theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Monitoring Software

Monitoring Software

Author
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Richie - 18 Jun 22 12:41 PM
xDanx - 17 Jun 22 4:36 PM
Richie - 17 Jun 22 3:19 PM
Was - 17 Jun 22 10:34 AM
If monitoring software is not specifically mentioned in your SHPO then you can ask for it to be removed. It is specified in mine, giving the police a choice. Only on devices that hasn't had it installed are the rules about deleting internet history enforceable. For a couple of years I had a Windows Phone, which had no monitoring software available for it. My PPO just checked the internet history. I currently have an iPhone. I handed it in to my PPO and it was returned 2 days later with no software on it. They did an audit in January and, shock horror, "why is there no monitoring software on it?" "Because you didn't put any on it". This is why you must get everything in writing. Interestingly even now knowing there wasn't a monitor on it, they didn't install any.

It's a control thing, to let you know that they are in charge. In my experience a lot of what the PPUs do is done under "colour of law" and unlawful. Note the difference between unlawful and illegal. Unlawful is beyond their powers. Illegal is against the law. If a gentle word with your PPO doesn't work, unfortunately your only remedy is to challenge it in court.

Monitoring software has been installed on all my laptop(s). My force uses Guardware. I only have one left now, but it was previously on one that was stolen and one which stopped booting. I was having space problems on the one that was stolen which had prompted me to look for disk space savings. It appears to work in two modes. One is a key logger which searches for trigger words and phrases and uploads them to the police servers with severity flags. I did a search for "Child of Light" (which is both a video game and a soundtrack album of the game by Coeur de Pirate). This was deemed enough to trigger an out of band visit. I've had no other questions raised. And yes, it does take screen snapshots and saves copies of temporary video files (so it monitors your iPlayer and You Tube plays). My thought is that it periodically sends file hashes of those temporary files to the central servers and then deletes the local copy when that's finished. I say this because after 5 years if it wasn't deleting the local copies, I'd be needing  a 10Tb hard drive. I didn't dig any further, however, in 3 weeks my SHPO runs out so I'm thinking of seeing what it has actually been up to for the last 5 years for my own curiosity. 

Yes I have got Guardware installed on my laptop which I don't really have much of a problem with. It seems to work okay and doesn't really cause me any issues.

It is my tablet that really bugs me. I have eSafe installed on there (who I believe also makes Guardware). Everytime it starts up it asks me if I want to start casting to record my screen and audio which I always say yes to and then it is monitoring everything I am doing. I would have thought the software shouldn't prompt me and it would be a breach of my SHPO (not allowed to interfere or bypass monitoring software) if I said No.

The tablet also can not now be used to cast to my TV which I used to do from time to time as I would have to switch the eSafe Cast off which again would probably be a breach. I did accidentally switch it off the other day and I had to reboot the tablet to get it back on again.

Also when the battery got low the software stopped working and I had to restart it. It is bad enough having monitoring software on but I don't want to be responsible for ensuring it is working.

Guess I am stuck with it. I have been told by my officer that everyone is getting the software now but I can't help but think they are targeting me for some reason. Not sure why as I had fairly good visits from the police and have tried to work with them. 

Unfortunately my SHPO states that they are allowed to install risk management software. It doesn't though give any details of what this risk management software should do so I take it that what they have done is compliant and not worth fighting. It looks like they can install anything they like. It really winds me up with these orders that they are not more black and white and a little bit more in depth as there always seems room for interpretation.

As mentioned above, the SHPO should NOT contain positive actions. this includes providing information on devices and monitoring software. The smith court of appeal which I also linked also states that SHPOs should be drafted in such a way not to cause confusion to avoid accidental breaches. They should also be drafted to the facts of the case and not imply restrictions "just in case" you did this, did that. I do not recall what your offence was, but this is something you should amend ASAP because police are well known to not be trusted and will set people up to fail if it suits them. Remember, they are NOT your friends and will never tell you the truth.

Here is how it is written on my SHPO regarding the monitoring software

• They make the device available on request for inspection by a police officer, or police staff employee, and they allow such person to install risk management monitoring software if they so choose.

Whether this is a negative or a positive action I can't really say. However it is a standard line on most Internet SHPO's if you search the internet so I am assuming that the police/CPS have this covered. Whilst it might be challengeable in court I feel that if I refuse or remove the software this is an immediate breach of my SHPO. Unfortunately when you have a visit and they ask to do this you only have little time to agree to consent them to put the software on your devices.

