection, does that mean it’s capable of connecting to the internet and therefore I’d need to report?

I’d rather be safe than sorry and just planning ahead.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Mark15788 - 19 Aug 20 11:26 AM
Morning everyone,

One of my SHPO conditions is to report to the police any new devices with the capability of connecting to the internet within 3 days of purchase.

What about a non smart TV? The spec says it has a Ethernet connection, does that mean it’s capable of connecting to the internet and therefore I’d need to report?

Yes. Even non-Smart TVs come with an internet link nowadays This is usually to provide Freeview Play services.

I've reported everything I have with an Ethernet or WiFi connection. An easy arrest is still an arrest for their stats.
khafka
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

My TV can connect via Wifi or with an ethernet cable.

I did let them know but they said it wasn't all that important but made a note of it anyway.

I'd suggest just let them know. Worst case scenario is they don't need to know about it, best case is it covers you if anything happens.

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

khafka - 19 Aug 20 12:16 PM
I did let them know but they said it wasn't all that important but made a note of it anyway.

Importance is PPO dependent. I registered a broken phone, my laser printer, my Personal Video Recorder etc. mainly so that there is an audit trail if it should somehow become of interest. 

Where there does appear to be, what I would call, project creep is that disposal of equipment is not covered in my order, yet I was told by my previous PPO that I couldn't get rid of anything. I don't think this is legally true, but when I decommissioned a very old broken laptop, I kept the drive just in case they tried to use the "able to inspect storage devices" clause. I had a break-in a year ago and my previous main laptop was stolen. They didn't seem to give a damn about that.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Thanks.

In terms of getting rid of stuff. When I had my phone contract up for renewal I contacted them and they came and did an inspection of the phone before I recycled it.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Morning everyone,

Hi

as you will of seen by other posts,  reaction and understanding by the authorities to conditions imposed are different according to:
  1. Area you live in or move from and to;
  2. Your supervisors, how long they have known you and so the relationship is important.
In other words expect the conditions to have "creeping" in their interpretation so always ensure you are protected. have documentation of your reporting and especially their responsences. Someone who you have known for a long time may say you comply in a certain manner. When you are transferred to another officer you then have hard evidence to support you; however the new officer may say he works differently so expect that and accept that.

Your quality of life is limited by others. You can only work to increase that by maintaining full compliance and constructive questioning when you are unsure in the knowledge it will get better.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Teaspoon
Teaspoon
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)Supreme Being (1.4K reputation)

Morning everyone,

Similar to what others have said here: I told them about my TV and PS4 etc. They said they weren't too bothered about things like that, but did make a note of it. I think it's important that you inform them, just so you're covered in future. If you're like me, there's no reason you'd want to use the browser on your TV anyway, when it's far easier to use your phone or laptop. And they're really not going to be interested in what you've been streaming on Netflix. The same is true of my PS4 - they've never shown any interest in it. They possibly might if I played online gaming with others, but they know that I don't. 

In terms of them inspecting items, I haven't had too much trouble with this. They've only looked my phone and laptop twice in 2 years. Literally, just scanned the previous internet browser history and said it was fine; it only took about 20 seconds. Needless to say, this will vary according to the PPU officer in question. But so far, I've had no problems and it's been quite a discreet process. 

I get the impression you're quite new with this process? If so, I'd say you're going to have a lot of spare time, so buy a decent TV. I bought a nice 50" one last year and it's kept me thoroughly entertained with films and games : )

Good luck, 

Teaspoon
J J
J J
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)Supreme Being (15K reputation)

Be very careful when you register devices, here's how I go about it.

1 - Order item via amazon / pc company where i get an invoice electronically and shipping notification. 
2 - Forward the above on to your offender manager
3 - When the device arrives take it UNBOXED to the police station
4 - unbox it and allow them to do whatever
5 - When you get home, make a note on an excel spreadsheet of the make, model, serial number, MAC addresses, and if applicable any hard drive model / serial number.
6 - Forward the above on to your offender manager

I have an upheld complaint against Greater Manchester Police
Complaint 1 - Failure to record a smart phone; they told me that I hadn't notified them about a smartphone. The ICO and the evidence from above said otherwise
Complaint 2 - Failure to register a camera; They breached me for having a camera as my shpo said I couldn't have one. They later read my SHPO and said I can have a camera but I should have told them. I was remanded at the time, and pointed out that there was no storage capacity in the camera. They dropped the charge. On my release I placed a formal complaint stating I had informed them. The ICO upheld this complaint too.

Lessons learnt.

1 - Ensure that you dont just have the paper from the recording, this is faxed over to the PPU and is easily "lost". EMAIL anything thats relevant through to your OM, eg flight tickets, booking paperwork, travel plans.
2 - PRINT a copy out and keep it to hand. Remember that if you're arrested your solicitor or close friend / family member might not be able to get at any records. Keep a printed copy of ANYTHING that might come in handy, and keep it in a safe ACCESSIBLE place
3 - Keep photos of anything registered and have these to hand.
4 - Keep a PRINTED device list with make, model, serial number, hard drive serial, MAC address, invoices/delivery notes and police paperwork
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

I’m not new to it no, my community order is now complete, I’m nearly 3 years In so fast approaching 2 years left on SOR and SHPO. Was just interested in the TV situation.

Why would you need to take every new device to the police station? I’ve always just went the same day as delivery with the information I need and got a written confirmation from them. Hardly going to take a new TV in there to be fair.
Was
Was
Supreme Being

Mark15788 - 20 Aug 20 2:40 PM
I’m not new to it no, my community order is now complete, I’m nearly 3 years In so fast approaching 2 years left on SOR and SHPO. Was just interested in the TV situation. Why would you need to take every new device to the police station? I’ve always just went the same day as delivery with the information I need and got a written confirmation from them. Hardly going to take a new TV in there to be fair.

It is the capriciousness of the whole process that is worrying.

I bought a new laptop, installed Windows (and nothing else) and within hours of it arriving, well within the 3 days notification period, informed my PPO and asked when they wanted me to bring it in to have the monitoring software installed. She told me I was in breach of my order and they could confiscate it. This is not true, they would need a court order to "confiscate" it, but, in my understanding they could arrest me, wait for their behaviour to be chucked out in court with no legal comeback and seize it for "examination" which could take several years. 

My next laptop I took in the box straight from Argos to the police station and asked them to set it up themselves, which to be fair they did. 

As others have said, they only seem interested in computers, when anyone with an inkling of the Internet of Things knows to be foolish if there is someone who really wants to continue committing offences. But protect yourself. Who knows if your PPO suddenly wants to pad their stats because they are getting near their appraisal?
GO