theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling to the EU post Brexit

Travelling to the EU post Brexit

Author
khafka
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)Supreme Being (32K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'm curious how this would work for me. I never got a custodial sentence but instead got a community order and 3 years on the register.

My parents left the UK for sunnier climates in the EU a few years back and have offered plenty of times for me to go out and see them. My PPU seems happy enough for that to happen, as long as I let him know when I'm planning on leaving/coming back etc.

I was looking maybe doing it next year.

Ian
Ian
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)Supreme Being (553 reputation)

marcovanba - 22 Oct 20 7:12 AM

Seriously, what a mess.

My conviction is spent on February 26th 2021, following a 2 year suspended sentence conviction.

Who knows if I will be able to travel to Europe in the foreseeable. (Covid permitting)

From the BBC

Many more EU citizens with criminal records will be barred from entering the UK from January, the Home Office has said.

People sentenced to more than a year in prison will be turned away, in line with other foreign nationals.

Previously, officials had to show EU offenders presented a serious threat.

But there are concerns a no-deal Brexit could make it harder to identify foreign criminals, BBC home editor Mark Easton said.

With the UK in a transition period since it formally left the EU in January, an EU citizen can currently only be refused entry if they present a genuine, present and serious threat.

Regulations being laid in Parliament on Thursday set out the new rules for when the transition period ends, which treat EU and non-EU citizens the same.

The new rules mean from 1 January:

• Any EU citizen sentenced to at least a year in prison will be barred
  • EU citizens who have committed any criminal offence in the past year could also be barred
  • EU citizens could also be banned if they were sentenced to less than a year in jail, with officials reviewing their full criminal history and links to the UK
  • Offenders who have not served a prison sentence could still be barred if there is evidence they are "persistent" criminals, they cause "serious harm" or their presence in the UK is not "conducive to the public good"

People involved in a sham marriage could be banned from entry, and anyone breaching customs regulations could also be turned away.

This is something I have been worrying about for some time now too. I also received a 2 year suspended sentence but it wont be spent until 2025, and even then I may be barred from travelling.
Desperately need some clarity.

marcovanba
marcovanba
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)Supreme Being (3.7K reputation)

Seriously, what a mess.

My conviction is spent on February 26th 2021, following a 2 year suspended sentence conviction.

Who knows if I will be able to travel to Europe in the foreseeable. (Covid permitting)

From the BBC

Many more EU citizens with criminal records will be barred from entering the UK from January, the Home Office has said.

People sentenced to more than a year in prison will be turned away, in line with other foreign nationals.

Previously, officials had to show EU offenders presented a serious threat.

But there are concerns a no-deal Brexit could make it harder to identify foreign criminals, BBC home editor Mark Easton said.

With the UK in a transition period since it formally left the EU in January, an EU citizen can currently only be refused entry if they present a genuine, present and serious threat.

Regulations being laid in Parliament on Thursday set out the new rules for when the transition period ends, which treat EU and non-EU citizens the same.

The new rules mean from 1 January:

• Any EU citizen sentenced to at least a year in prison will be barred
  • EU citizens who have committed any criminal offence in the past year could also be barred
  • EU citizens could also be banned if they were sentenced to less than a year in jail, with officials reviewing their full criminal history and links to the UK
  • Offenders who have not served a prison sentence could still be barred if there is evidence they are "persistent" criminals, they cause "serious harm" or their presence in the UK is not "conducive to the public good"

People involved in a sham marriage could be banned from entry, and anyone breaching customs regulations could also be turned away.

GO