My offence was internet based and was basically talking to an underage female in a chat room who turned out to be an undercover policeman. So I think the court was correct to give me an Internet SHPO although my solicitor/barrister didn't challenge this (but they were awful anyway which is a different long story)

What has made me even more annoyed is when I had the software installed I was asked to sign a contract to agree to additional conditions about notification to the police around devices. With the threat that if I do not follow these additional conditions they may go to court to apply for an amendment to my SHPO. This is something I am not sure they should be doing.

Although it is true they can get away with many things by simply rewording the restriction to allow their own interpretation, monitoring software is still in my view considered a positive action because it is still a form of providing information to the police. Much like the notification requirements, you are required to provide information such as: names, addresses, emails, contact numbers, bank info at specific times or face further punishment. SHPO's are designed to only include negative actions as it would conflict with the notification requirements which the smith court of appeal clearly states are two separate things and neither should cross that threshold. SHPO's are simply a tool for police to abuse and they rely on ignorance of those they monitor to continue that abuse.

Until it is taken back to court to appeal similarly to the Smith Court of Appeal that then updates the rules on how SHPO's are drafted and what they can not include, we are forced to abide by what is written in them until amendments are made.
I am aware of the new crime bill once passed will change SHPO's to allow positive actions to be included, I really hope it does not pass.

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

If monitoring software is not specifically mentioned in your SHPO then you can ask for it to be removed. It is specified in mine, giving the police a choice. Only on devices that hasn't had it installed are the rules about deleting internet history enforceable. For a couple of years I had a Windows Phone, which had no monitoring software available for it. My PPO just checked the internet history. I currently have an iPhone. I handed it in to my PPO and it was returned 2 days later with no software on it. They did an audit in January and, shock horror, "why is there no monitoring software on it?" "Because you didn't put any on it". This is why you must get everything in writing. Interestingly even now knowing there wasn't a monitor on it, they didn't install any.

It's a control thing, to let you know that they are in charge. In my experience a lot of what the PPUs do is done under "colour of law" and unlawful. Note the difference between unlawful and illegal. Unlawful is beyond their powers. Illegal is against the law. If a gentle word with your PPO doesn't work, unfortunately your only remedy is to challenge it in court.

Monitoring software has been installed on all my laptop(s). My force uses Guardware. I only have one left now, but it was previously on one that was stolen and one which stopped booting. I was having space problems on the one that was stolen which had prompted me to look for disk space savings. It appears to work in two modes. One is a key logger which searches for trigger words and phrases and uploads them to the police servers with severity flags. I did a search for "Child of Light" (which is both a video game and a soundtrack album of the game by Coeur de Pirate). This was deemed enough to trigger an out of band visit. I've had no other questions raised. And yes, it does take screen snapshots and saves copies of temporary video files (so it monitors your iPlayer and You Tube plays). My thought is that it periodically sends file hashes of those temporary files to the central servers and then deletes the local copy when that's finished. I say this because after 5 years if it wasn't deleting the local copies, I'd be needing  a 10Tb hard drive. I didn't dig any further, however, in 3 weeks my SHPO runs out so I'm thinking of seeing what it has actually been up to for the last 5 years for my own curiosity. 

Yes I have got Guardware installed on my laptop which I don't really have much of a problem with. It seems to work okay and doesn't really cause me any issues.

It is my tablet that really bugs me. I have eSafe installed on there (who I believe also makes Guardware). Everytime it starts up it asks me if I want to start casting to record my screen and audio which I always say yes to and then it is monitoring everything I am doing. I would have thought the software shouldn't prompt me and it would be a breach of my SHPO (not allowed to interfere or bypass monitoring software) if I said No.

The tablet also can not now be used to cast to my TV which I used to do from time to time as I would have to switch the eSafe Cast off which again would probably be a breach. I did accidentally switch it off the other day and I had to reboot the tablet to get it back on again.

Also when the battery got low the software stopped working and I had to restart it. It is bad enough having monitoring software on but I don't want to be responsible for ensuring it is working.

Guess I am stuck with it. I have been told by my officer that everyone is getting the software now but I can't help but think they are targeting me for some reason. Not sure why as I had fairly good visits from the police and have tried to work with them. 

