theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Spreading my name

Spreading my name

Author
Fylde-boy
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)Supreme Being (673 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have a request in with the court to vary an order.   The order was made when I lived at address A but I have lived at various addresses, having spent the last 5 years at address B.  I have notified the court and police of address B.

Today, I recieved a letter from the court at address B, CC'd to address A.

This contained my name, my current address and basics of my offence.  Has anyone done anything wrong here?  It seems unfair that the current occupant of address A now has my full details (Data protection?)
punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Fylde-boy - 7 May 23 12:42 PM
I have a request in with the court to vary an order.   The order was made when I lived at address A but I have lived at various addresses, having spent the last 5 years at address B.  I have notified the court and police of address B.

This contained my name, my current address and basics of my offence.  Has anyone done anything wrong here?  It seems unfair that the current occupant of address A now has my full details (Data protection?)

It certainly sounds like a breach of GDPR, but maybe the court has a set procedure for these instances.
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Hi

In essence your first priority is to stop any further documents going to another address than that you live at now.

Before anything else I would check the notification document you informed the various Authorities of the change to ensure you said you no longer lived at address A.
Once this is confirmed then contact the Court to ask them to confirm they rec'd it and if did why it was CC'd to address A.
Whatever the reply ensure their records now state only your current address.
Depending on any replies you have to think about your next actions.

In my case, I made my interactions with the Court admin polite and compassionate because I knew they had knowledge on processes I needed their help with my applications. This approach has been successful so far.

What you do depends on you and what damage has been done. For instance does anyone at the address A know you now or your location?  Or has there been any reaction at all? Even down to is anyone actually living there or if so did they just send it back or put the letter in the bin as not meant for them?

Just take 5 to think before reacting is all I'm suggesting.
Good luck

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
Lineofduty
Lineofduty
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

The notification of a change of registered address (and certainly one where that new address appears on say a driving licence) should be updated on police and agency records when you notify as
it does with change of D/Lic and Passports.
It's no excuse but i've seen copies of internal emails which have to be CC'd to a number of agencies and force dept's including the original PPU/Force dept if you've changes areas/counties.
Depending on the reply you get will determine any further enquiries, but even if it was a breach of GDPR you would have to show some distress or inconvenience that was occurring to get any
compensation. If you feel you have a case to answer then write to them first, then if no joy report the court and/or Force/xxxx to the IOC as this is free and they are independent.  If they were to rule
in your favour then you could use that "judgement" to apply for appropriate compensation.
GO