theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

New user

New user

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Couple of points -

Talking therapies - I have used this service in my area a few times and even quite recently and they have always been fantastic. 

Disclosure - Yes only disclose IF asked. 

Check out the ban the box list of employers and see if any of those are recruiting in your area. 
xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)Supreme Being (24K reputation)

First of all, Welcome to the forum TheNomad. I can also relate to how much harder it is getting work with a conviction. I also recently tried to apply for voluntary work which I was instantly rejected when I disclosed. What is interesting though is I was never asked about convictions. Have all the roles you have applied for required disclosing of convictions or have you chose to disclose? Despite what Probation ( who are useless ) and Police say, the general rule is you only disclose IF asked.
I can also relate to how depressing all this can be, keep your head up and keep trying. You are not alone.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

I can also relate.
If you can... try and sell your skills online.
The UK seems to moving towards a gig economy anyway, so might as well get a head start. (There was an interesting tv show on channel 4 not so long ago about it.)
A negative is that the pay v time spent can quite often be horrendous.
The big plus is no DBS checks, people just pay people to get stuff done and there’s sometimes the potential of continuing work if you do a good job for that client. Good luck.
And please consider talking therapies, they’re more helpful than you might think and know that you’re not alone.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
Edited
3 Years Ago by Mr W
TheNomad
TheNomad
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)

Hi Mark
Thanks for replying, I replied earlier, however the website keeps throwing up errors when I try to post.
I've applied for roughy 800 posts, not a single reply. So I thought I will volunteer for a couple of local charities, again, not interested (but of course, happy to take a monetary donation..). During covid, I've taken up online courses updating skills and so forth.
It's frustrating/depressing we are in a Country where society on speech, will give second chances but realistically we are cast aside.
I have no idea what to do. I needed to sell my house and move in with family (not a bad thing, as now I have no mortgage!).
I'm glad I found unlock, probation was a joke, they couldn't be bothered to tell me my time was up with them.

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Sorry to hear that is the way you are feeling.

I can personally sympathise with the job front.

TheNomad
TheNomad
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)Supreme Being (822 reputation)

Hi everyone, I was put inside in 2016, came out in early 2017 for "fraud" that I deny. Living in Liverpool and trying to gain employment ever since.

It's difficult. I just want to work, no one wants me though, depressed.
GO