theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Banned by the FA

Banned by the FA

Author
13TG
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)Supreme Being (164 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I received a suspended sentence in July for sexual activity with a minor (a single incident with no penetration). The FA have decided to ban me from all football, including playing. I have no intention of coaching, being a captain or anything else and will be playing towards the bottom of grass roots football.

Does anyone have any experience of bans by sports bodies? 

They seem to want to cover themselves rather than protect the community

The judge in my case stated in court that my playing sport was a vital part of my rehab - but the FA just want to block me

Any advice?
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
13TG - 23 Nov 20 1:35 PM
I received a suspended sentence in July for sexual activity with a minor (a single incident with no penetration). The FA have decided to ban me from all football, including playing. I have no intention of coaching, being a captain or anything else and will be playing towards the bottom of grass roots football.

The judge in my case stated in court that my playing sport was a vital part of my rehab - but the FA just want to block me

Any advice?

Hi

I wish I could offer legal but I can only offer support by being here to listen.
I am not asking for details but i assume this was reported to them by some "official".
In my opinion, if we look at the bigger picture; given recent events in football, they just see an adult and a minor, a sexual offence (as you was convicted) and are protecting the image of the F.A. against accusations by others who have a louder voice than you.

I am not saying just accept their actions but just be open to the consequences of a highly emotional stand against them. Calmly look at your options in a cold and calculated manner. Think of what further damage could be given to you and not just hope to revitalise a dream to play at a higher level.
Depending on your football skills and aspirations; what would be the reasons for highlighting the incident again to the media. The F.A. can afford better lawyers than you and costs could be high, you have been convicted so not much is going for you, sorry.

Personally I would concentrate on the other qualities, skills and experiences you have to redefine your future life; try to image you have stopped playing for another reason so change these emotional negative aspects to a positive perception for your future.

It's your decision but there will always be individuals here to listen and support as part of their dream to stop any one re-offending or against injustice. 

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

to be honest, if you're at low grass roots I bet your name wouldn't register on their radar ...
I'd just carry on / take the risk or you could say it's some-one with the same name
personally i wouldn't worry about it

Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Presumably it is football at a level that is administered by the FA. I've played on Hackney Marshes and official sanction to play has never been a requirement, even if the ref was affiliated. 

Without getting too deep into it, there are presumably specific clauses to the ban. Graham Rix was banned from working with under-16s, but after a ban he continued in football management, albeit at a lower tier. Doesn't seem like an EHRC case is worth the hassle, but professional advice would seem to be reasonable if you really want to continue in the game at some level.
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)Supreme Being (58K reputation)

13TG - 23 Nov 20 1:35 PM

Any advice?

Football, cricket and rugby all have a similar approach to safeguarding.

Firstly, there is 'regulated activity' such as coaching children that needs an Enhanced DBS and checks against the Children's barred list.  From your information, I assume you are on that list so cannot perform any 'regulated activity' at the football club.

Then there are 'eligible roles' that require a DBS check - manager, coach, chairman, selectors, umpires, referees etc

Playing sport is not a regulated activity. Player is not an eligible role.

Based on the information you have provided, I'm not aware of any FA regulations that would ban you. However, if you have any form of SOPO or restrictive orders from the court that might be the reason.

If not, I would read the FA's safeguarding policies in depth and challenge any notice they have given you. If you're not confident doing it yourself, get a solicitor (or a legal advice centre) to help.

GO