Unfortunately my SHPO states that they are allowed to install risk management software. It doesn't though give any details of what this risk management software should do so I take it that what they have done is compliant and not worth fighting. It looks like they can install anything they like. It really winds me up with these orders that they are not more black and white and a little bit more in depth as there always seems room for interpretation.

As mentioned above, the SHPO should NOT contain positive actions. this includes providing information on devices and monitoring software. The smith court of appeal which I also linked also states that SHPOs should be drafted in such a way not to cause confusion to avoid accidental breaches. They should also be drafted to the facts of the case and not imply restrictions "just in case" you did this, did that. I do not recall what your offence was, but this is something you should amend ASAP because police are well known to not be trusted and will set people up to fail if it suits them. Remember, they are NOT your friends and will never tell you the truth.

• They make the device available on request for inspection by a police officer, or police staff employee, and they allow such person to install risk management monitoring software if they so choose.

Whether this is a negative or a positive action I can't really say. However it is a standard line on most Internet SHPO's if you search the internet so I am assuming that the police/CPS have this covered. Whilst it might be challengeable in court I feel that if I refuse or remove the software this is an immediate breach of my SHPO. Unfortunately when you have a visit and they ask to do this you only have little time to agree to consent them to put the software on your devices.

My offence was internet based and was basically talking to an underage female in a chat room who turned out to be an undercover policeman. So I think the court was correct to give me an Internet SHPO although my solicitor/barrister didn't challenge this (but they were awful anyway which is a different long story)

What has made me even more annoyed is when I had the software installed I was asked to sign a contract to agree to additional conditions about notification to the police around devices. With the threat that if I do not follow these additional conditions they may go to court to apply for an amendment to my SHPO. This is something I am not sure they should be doing.

I've not come across this before. If somebody is being asked to sign a separate contract with the police, which is effectively an additional SHPO to the one imposed by the courts, then I doubt that the judge would be impressed. Could even be contempt of court?
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

punter99 - 19 Jun 22 2:06 PM
I've not come across this before. If somebody is being asked to sign a separate contract with the police, which is effectively an additional SHPO to the one imposed by the courts, then I doubt that the judge would be impressed. Could even be contempt of court?

It's certainly unlawful and acting beyond their legal powers. Whilst they are quite inventive in twisting the words of a SHPO to mean something that wasn't intended, this is going beyond that. To amend a SHPO they have to go back to court and explain why they need it amended. That is the correct procedure. The difference is that they would have to explain to a judge why. 

Now whether it's worth fighting and one would prefer to avoid another court date (despite almost certainly "winning") is a separate matter. As an example the previously mentioned "pop-up". This informs me that I personally have to notify people that their communications may be intercepted. I don't. The software is licenced to the police, not me. It is their responsibility to do so under GDPR. It is an unenforceable condition. However, I made the value judgement that I'd prefer to not require them to live up to their data protection obligations to inform everyone I have online contact with and I just ignore it.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Was
Richie
Richie
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)Supreme Being (2.8K reputation)

The additional contract requires me to report loss/stolen devices to the police, tell them if I am going to sell the device or if I am moving out of the area.

None of these conditions are particularly onerous and all things that I would do anyway. However it does feel wrong that these should be put on me. It is probably an oversight of the original SHPO which should state how to handle devices no longer in my possession as there is nothing in there which stops me from selling a device without telling them and nothing that requires me to inform them if the device is loss/stolen.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Richie
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Was - 19 Jun 22 3:03 PM

It's certainly unlawful and acting beyond their legal powers. Whilst they are quite inventive in twisting the words of a SHPO to mean something that wasn't intended, this is going beyond that. To amend a SHPO they have to go back to court and explain why they need it amended. That is the correct procedure. The difference is that they would have to explain to a judge why. 

Now whether it's worth fighting and one would prefer to avoid another court date (despite almost certainly "winning") is a separate matter. As an example the previously mentioned "pop-up". This informs me that I personally have to notify people that their communications may be intercepted. I don't. The software is licenced to the police, not me. It is their responsibility to do so under GDPR. It is an unenforceable condition. However, I made the value judgement that I'd prefer to not require them to live up to their data protection obligations to inform everyone I have online contact with and I just ignore it.

