theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Another job offer - civil service - but will it go alright?

Another job offer - civil service - but will it go alright?

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Simon - thanks.
I think I understood where his confusion came from. He was thinking because they take on apprentices too aged 16 or above, that it automatically meant it was regulated activity for an adult to work with anyone under 18. I pointed out that, yes 16/17 would be classed as a child, but it still doesn’t relate to any of the activities listed under regulated activity with a child. It’s no different to say a 20yo adult working in Tesco where a 16yo child could work too but they wouldn’t get barred lists checks done. Am I right in my explanation?
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

No worries good luck 
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)Supreme Being (26K reputation)

I think his logic was, if a child rang up for some reason that’s “contact” but in my view there’s going to be no reason why a child would ring HMRC and as pointed out if it happened, that’s still no relevance to regulated activities with children. Thanks for the comments btw.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

It’s a job with HMRC it’s adult based nothing to do with children I would say 
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

I think they were more concerned about the children aspect, that link only covers adults. But I’ve read about the activities relating to children and they don’t seem relevant either.
I’m sure he’s just misunderstood the rules.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

I have gone over this a number of times and can not see why they would need to do a barring check 
https://hub.unlock.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Regulated-activity-Adult.pdf

Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Simon - I was prepared for it to come up anyway, since I’m still unspent, so even if it had been basic, it would show, I’ll just have to wait and see what they say when I get further into the checks. There recruitment is slow.
My worry kicked in when someone said they thought it needed a barred list check as it was classed as regulated activity, but I kept saying to myself it isn’t.
As I say I’m not on the barred lists anyway, but if I attempted to do so, the DBS might reconsider hat decision.
Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being

Hi mark 
The role is exempt from the ROA so will be a standard or enhanced dbs, it won’t be a baring list check as there’s no regulated activity. On point of interest, jobs at HMRC are not only exempt from the ROA but also one of the small number of jobs that are exempt from from the filtering laws as well, so even if your conviction was filtered from a standard or enhanced dbs for jobs at HMRC they have to be disclosed 
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Standard or a normal enhanced check I mean.

I know if for some reason they did do a barred list check I’m not on the barred lists anyway as my letter from DBS confirms they decided not to place me on them.

However, it would probably flag up if I tried to work in reg activity and they might reconsider that decision , although I’m still convinced this role is not reg activity.

Had fo split into two replies - sorry.
Mark15788
Mark15788
Supreme Being

Slow recruitment the civil service.
Can someone clarify something for me.
They will run a DBS and obviously unspent is going to show - that’s fine.
My mate was saying they would do an enhanced with barred lists check as I have the potential to speak to vulnerable people, that’s not right is it?
I was expecting maybe standard of normal enhanced.

There’s no way a customer consultant role in a call centre is reg activity?
GO