theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Facebook use with S O

Facebook use with S O

Author
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
JASB - 9 Mar 24 4:13 PM
JamesZ - 7 Mar 24 11:36 AM
Hi, is it a bad idea to use Facebook with an S.O?

My officer said I can use it but if I use anything other than my name I have to register an alias.

I only want to use it for buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace.

Thanks.

Hi
It is a fine balance between all the suggestions listed.

personally I would suggest you remove yourself from the "facebook" crowd as there are other less stressful sites to sell on.
I've never used Facebook and sold loads. Ok some charge fees but I do not have to be concerned with those who pretend to be "societies angels"; and have there own secrets to hide.

My last annual I was asked to inform them of any social media usernames so the Police do need to be informed.

Good luck in gaining a revenue.

Yeah Facebook/Big Bro knows all. Cheers
JASB
JASB
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)Supreme Being (99K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

My officer said I can use it but if I use anything other than my name I have to register an alias.

Thanks.

Hi
It is a fine balance between all the suggestions listed.

personally I would suggest you remove yourself from the "facebook" crowd as there are other less stressful sites to sell on.
I've never used Facebook and sold loads. Ok some charge fees but I do not have to be concerned with those who pretend to be "societies angels"; and have there own secrets to hide.

My last annual I was asked to inform them of any social media usernames so the Police do need to be informed.

Good luck in gaining a revenue.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope is for tomorrow else what is left if you remove a mans hope.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)Supreme Being (7.3K reputation)

JamesZ - 7 Mar 24 9:28 PM
xDanx - 7 Mar 24 4:29 PM
AB2014 - 7 Mar 24 1:54 PM

Thanks.

As I understand it, Facebook's terms and conditions don't allow personal accounts for anyone who has been convicted of a sexual offence. Business accounts are probably different, technically, but if the police say they don't mind so long as you use your own name then you shouldn't have to worry on that front. Just make sure you notify the police of the username on the account within three days.

I believe this is correct, Facebook's policies do state that anyone registered as a SO will not be permitted to use Facebook. Although using it is not against the law while convicted as a SO, unless Facebook get reports of the account from people who may know you and your conviction, there really is no way of them ever finding out.

As Mr W stated, if your case was reported on, friends who know you and fallen out with you could report the account unless you use an Alias. (and register it) The question then remains, your PPU will no doubt know about it due to checking your histories. Would they go as far as to report the account to Facebook themselves? I wonder

I personally avoid social media entirely now, it causes more problems than it does solve them, although I do kind of miss the market place lol. But I have friends who can help me find things of interest.

Thanks. Yeah. It was just to try and make some money. I hear of people doing well picking up free stuff like furniture and doing it up and flipping it for some good cash. I don't show up on a Google search, yet still kinda unsure. Free stuff is nice though! Guess there's always Gumtree too.
JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

xDanx - 7 Mar 24 4:29 PM

Thanks.

As I understand it, Facebook's terms and conditions don't allow personal accounts for anyone who has been convicted of a sexual offence. Business accounts are probably different, technically, but if the police say they don't mind so long as you use your own name then you shouldn't have to worry on that front. Just make sure you notify the police of the username on the account within three days.

I believe this is correct, Facebook's policies do state that anyone registered as a SO will not be permitted to use Facebook. Although using it is not against the law while convicted as a SO, unless Facebook get reports of the account from people who may know you and your conviction, there really is no way of them ever finding out.

As Mr W stated, if your case was reported on, friends who know you and fallen out with you could report the account unless you use an Alias. (and register it) The question then remains, your PPU will no doubt know about it due to checking your histories. Would they go as far as to report the account to Facebook themselves? I wonder

I personally avoid social media entirely now, it causes more problems than it does solve them, although I do kind of miss the market place lol. But I have friends who can help me find things of interest.

xDanx
xDanx
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)Supreme Being (25K reputation)

Thanks.

Mr W
Mr W
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)Supreme Being (39K reputation)

Hi James,
As long as there is nothing in your order about social media/Facebook the police cannot stop you. I've had multiple threats from my force about this "because of the terms and conditions" but it's a toothless argument and they've done nothing since.

On a more practical basis, if you were in the papers for your conviction, for example, I'd suggest using an alias (and registering it), especially if people are coming to your place to pick something up, just for your own safety. There is no issue with using aliases online as long as it's registered. You don't have to use a face pic in your profile pic either, just use a generic photo like a dog or a sunset or something.

=====
Fighting or Accepting - its difficult to know which is right and when.
AB2014
AB2014
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)Supreme Being (164K reputation)

Thanks.

=========================================================================================================

If you are to punish a man retributively you must injure him. If you are to reform him you must improve him. And men are not improved by injuries. (George Bernard Shaw)

JamesZ
JamesZ
Supreme Being

Thanks.
GO