theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travelling to UAE

Travelling to UAE

Author
scotboy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)Supreme Being (7.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
water97 - 9 Feb 22 10:00 PM
Hola - 9 Feb 22 9:40 PM
water97 - 9 Feb 22 7:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently planning on travelling to Dubai in April for a 5 day holiday, however I wanted to check if my previous conviction would restrict me from entering the country. I was charged in 2016, as a youth, for some indecent images and was sentenced to a 1 year youth offending programme. My conviction was quashed early by 2 months, and I am not on any register and my conviction has been spent for nearly 5 years now. From what I can tell from the UAE entry requirements, as a UK citizen, they would simply stamp my passport without asking anything - does anyone have any experience with this? Any feedback is welcome Smile

I was on the register for 3 yrs until 2015 and went to Dubai in Nov LY, no visa questions needed any 'lying' or avoiding answering so I would say you'll be fine

Thanks for getting back to me! I checked the FCO advice, contacted the UAE embassy in London and the Dubai immigration office as well, but nobody could give me a clear answer! Hopefully it should be okay... thank you once again Smile

You will have no problem getting into Dubai...don't complicate things by getting in touch with any embassies, there is no need to inform them of what happened in the past, the UK does not share information with the UAE.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)Supreme Being (159K reputation)

water97 - 9 Feb 22 10:00 PM
Hey everyone,

I am currently planning on travelling to Dubai in April for a 5 day holiday, however I wanted to check if my previous conviction would restrict me from entering the country. I was charged in 2016, as a youth, for some indecent images and was sentenced to a 1 year youth offending programme. My conviction was quashed early by 2 months, and I am not on any register and my conviction has been spent for nearly 5 years now. From what I can tell from the UAE entry requirements, as a UK citizen, they would simply stamp my passport without asking anything - does anyone have any experience with this? Any feedback is welcome Smile

I was on the register for 3 yrs until 2015 and went to Dubai in Nov LY, no visa questions needed any 'lying' or avoiding answering so I would say you'll be fine

Thanks for getting back to me! I checked the FCO advice, contacted the UAE embassy in London and the Dubai immigration office as well, but nobody could give me a clear answer! Hopefully it should be okay... thank you once again Smile

That's the thing about embassies - they will never give you a straight answer to this sort of question, as they always say they treat each case on its own merits. I take that to mean that if you have any doubts at all, please apply for a visa so we can judge you.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

water97
water97
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)

Hey everyone,

Hola
Hola
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

Hey everyone,

water97
water97
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)Supreme Being (349 reputation)

Hey everyone,

GO