theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Morocco when on the register

Morocco when on the register

Author
Harry
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)Supreme Being (13K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 30 Jan 23 3:38 PM
punter99 - 25 Jan 23 3:23 PM
JASB - 24 Jan 23 1:22 PM
I have seen on the nacro site that a brit does not need a visa to enter Morocco but does anyone have real life expereince of going there when on the SOR?
I appriecaite discussion have to be held with my PPU but researching issues first

Do British Citizens need a visa for Morocco?

British nationals don’t need a visa to enter Morocco for the purpose of tourism for up to 3 months.

Do I need to declare my conviction on entry to Morocco?

The landing card in Morocco does not ask for a disclosure of criminal records.  The information required are; full names, date and place of birth, nationality, country of residence, occupation, passport details, address in morocco and reasons for visit."

Cheers in advance

A while ago, my PPU mentioned there was a problem with SO getting into North Africa, but they have also said there is a problem with Spain too, which seems unlikely.

My main concern is that it could be on the list of high risk countries and that would be an automatic green notice. The only way to be sure, would be to get your PPU to contact their forces International Liaison team. They should know which countries are on that list. 

Hi Thanks and I have emailed my PPU to ask about Morocco and Egpyt. No reply as yet.

Let me know as I am looking for a winters break in either of these countries
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

JASB - 3 Feb 23 2:39 PM
punter99 - 2 Feb 23 11:33 AM
AB2014 - 2 Feb 23 11:15 AM
punter99 - 2 Feb 23 11:12 AM
Lineofduty - 2 Feb 23 10:28 AM
JASB - 31 Jan 23 12:15 PM

Hi
I have just received feedback from my PPU who basically look at the Gov website as they would not wish to provide incorrect info. I can and appriciate that logic but have asked if "they" notify anyone and so a "flag" is placed on a "low risk" ex-offender
Have you seen this list on the attachment ??

Good work. Will be interested to see what the list is used for, in future. Will SO be automatically banned from travel to those places, either through conditions in their SHPO, or by amending the 2003 SOA,  or will the current system of risk assessing people first, still be applied. 

Unless the law changes in England & Wales, SO can't be banned, so it would need another law change. However, a high-risk destination will probably lead to an automatic Interpol notice. You know, just in case.

The latest 2022 legislation amends the 2003 SOA, so that the courts have to consider including a foreign travel prohibition in the SHPO when sentencing. It's obviously intended to put pressure on the judges, to issue more travel bans. Whether they will do, if there is no evidence of someone having offended abroad, isn't yet clear. But the danger is that the judge might take the 'just in case' argument and run with it. If they do, then we are into that whole 'oppressive and unreasonable' debate again. 

As long as it is not respective as well!

I take it you mean retrospective? The thing is that we always suspected there was a list of high risk countries, which was being used as a guide, for when to issue green notices. Now we have confirmation, which is a good thing, because it tells us which countries to avoid, while on the SOR. But in effect, it is a retrospective travel ban on all SO going to those places.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi
I have just received feedback from my PPU who basically look at the Gov website as they would not wish to provide incorrect info. I can and appriciate that logic but have asked if "they" notify anyone and so a "flag" is placed on a "low risk" ex-offender

Good work. Will be interested to see what the list is used for, in future. Will SO be automatically banned from travel to those places, either through conditions in their SHPO, or by amending the 2003 SOA,  or will the current system of risk assessing people first, still be applied. 

Unless the law changes in England & Wales, SO can't be banned, so it would need another law change. However, a high-risk destination will probably lead to an automatic Interpol notice. You know, just in case.

The latest 2022 legislation amends the 2003 SOA, so that the courts have to consider including a foreign travel prohibition in the SHPO when sentencing. It's obviously intended to put pressure on the judges, to issue more travel bans. Whether they will do, if there is no evidence of someone having offended abroad, isn't yet clear. But the danger is that the judge might take the 'just in case' argument and run with it. If they do, then we are into that whole 'oppressive and unreasonable' debate again. 

As long as it is not respective as well!

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)Supreme Being (57K reputation)

AB2014 - 2 Feb 23 12:18 PM

Hi

Although there is reference to travel to a specific country, the wording of the amendment seems to mean a ban on all travel outside the UK. The person subject to the order has to hand in their passport if they have one, and it won't be returned until after the end of the order. So, if they don't want you going to SE Asia, you can't go to Calais on a day-trip, either.

Which may be why so few are issued. They are too oppressive.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)

Hi

Although there is reference to travel to a specific country, the wording of the amendment seems to mean a ban on all travel outside the UK. The person subject to the order has to hand in their passport if they have one, and it won't be returned until after the end of the order. So, if they don't want you going to SE Asia, you can't go to Calais on a day-trip, either.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

Hi

AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)Supreme Being (166K reputation)

Hi

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being

Hi

Lineofduty
Lineofduty
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)Supreme Being (1.9K reputation)

Hi
Attachments
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)Supreme Being (100K reputation)

punter99 - 25 Jan 23 3:23 PM
JASB - 24 Jan 23 1:22 PM
I have seen on the nacro site that a brit does not need a visa to enter Morocco but does anyone have real life expereince of going there when on the SOR?
I appriecaite discussion have to be held with my PPU but researching issues first

Do British Citizens need a visa for Morocco?

British nationals don’t need a visa to enter Morocco for the purpose of tourism for up to 3 months.

Do I need to declare my conviction on entry to Morocco?

The landing card in Morocco does not ask for a disclosure of criminal records.  The information required are; full names, date and place of birth, nationality, country of residence, occupation, passport details, address in morocco and reasons for visit."

Cheers in advance

A while ago, my PPU mentioned there was a problem with SO getting into North Africa, but they have also said there is a problem with Spain too, which seems unlikely.

My main concern is that it could be on the list of high risk countries and that would be an automatic green notice. The only way to be sure, would be to get your PPU to contact their forces International Liaison team. They should know which countries are on that list. 

Hi

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
GO