If somebody has a contract with the police, rather than a court order from the courts, then it cannot be enforced by the criminal courts. If there is a breach, then all the police can do, is sue for breach of contract in the civil courts, which they would be unlikely to do, since it would expose their own attempts to bypass the correct procedure.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

punter99 - 20 Jun 22 11:20 AM

If somebody has a contract with the police, rather than a court order from the courts, then it cannot be enforced by the criminal courts. If there is a breach, then all the police can do, is sue for breach of contract in the civil courts, which they would be unlikely to do, since it would expose their own attempts to bypass the correct procedure.

Once again, I agree with what you say, but it's in someone's interests to report a lost or stolen device in these circumstances. Also, would you want to sell a device that has monitoring software on it? If you're going to move out of the area, or change your address, you have to notify the police anyway, so why include that in any agreement, compact or contract?

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Was
Was
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 20 Jun 22 12:01 PM
Once again, I agree with what you say, but it's in someone's interests to report a lost or stolen device in these circumstances. Also, would you want to sell a device that has monitoring software on it? If you're going to move out of the area, or change your address, you have to notify the police anyway, so why include that in any agreement, compact or contract?

Interesting points.

1) I had a break in. The thief stole one of my laptops. I reported it to the police as a theft. They dusted for prints. Made a crime report. I did not inform the PPU. However, I had the police report which I gave to my PPO when she asked about my laptop.
2) I bought  a new laptop. I left it at the police station. They installed monitoring software. The new laptop was defective. I returned it to Argos and got a new one.

I have no conditions referring to the disposal of equipment, just the acquisition of new "Internet connectable devices". I keep records and I'm prepared to justify it, but I don't inform. Similar with storage devices. I don't have to tell the PPU I have bought a new SD card, but I don't hide the fact either. I got harrumphing about a new 1TB back up device, but there was nothing they could complain about, I'm under no obligation to tell them of a new one, just to allow them access to them if they ask for it.

Agreeing to an alteration of your conditions can result in a criminal referral. I wouldn't, as good practice, extend any condition without consulting a solicitor first.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

I'm guessing that the police are responding to previous cases they have had, where an SO made use of some of these loopholes. If someone had downloaded something they shouldn't have, and wanted to cover their tracks, then they could sell the device, or tell the police, it had been sold, and dispose of the evidence. As for moving to a new area and not letting them know, there is a gap in the law currently, which allows a person to 'disappear' for up to 3 days, when changing address and that might give them an opportunity to do something naughty.

I wonder if it is just one rogue police force that are doing this? and presumably they are doing it for everybody who has an SHPO, and not just this one person. They may be trying to save costs, by not going to court, to get everybody's SHPO changed. 
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

punter99 - 20 Jun 22 3:45 PM

I'm guessing that the police are responding to previous cases they have had, where an SO made use of some of these loopholes. If someone had downloaded something they shouldn't have, and wanted to cover their tracks, then they could sell the device, or tell the police, it had been sold, and dispose of the evidence. As for moving to a new area and not letting them know, there is a gap in the law currently, which allows a person to 'disappear' for up to 3 days, when changing address and that might give them an opportunity to do something naughty.

I wonder if it is just one rogue police force that are doing this? and presumably they are doing it for everybody who has an SHPO, and not just this one person. They may be trying to save costs, by not going to court, to get everybody's SHPO changed. 

It might even be a rogue police station, or PPU department. I'm sure their colleagues would support them. They might well suspect SHPO breaches, and they might even be right in some cases, but I'm not sure there's any legal justification for adding in that sort of paperwork for everyone, or even anyone. After all, if you buy the device, and contact the police in writing to tell them and offer them the chance to install monitoring software, you've done your bit.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

Was
Was
Supreme Being

AB2014 - 20 Jun 22 3:55 PM
 After all, if you buy the device, and contact the police in writing to tell them and offer them the chance to install monitoring software, you've done your bit.

This is still down to the caprice of your local PPU. 

My paperwork says I need to inform them within 3 days. This I think was the intention from the courts. My PPU decided that that wasn't good enough and if I even dared to turn on a device I was in contravention and they told me I could be referred for a breach,.

So after that "edict" I had every bit of tech delivered direct to the local police station. To be fair, they actually did set up my laptop. But they couldn't be arsed setting up the last 2 phones I gave them.

It's all about control. The law and court orders are secondary.
GO