theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Some housing questions.

Some housing questions.

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi I have an S.O for images and a couple of questions.

1. There is a chance I might be able to rent or pay a mortgage for my sister's old house in the future.

Would there be any potential problems with a background check/disclosure etc with this?

2. If I was ever lucky enough to have enough money to buy a house on the market outright would there be any similar problems here?

Thanks.

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Part 1
Morning James in answer to your questions it will all come down to if your conviction is spent or unspent, if spent there is no issues 
1) If you are renting then how are you doing this, if renting direct from a family member like your sister then i doubt the issue of your conviction will come up directly, but from her perspective if she requires commercial landlord insurance for the property then a question they could ask is does any one that she is renting to have an unspent conviction for which she would have to disclose. If you are renting from an estate agent most now seem to ask about unspent convictions and some even do a basic DBS check 

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Part 2
2) If buying a property out right then it does not matter if the conviction is spent or unspent you do not need to disclose it, you might find that when looking at contents and building insurance the question is asked as if unspent might need to use an insurance broker. If you are using a mortgage then you will find that they will ask the conviction question and there are not many lenders out there that will lend to a person with an unspent conviction 

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)Supreme Being (6.9K reputation)

Thanks for the reply Simon
GO