theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Travel To Europe

Travel To Europe

Author
Hornet
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
@punter99 thanks for that very useful Smile

punter99
punter99
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)Supreme Being (56K reputation)

Hornet - 6 Nov 23 2:09 PM
Hi Guys/Gals,
 I am new here so will introduce myself as I cannot post in the correct area, I was convicted in 2022 in a sting operation which people have said really was entrapment but cant do much and sentenced to 2 years, 1 year in prision which I served until August this year and 1 year on licence, have been put on the sex offenders register indefinately which I think is very harsh, realise I can contest it after 10 years but think I'll get legal advise prior to that, spoke to Visor team to understand my restriction and these are the replies:

"Thank you for your email. The USA, Australia, New Zealand have strict guidelines in place which you are aware of.

Generally Europe is fine. It would be advisable to avoid countries in the Middle East and countries which have poor human rights.

We do on certain occasions also notify countries of subjects intended international travel arrangements to share intelligence."

My suggestion would be to do your research on the countries entry requirements once you have narrowed down your destination choice.

Alternatively, like I said Europe is generally not an issue if you wanted to have that peace of mind.

from that it's so vague and you look at the countries entry requirements your interested in and you are no further forward I am surprised that they dont have a list for you so you know where you are, last thing I want to do it book somewhere get refused and returned back to UK paying for a holiday, any advise or help in the countries you can travel etc would be helpful.

The police very helpfully! published a list of those countries they regard as high risk.

Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Gambia, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco,
- Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Uganda, Vietnam

Avoid travelling to any of these when on the SOR, as you will almost certainly be refused entry. They do not automatically issue a notice, but it does depend on the risk level, both of the person and the country. So if you are regarded as a high risk person, they might still issue a notice, even if you are going to a low risk country.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

iowian - 6 Nov 23 8:34 PM
Hornet - 6 Nov 23 6:01 PM
Thanks for that we'll see was looking at Cape Verde towards end of next year nothing in etry requirements mentions anything.

I think you may want to check your length of notification requirement. It could be longer than 10 years. Whatever it is, don't  despair, it will end one day if you do as required.

For a two-year sentence, the notification period is ten years. Indefinite notification is for sentences of two and a half years or more.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Hornet - 6 Nov 23 6:01 PM
Thanks for that we'll see was looking at Cape Verde towards end of next year nothing in etry requirements mentions anything.

I think you may want to check your length of notification requirement. It could be longer than 10 years. Whatever it is, don't  despair, it will end one day if you do as required.
Steadfast
Steadfast
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

We do on certain occasions also notify countries of subjects intended international travel arrangements to share intelligence."

My experience is in Scontand, so mileage may vary... however... I was informed by the police that when you notify of over-seas travel the issue a notice 'as a matter of course'. I traveled overseas (Mainly Europe) several times when on the register and had no issues at all - some confused people at passport control but they eventually just wave you through. The thing that always hit me, was the return to the UK there was always a minor delay where a border control official had to type war and peace into his/ her computer. They never mentioned anything and chatted politely when doing what they were doing and were ultimately very professional. 

On a side note, you were caught and sentenced. Whether it was fair or not is a moot point. It is easy to harbour anger and resentment (been there), - but you are where you are. Concentrate on becoming a better person and getting on with your life and trying to be happy. Also, as time passes your risk will be assessed. If you are perceived to be low risk they will eventually want you off the register because you will just be an administration burden. Get your self into a good place - then think about that... jump through all the hoops until then.
Hornet
Hornet
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)Supreme Being (142 reputation)

LongAgo
LongAgo
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Hi Guys/Gals,
 I am new here so will introduce myself as I cannot post in the correct area, I was convicted in 2022 in a sting operation which people have said really was entrapment but cant do much and sentenced to 2 years, 1 year in prision which I served until August this year and 1 year on licence, have been put on the sex offenders register indefinately which I think is very harsh, realise I can contest it after 10 years but think I'll get legal advise prior to that, spoke to Visor team to understand my restriction and these are the replies:

"Thank you for your email. The USA, Australia, New Zealand have strict guidelines in place which you are aware of.

Generally Europe is fine. It would be advisable to avoid countries in the Middle East and countries which have poor human rights.

My suggestion would be to do your research on the countries entry requirements once you have narrowed down your destination choice.

Alternatively, like I said Europe is generally not an issue if you wanted to have that peace of mind.

from that it's so vague and you look at the countries entry requirements your interested in and you are no further forward I am surprised that they dont have a list for you so you know where you are, last thing I want to do it book somewhere get refused and returned back to UK paying for a holiday, any advise or help in the countries you can travel etc would be helpful.

From my experience Hornet save your money with regard to reducing your notification period. The length of notification period is related to your sentence. Non negotiable . On the upside you have a fixed period of notification. You don't have to ask for a review. Keep your nose clean and you're out of there one day.

I holidayed whilst on the register. Never had any problems in the EU,  but never even considered going beyond Europe. Too many unknowns for me. Go for it  and enjoy a foreign break.
However! Brexit came along and UK citizens no longer have freedom of movement in Europe. For the next couple of years you should still be able to travel unimpeded by the new post Brexit landscape. But a new visa waiver system is in the offing and this may make travel as difficult in Europe as any where else. All will be revealed when ETIAS is adopted. For now though make the most of it. Seems like you have a working relationship with your PPU officer,  and if they were going to forward any details detrimental to your attempt to visit Europe you would be advised not to go. 

Hornet
Hornet
Supreme Being

Hi Guys/Gals,

Edited
6 Months Ago by Hornet
GO