theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Litter picking with a S.O?

Litter picking with a S.O?

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Just wondering if some type of self employed litter picking/cleaning would be a good idea? Been listening to podcasts on self employment and an American guy did this with parking lots. Just wonder how to best approach/research ideas like this. Thanks
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

JamesZ - 2 Sep 22 2:04 PM
Just wondering if some type of self employed litter picking/cleaning would be a good idea? Been listening to podcasts on self employment and an American guy did this with parking lots. Just wonder how to best approach/research ideas like this. Thanks

Well, I'd say the first thing to do would be to check if anyone else is being paid to do it. If nobody is, then consider approaching whoever is responsible for that location and offer to do it for them for an agreed rate.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi
where I live it is local volunteers but goo luck as no harm trying.
I would suggest going to the Council and talking to the environment health team I would guess.
As I said good luck with your idea.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Was
Was
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

JASB - 3 Sep 22 2:16 PM

Hi
where I live it is local volunteers but goo luck as no harm trying.
I would suggest going to the Council and talking to the environment health team I would guess.
As I said good luck with your idea.

I think the best bet is to go for private landowners. This is because:

(1) unless one is going down the outsourcing route and setting up a substantial business and being prepared to go through the tender process, most councils have this function for cleaning up public areas already within their environmental services teams.

(2) If they have got their act together, they will have people performing "Community Service" doing it for free (although in reality there are some costs involved so not all do this, especially if their normal employees have strong union representation).

Council's have no obligation to perform clean up of private land, but they can issue a section 215 order mandating a land owner to clear up or repair land. They can charge to do it and recover the costs from the landowner which leaves the door open for wannabe entrepreneurs. A private graffiti clean up operation may also be an idea, but be aware that there will need to be health and safety assessments as it involves the use of chemicals.

Absolutely not doxing myself by revealing any more, but I may have some experience of these matters 😉
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

Thanks for the help guys
GO