theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Baseline Security Vetting DWP

Baseline Security Vetting DWP

Author
Mark15788
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sorry I cannot comment as I withdrew from the job offer and accepted a different one.

If it is a baseline check then they only look at unspent convictions.

Any other level may go further.

It would be best to ask what level they are asking for and take a look on gov website for information.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

punter99 - 4 May 23 11:07 AM
AB2014 - 4 May 23 10:53 AM
punter99 - 4 May 23 10:02 AM
AB2014 - 4 May 23 9:52 AM
punter99 - 4 May 23 9:47 AM
AB2014 - 4 May 23 9:00 AM
Barney - 3 May 23 2:24 PM
Hi Mark,

I find myself looking at the prospect of security clearance vetting as you did. I also have a spent conviction for a SO for which I got a two year community order, and a 5 year SHPO/SOR registration.

All now spent and have a new job. Now employer states they would like me to get security clearance. I’m unsure of the level. I am presuming spent records will be checked and this will go against me. I can accept that, but I don’t want the company, or anyone, knowing why.

How did you get on? Does the employer get to know details of the vetting and in the case of failure why that is?

Cheers

B

If you are going to have property security vetting, for access to sensitive information or sites, they will just be looking to see if you are a security risk. Do you have links to people involved in organised crime or terrorism, or suspected of involvement? I'm sure they check a lot of people with criminal records that the subject of the check sees as embarrassing, but it's all about national security.

What about the possibility of blackmail? If someone has a secret, then they could be a security risk. A foreign agent might threaten to reveal their conviction to the public, if they don't agree to work for the enemy.

That could apply to anyone with a criminal record that they've kept secret. There might be some prejudice involved, but I'm sure the security services would reassure anyone that they would want to know about attempted blackmail so that they can deal with it as a matter of national security.

The difference is that for an SO, having their conviction revealed could lead to the other employees refusing to work with them and them getting sacked as a result. Whereas if the person was a bank robber, the employer might say, give them a second chance. Then there are the other possibilities, of vigilante attacks, or their family being ostracised, if the conviction is revealed on social media, for example.

So SO have a lot more to lose, if their conviction is revealed and the security services, could say, why take the risk of hiring them.

That is all true, but the security vetting is only for security reasons, not for employment reasons. It's not their place to feed any information back, other than whether clearance is granted. I'm sure we could draw up a sliding scale of offences from worth a second chance to torches and pitchforks, so where do you draw the line? It's not a security matter for the vetting team to consider, and any potential effect on the person is a matter for them to weigh up. If that is used by an employer, it's just an excuse.

But presumably, if security clearance were not granted, the employer would want to know why?

They might well be curious, which is only human nature, but the reasons are none of their business. If the person can't do the job without clearance, then they can't have the job. The reasons for not granting are irrelevant, as the employer can't appeal.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

AB2014 - 4 May 23 10:53 AM
Hi Mark,

I find myself looking at the prospect of security clearance vetting as you did. I also have a spent conviction for a SO for which I got a two year community order, and a 5 year SHPO/SOR registration.

All now spent and have a new job. Now employer states they would like me to get security clearance. I’m unsure of the level. I am presuming spent records will be checked and this will go against me. I can accept that, but I don’t want the company, or anyone, knowing why.

How did you get on? Does the employer get to know details of the vetting and in the case of failure why that is?

Cheers

B

If you are going to have property security vetting, for access to sensitive information or sites, they will just be looking to see if you are a security risk. Do you have links to people involved in organised crime or terrorism, or suspected of involvement? I'm sure they check a lot of people with criminal records that the subject of the check sees as embarrassing, but it's all about national security.

What about the possibility of blackmail? If someone has a secret, then they could be a security risk. A foreign agent might threaten to reveal their conviction to the public, if they don't agree to work for the enemy.

That could apply to anyone with a criminal record that they've kept secret. There might be some prejudice involved, but I'm sure the security services would reassure anyone that they would want to know about attempted blackmail so that they can deal with it as a matter of national security.

The difference is that for an SO, having their conviction revealed could lead to the other employees refusing to work with them and them getting sacked as a result. Whereas if the person was a bank robber, the employer might say, give them a second chance. Then there are the other possibilities, of vigilante attacks, or their family being ostracised, if the conviction is revealed on social media, for example.

So SO have a lot more to lose, if their conviction is revealed and the security services, could say, why take the risk of hiring them.

That is all true, but the security vetting is only for security reasons, not for employment reasons. It's not their place to feed any information back, other than whether clearance is granted. I'm sure we could draw up a sliding scale of offences from worth a second chance to torches and pitchforks, so where do you draw the line? It's not a security matter for the vetting team to consider, and any potential effect on the person is a matter for them to weigh up. If that is used by an employer, it's just an excuse.

But presumably, if security clearance were not granted, the employer would want to know why?
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Hi Mark,

Cheers

B

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Hi Mark,

Cheers

B

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Hi Mark,

Cheers

B

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

Hi Mark,

Cheers

B

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being

Hi Mark,

Cheers

B

Barney
Barney
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)Supreme Being (85 reputation)

Hi Mark,

Cheers

B
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)Supreme Being (98K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Mark15788 - 14 Jun 22 10:45 AM
My offence was attempted sexual communication with a child. Received 2 year community order and 5 year SOR and SHPO. Community order ended. Programme completed and 11 months left on SOR and SHPO. They don’t make it easy either as I have to provide details of 2 people that can provide a character reference, they are allowed to be friends but not family and have to have known me for min of 3 years. That’s made hard by the fact I have no friends and because I’m in a reasonably new area I haven’t know. Other people for 3 years. I can see this getting messy.

Hi
Does it have to be local friends?
Do you still speak to anyone in your previous location? (not 100% clear on your statement above sorry) If so there's your answer hopefully. 
Your old doctor, or something like that? At a push as you are declaring how about the Probation Officer/PPU especially if all has gone well during the past 2 years.
Not the ideal solution but fingers crossed.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO