theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Housing Dilema Please Help

Housing Dilema Please Help

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Yeah
Edited
3 Years Ago by Mark15788
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

The reason I asked was because what happened is I committed my offence in May 2017 and I ended up in temp lodgings until later that year, I found a 1 bedroom flat with a housing association. I then had to supply references and agree to a basic DBS. That came back clear because I hadn’t been convicted. 
I was then convicted April 2018 & sentenced May 2018. 

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Tenancy says nothing about reporting a conviction and police decided they didn’t need to disclose. 
I’m not sure what info/or criteria they use to decide they didn’t need to disclose but there’s no conditions in SHPO regarding areas I can live in or things I can’t be near to, and the fact there’s a primary school just down from me didn’t prompt them to decide it was unsuitable and go and disclose to housing association. 
So it got me thinking, what would prompt the police to try and block a particular property and would the housing association just transfer my tenancy to the new property they give me without up to date checks or would they require me to agree again. 
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)

What my solicitor basically said to me was that if I notified the ppu that I was intending to move they may become interested in knowing properties I’m interested in for example I find the perfect flat the ppu checks the area for other offenders, schools and the like and comes back and says the property is not appropriate if I move it seems to the ppu I’m not listening to him if I don’t I’ve lost the flat. There’s no legal requirement for them to do this unless there a shpo condition but we all know what they are like. I’m dreading ever having to move from my place
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)Supreme Being (6.3K reputation)

As far as referencing goes that’s to see what type of tenant you are your currently a tenant with them so they know what type of tenant you are so there shouldn’t be any reason for them to be checking again
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Think I’m just going to have to see what properties they offer me . And take it from there.
I was advised to register on the local home finder too but I know they ask about convictions and think they’ll just reject me straight away.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

After enquiries it looks like my current housing association advertise through home finder so I don’t think I’ll try register because it asks for current landlord on app form and once they see I have a unspent conviction they could refuse my app but also could check with current landlord if they were aware.

Good news is, housing association have offered a £6,500 home loss compensation payment and reasonable reimbursement of removal expenses.

Just in the hands of their allocation team now.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Wanted to update. I was worrying too much. In the end the HA offered me a viewing of a property, I actually love it, and no forms or checks, they do what’s called a managed transfer.
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being

Good to hear plus you’ve got your £6.5k to enjoy every cloud definitely has a silver lining. Do you think the new apartment is better than your old one?
GO