theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Employment in the meat industry

Employment in the meat industry

Author
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)Supreme Being (95K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Hi all, I hope you are all safe.

I actually posted comments on the BBC site about the vicious language individuals were using against ex-offenders and their ignorance to the reality about us - especially ex SO's.
A lot of abuse came back.
I used polite words but some posts were removed - especially when I mentioned that with today's society definition of a sexual offence, it is suggested the majority of those who have been in a intimate relationship could have committed a Sex offence.

It seems the thought that ignorance is thriving in the world of social media is supported yet again.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
It would make commercial sense, but if they have prejudices against people with unspent convictions, or specific unspent convictions, they probably won't change. They'll just blame someone else, or Brexit, or lazy Brits or whoever. Amazon are prepared to pay a bonus of £1k to new starters, rather than drop their clean DBS policy, so I'd expect other employers to follow that line rather than be reasonable. Unfortunately. 🤬

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Simon1983
Simon1983
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Was thinking the same thing, i know Bernard matthews used to employ a lot of SO up in Norfolk then they had some issues when the press got hold of it and had to scale down who they took 
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)Supreme Being (53K reputation)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58303679

This story caught my eye. There seems to be vacancies in all sorts or areas now, for jobs which British workers don't want to do.
I wonder if the meat industry is so desperate now, that they are willing to employ any prisoners, including SO?
GO