theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Housing Dilema Please Help

Housing Dilema Please Help

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Just had a call from my landlord a housing association that they are demolishing my building. 

They have said they will work with me to find a new property. 

My concern is the police made the decision not to inform my landlord about my sexual offence, will they do a up to date DBS and therefore ot will be revealed?

Do I need to work with the police when I look for a new property with the housing association? I'm worried if I choose somewhere they deem inappropriate they will go and disclose to people.

I'm actually scared of been homeless now. 
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)

What type of tenancy do you have?
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

It’s an assured tenancy.

I checked it too once I was convicted and there’s nothing in to say I had to inform them.

I’m probs over thinking it and hopefully they will just let me view properties when they arise and if I like one they will offer me it and transfer the tenancy across without need a up to date DBS.
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)Supreme Being (6.2K reputation)

Because your on a assured tenancy you have a lot of protection. Your best bet is definitely trying to make sure you stay with the same housing association so you can just transfer you assured tenancy over and try staying away from the councils list of other properties as they would probably put you on a temporary period for the start and that would offer you less protection if they found out about your conviction.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

I think that’s what I’ll aim for.

They said that the people who live in the block of flats would get first priority to suitable properties. Plus there’s no timescale to demolish, so it sounds like they want to work with us.

I already seen two properties they had advertised so my housing officer is getting allocations team to contact me.

Just hit to talk to PPU now.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

I thought it was only employers who could ask for a DBS check? There are times you have to say when asked (like insurance), but you don't have to offer the information.
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being

As far as telling your ppu goes when I was convicted I was thinking of moving my solicitor told me to tell them after I had moved as there no requirement to tell them before you move. The reason being if the ppu says the property your looking at is in appropriate and you go ahead they will think you aren’t listing to them and they can try all sorts to stop you moving where as if you’ve told them once you’ve moved there not much they can do. Telling them before you move is probably going to increase the chance of them contacting your housing officer to make sure any new property is appropriate.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

They can’t exactly stop me moving, they have no choice, the building is been pulled down.

Either way, they have to let me move somewhere. Or will they prefer to have me on the streets?

I still have to get over the hurdle of seeing whether the move will prompt them on wanting an up to date DBS.

I was thinking of emailing the housing officer and asking whether our assured tenancies just get transferred with us and that will they require up to date references and checks? But thought asking the question might prompt them to think I have something I don’t want them to know.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

Why do you think you require a DBS check? They are not an employer. They can ask you, which you have to reply truthfully to if they do, but I don't think they have a right to request a DBS check. Don't offer more information than is required.
Blueman202
Blueman202
Supreme Being

When I said stop you moving I ment it in the sense of stopping you moving to a property they don’t deem fit instead of stopping you leaving your current property. When I spoke to my soclictor about moving she said there are lots of things they would bring up as reasons for a place being appropriate to move to. I’m on the same page as WAS I don’t think they can do a DBS check on you they may ask if you have any unspent convictions but as your already a tenant it seems unlikely. If you want to email your housing officer with out raising red flags ask about right to acquire and will the assured tenancy be transferred over I’m sure that way they aren’t going to be doing much digging.
GO